Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-09-2017, 07:59 AM
Trapper

Thanked 4,051 Times in 789 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
I had a big problem with them for a while.

I quoted James 1:5 at them, we are taught by God, we don't need people to teach us. Then I told them about how I hand out Bibles in the ghetto. That shut them up pretty quick.

If they come back, and I answer the door, I would ask them why they only came after me when I live in a good neighborhood, why they never came to the ghetto, when I lived in the apartments with the dirty syringes, head shops, drug dealers, meth addicts, and prostitution. Don't they need God too?

I think that would do the trick.
God Bless you Kitty!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Revelations 8 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 09:02 AM
Clinging to my guns

Thanked 75,614 Times in 20,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper View Post
I basically told them that I did bible study and never came to have any belief and they still come by to talk about things like solar power and have tea . I figure if they can be polite and call and make an appointment , then I can be polite and visit with them on my own terms. I have never once found them to be anything other than sincere and upstanding people and strong in community which we can all learn from.
Good points!

And I agree, most are very good and decent people who believe very strongly in what they are doing. Some people like to tell stories like they opened their bibles and read a few verses and they ran away screaming and yelling....it simply doesn't happen like that.

Most JW's are very versed in scripture and have well prepared answers for just about anything. It could go on for hours if you let it. They train over and over again and are very good at point/point debates. I'm sure some might encounter a young teenage girl with little experience, but a veteran JW can easily go toe/toe for hours and is well prepared.

I have so many serious differences with their sect I just don't even consider having some front porch debate. I just treat them with respect and some dignity even though we have massive differences.

I'm not there to pump up my ego and pretend I "whacked them a good one for Jesus" but rather try to be considerate and just know the Holy Spirit might have used me in some way.

The older I get the more I try to get out of God's way and know He's the changer of hearts and not me.
The Following User Says Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 01:07 PM
POLICE DETECTIVE (ret)

Thanked 1,101 Times in 334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations 8 View Post
God Bless you Kitty!
I worked a high crime black ghetto area for years as a cop and never saw any JW's there Kitty! Guess they didn't want to get assaulted, robbed or murdered?
The Following User Says Thank You to Neut Anderson For This Useful Post:

Old 04-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,438 Times in 682 Posts

After three months of putting up with them at the door every week I had a rather lengthy conversation with their head elder at 2:30 one morning. He finally said if you have a sidewalk or driveway leading to your house that is implied consent for them to come to your door and there is nothing you can do about it. The only way to stop them was to post a sign saying Jev. witness--keep out. The sign finally worked.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:35 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 13,800 Times in 3,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule4 View Post
I always just tell them "I'm not interested, religion isn't my thing" and they have always just turned around and walked away. I've never really had a problem with them. I only get them walking down my driveway once every few years.
I tell them something similar. It's not technically a lie. I haven't had any at the house in a long while.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:44 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 144,383 Times in 42,552 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I have a simple solution. I simply don't answer to unexpected visitors. Never have. The way I figure it, friends and family always call first. To see if I'm home, if I'm busy or have time for company, etc. Strangers always want something from me, or to sell me something. Why bother going to the trouble, just to tell them no, anyway?

I'm under no obligation to answer my door. Same as I'm under no obligation to answer my phone. And I do it the same way. I won't answer to someone I don't recognize. They can leave a message, and if there's a need, I'll call back.

Just like I make use of the ignore features online, I do so out in the world too.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 02:53 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 66,357 Times in 22,045 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootie View Post
After three months of putting up with them at the door every week I had a rather lengthy conversation with their head elder at 2:30 one morning. He finally said if you have a sidewalk or driveway leading to your house that is implied consent for them to come to your door and there is nothing you can do about it. The only way to stop them was to post a sign saying Jev. witness--keep out. The sign finally worked.
A certified letter from a lawyer can work as well, then its a trespassing charge. . . .
Old 04-12-2017, 02:54 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,840 Times in 1,499 Posts

For me, if/when I open my door and in some seconds know who it is, be it salesmen or JWs, I give a firm and simple, "No thanks" and close the door. No arguments. No anger. No meanness. No lying. No excuses. No hiding. No time wasted. Besides, they're the ones walking in the ridiculous Arizona heat, not me. Hope they're wise enough to bring and drink lots of water.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clocker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 02:54 PM
Trapper

Thanked 2,537 Times in 684 Posts

Tell them you were born and raised as a JW and you left because they are full of it.

All JW's, just like the Mormons are not allowed to associate with those that were given their "truth" and rejected it. Works every time.

Acting crazy works too. Tell 'em to get the **** out and yell "SATAN" a bunch of times.

Last edited by MikeK; 04-12-2017 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: Do not bypass the language filter. Not even 1 letter. Reread site rules for clarification.
The Following User Says Thank You to mauser6863 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 03:04 PM
Prepared

You can always move to Russia.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...oup/100701524/
Old 04-20-2017, 03:52 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 20,138 Times in 6,654 Posts

They used to do that to me too, until I invited them in. Once they were in my domain, I put a little scare in to them. Now, they avoid my house like the plague.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:24 PM
Combat Vet, Patriot, RN

Thanked 28,618 Times in 6,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1 View Post
If you witness back to them about how Jesus IS God and give them your literature with scripture they won't be back. Works with mormons too. BUT be ready. You better know your Bible and reasoning behind it all because they surely know theirs.
Mormons are easy to deal with. Just accept the card they give you and that's it. I've lived next door to Mormons before the Army and they only ever offered to help move furniture and stuff, said hi when passing, gave me a card one time. I had tons of Mormon friends in the Army. Never had an issue.

The JW? Mm. Answer the door and tell them "not interested and close it". If they persist, let them watch you call the police because now, they're trespassing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBryan314 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 04:37 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,443 Times in 741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neut Anderson View Post
The JW's hit my neighborhood every week or so and completely ignore my door sign that says "NO SOLICITING". I've tried lots of ways to get them to stop bothering me with their cult-BS but so far nothing has worked. Am thinking about encouraging every little boy they drag along with them to "JOIN THE MARINE CORPS WHEN YOU GROW UP!" thinking that may do the trick. But who knows?

Anyone have a sure fire way to get them to stay away?
Grow a little skin.
The Following User Says Thank You to nkawtg For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 07:40 PM
Republic of Texas

Had them show up about a week ago. Older gentleman and a young boy. The boy did all the talking. I let him talk then politely told them I was Baptist. Kid responded with "Okay, we respect that" and they left.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OneFrugalPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 07:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,387 Times in 2,786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser6863 View Post

All JW's, just like the Mormons are not allowed to associate with those that were given their "truth" and rejected it. Works every time.
Where did you hear that BS?

Gotta tell you...it isn't even close to true.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,875 Times in 5,493 Posts

Is this really such a problem for some of you people? I was in the yard just yesterday, two women parked their car on the street, I was in the front yard kicking the soccer ball with my 4 year old daughter and they had just left the neighbors porch, I didn't identify them as JW, I just thought they were maybe selling something. They walked up the drive, commented about the beautiful little daughter, handed me a pamphlet and left. I took it and put it in my pocket, and later tossed it in the garbage when they left. It didn't ruin my day, believe it or not.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 08:45 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz77 View Post
Is this really such a problem for some of you people? I was in the yard just yesterday, two women parked their car on the street, I was in the front yard kicking the soccer ball with my 4 year old daughter and they had just left the neighbors porch, I didn't identify them as JW, I just thought they were maybe selling something. They walked up the drive, commented about the beautiful little daughter, handed me a pamphlet and left. I took it and put it in my pocket, and later tossed it in the garbage when they left. It didn't ruin my day, believe it or not.
Some of them are more aggressive than used car salesmen. You got a nice one.
The Following User Says Thank You to JKH For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 11:01 PM
Survivor, so far

Thanked 106,344 Times in 15,481 Posts

I had a friend in New Mexico that would see them
in the neighborhood and he answered the door
naked and invited them in to drink and fornicate.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:06 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,005 Times in 825 Posts

I told them I felt like Judas went to heaven because he fulfilled a vital role in the progression of Jesus to the cross and ascension to heaven.

They never came back after that - had been here 4 or 5 times.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
Old 04-21-2017, 08:27 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,405 Times in 977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
Last time they caught me in my driveway, I just told them that I have my own religious beliefs and am firm in them. They wished me a good day, I wished them they same back and they went on their way. Entire encounter lasted about 30 seconds.

While I disagree with their beliefs, I understand that they are trying to do what they believe is the right thing. Never felt the need to be rude to them.
Pretty much what I do.
I understand they are supposed to spread the word.
I tell them thank you,but I'm happy with my church,have a good day.
If they don't leave,I just shut the door.
The Following User Says Thank You to cook For This Useful Post: