Gather around the campfire OR Never step on the Butterflies - Page 9 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Step ONE Mogli Communications 8 10-17-2016 09:00 AM

Old 04-17-2017, 04:07 PM
Does not play well

Thanked 3,509 Times in 899 Posts

Advertise Here

It seems to be the same story told by every warrior that I know. Another one of my friends is going through a divorce currently. He was a captain in the Army. He just got out in Sept. His wife decided to let some dude move in while he was in Afghanistan. He decided to surprise her by showing up unannounced while on leave. She wasn't happy. He figured out later that the dude was in his house, probably in his bed when he showed up at the front door.

Why is it hard to stay faithful?

MM
The Following User Says Thank You to MountainMan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 07:01 PM
Prepared

Thanked 6,385 Times in 387 Posts
Default Hard to pin down, sort of.

The very best most optimistic figures compiled say that 50% of marriages end in divorce. Other sources say three in five end in divorce. A lot of that depends on if your talking about first marriages or second, third marriages.

There is now information showing that 25% of people who have never been married are making the conscious decision to stay single. Of those who have been married 46% are staying single.

Considering how some of my friends ended up after a divorce where they hadn't done anything wrong, I can understand men especially, deciding to stay single.

Of course you can try other polls or research and maybe the numbers will be slightly better or slightly worse but all in all marriage and monogamy isn't looking like the only option for people today.

Consequently if you find yourself in a relationship whether it is a marriage or just a relationship, that you decide was a mistake, what do you do?

A lot of people don't have the guts to just get out. Could be financial or could be losing the support of your family etc.. so what are your options? Cheating becomes attractive because you can have your cake and eat it too. Until you get caught of course.

Personally I have to wonder about tens of thousands of years of trying to create as many babies with as many different women as possible and how much of that is passed down in our genes. After all, monogamy is a learned social custom not a survival imperative.

No I don't advocated cheating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! End your current situation then move on!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MayDay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 07:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,012 Posts

Well done and well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-17-2017, 08:03 PM

Great add on!
Old 04-17-2017, 08:44 PM

thanks for the story and thanks for using it for a platform to raise awareness for ptsd afflicted heroes
Old 04-18-2017, 12:52 AM

ptsd is a hell of a thing to live with ..believe me i know ..some times you think you have a handle on it .i had even before i enlisted ..i just micro managed it for so long ..put it away in draws ..i had to ..it is also why marine boot camp was fun for me .but at the same time gave me a constructive out let ..

but there was 2 other phases before that ..the hands on and mental abuse at home ..then my stay in the nj state system as a juvi in need of shelter ..so i had 2 systems i had to survive 14 years at home 4 years as ward of the state ,,do the words im from the gov and im here to help you come to mind ..tell you what those 4 years in state care preppared me for life ..but dad made sure i could do it ..ever do rifle drill with an o3 springfield as child ..

the cheating stuff i love it as they think your are stupid ..but get dumb founded when you turn it all around on them ..

which goes back to ptsd ..when things dont match what people say and do trust comes up ..guys in the mil learn real fast who to trust to their job real fast out on the field ..

i learned as child that got beat because i was middle child ..learned it as a child in the state system ..do what you need to do to survive ..then marines

then a cheating house wife ..thank god i was not married ..i had money saved back in so many different ways she did not know about .but for some reason i trusted a feeling ..there are triggers and me i have more then most ..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrkk1562 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 10:18 PM

Hello. Mayday,

I just finished "Skein" and found it to be great. One problems though is that it is not finished. What follows?
Thanks.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:38 PM
Hunter

^^^^ what he said.......lol

Old 04-19-2017, 12:23 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,716 Times in 587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Hello. Mayday,

I just finished "Skein" and found it to be great. One problems though is that it is not finished. What follows?
Thanks.
Raymond,

A complete "Skein" can be found on Amazon....

Texican....
Old 04-20-2017, 09:14 AM
Hunter

I hope there will be a sequel...the book was amazing and worth the price!

Old 04-20-2017, 08:38 PM

Texican....

Yes. exactly. that IS the one I just finished. We need a sequel to carry the story forward. He cant leave us in the middle of a nuclear winter with bad guys wandering around looking for Lucas and Madd. What about all those buses full of select women in K.C.? The cabal needs competition.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:08 PM
Prepared

Default Intentions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post

Texican....

Yes. exactly. that IS the one I just finished. We need a sequel to carry the story forward. He cant leave us in the middle of a nuclear winter with bad guys wandering around looking for Lucas and Madd. What about all those buses full of select women in K.C.? The cabal needs competition.
This is what I posted in the Skein thread on this forum when asked the same question in that thread. The following is still my intention. Please keep in mind that I don't write for a living. Writing is a hobby. Like most folks I am not able to devote as much time as I might wish to my hobbies. : )

"Quote:
Originally Posted by htfiremedic View Post
Absolutely, now... is there going to be a sequel? I loved the book! Hope the review helps, it was from the heart! Good work, great reading!

"HT
I am being quit sincere when I say my intention is to write at least one more Tuesday/Wednesday book. At least one more Skein book. At least one more Never step book. And pull the story lines together in those books.

OR some combination that allows the three series to pull closer together ideologically and probably geographically.

Can I pull it off? Will life allow me to reach that goal? Will I live that long? I don’t know and can’t even guess.

To be completely honest I have only the faintest of faint glimmers as to how to go about pulling them all together.

Time is always, always, an issue. Right now I am doing my best to finish up Don’t Step. I have a story/book plus a short story beating at the back of my head at the same time that are not related to any of the series I mentioned above.

In a perfect world I would be able to pull the three series together, talent wise, time wise, and mentally wise before moving to a different set of story lines.

Unfortunately the part of my mind that stories come from doesn’t always cooperate with what I want to do.

Story ideas that pop into my mind tend to be like what we are told about learned skills. Either use them or lose them. Sometimes writing the snippet of an idea down and going back to it later works. Sometimes it doesn’t

There is another roadblock in the mix. The family of Po was a side story folded into the Tuesday/Wednesday series. I had always intended to flesh that story line out, make it a standalone story that concluded in the Po family moving in with Madd’s group. I have never done anything with the idea except to have it. I can’t decide if I want to go that way.

Bottom line. Yes I intend to work on the three story lines more. The active word here is “intend”. Of course we all know where roads paved in good intentions lead.

Sorry about all the rambling. I know I was essentially asked what time it is and then proceeded to explain how a clock is built but I didn’t know how else to explain the swamp my mind is."

I don't know if this helps or not but I can't make any more of a promise than that I intend too work on them.

Thanks to all of you who are following my stories for coming along for the ride. Without you I wouldn't bother to post the stories on the forum.

Take care, be well.

MayDay
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MayDay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 01:13 PM
Hunter

God Bless and I'm ALL IN!

Old 04-21-2017, 02:07 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,716 Times in 587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post

This is what I posted in the Skein thread on this forum when asked the same question in that thread. The following is still my intention. Please keep in mind that I don't write for a living. Writing is a hobby. Like most folks I am not able to devote as much time as I might wish to my hobbies. : )
MayDay
MayDay,

Have you considered playing the lottery and wining it and then you could write full time....

Texican....
Old 04-21-2017, 02:18 PM
Prepared

Default Oh ya!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texican2 View Post
MayDay,

Have you considered playing the lottery and wining it and then you could write full time....

Texican....
I've considered it, boy have I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol So far: MayDay ZIPP The state on the other hand can now open a new kindergarten class! : )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MayDay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 02:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,266 Times in 1,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post

I've considered it, boy have I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol So far: MayDay ZIPP The state on the other hand can now open a new kindergarten class! : )
Well you know the old Quib, the house always wins
Old 04-21-2017, 02:25 PM
Prepared

Default Gather around the campfire OR Never step on the Butterflies

I can’t tell you how he made it in that condition but he did. It was a miracle he hadn’t ended up in a ditch. I left him lying there while I checked the truck and trailer for damage. Nothing looked like it had been in a collision. I heaved a sigh of relieve. At least it didn’t appear he was running from law enforcement. While I walked around I called both David and Mac to let them know Roger had made it and his condition.

Even standing over him he was so rank I was tempted to hose him down and use one of the long handled scrub brushes we used on the vehicles to clean him up. Did I mention he had thrown up on himself and let it dry, repeatedly? Not only that there was the unmistakable aroma of urine and feces.

I didn’t figure he would fry on the hot pavemen all that fast so I left him lying there and went looking for one of the gas powered flatbed carts we used around the airport. They were about the size of a golf cart but had 4’ X 6’ bed behind the front seats.

Roger wasn’t a tall guy but he was built like a fireplug and had dense muscles. It looks easy in the movies but actually heaving a completely unconscious 200 pound guy up off the cement and lifting him onto the back of a vehicle takes some skill. Well, it doesn’t take much if you don’t care what you break while doing it. The worst part is that their arms or legs are totally limp and get in the way when you lift them. I figured Roger was ugly enough without me smashing his face into something.

There wasn’t a clean spot to grab anywhere on him. I seriously thought about grabbing him by his shirt front right under his chin then grabbing his balls to lift him up. Since he was a friend I settled for his belt. Both spots were slippery from things I didn’t want to know about.

That’s what friends are for, right? Grabbing a handful of puke, right?

I picked him up waist high and walked him on from the back of the bed. That way his arms and legs tended to ease up onto the flatbed instead of hanging down around the edges like they would if I tried getting over the side.

I took him back to the hangar where we had our rooms and used the double doors on the side of the building that couldn’t be seen from the airport proper. That way I could just drive him right up to the door next to the shower.

I wasn’t sure that any laundry detergent or bleaching product would ever make his T shirt and jeans clean enough to wear. Another thing they make sound easy in the movies is undressing an unconscious person with damp clothes. I thought about just cutting his clothes off. I would have had to if he hadn’t lost so much weight. He must have lost at least fifteen pounds.

I stood there trying to decide to cut or not to cut. Mac came in behind me and looked down at Roger.

“Good lord Earl, let’s cut that crap off him and throw it outside. This may not be the Ritz but it isn’t a sewer either.

With Mac’s help and a Cold Steel folder I cut everything off except his belt and his cheap sneakers. I was right, he had crapped himself. We used lots of paper towels and hand sanitizer to clean him up.
We were at a loss as to what to do with him. We could get him inside and even might wedge him in or tiny shower but we would never be able to reach enough of him to get him clean.

It was hot in the hangar and by consensus we left him on the wooden cart bed and ran a hose out to him. It was from the cold water side but we figured he wouldn’t know or care.

It took us forever to roll him turn him and hold him in position but finally we had used a whole bottle of liquid soap and a bunch of clean shop rags to scrub him down. Then came the fun part, getting a somewhat wet naked guy through a door and into the shower. Did I mention that he didn’t even notice what we were doing?

It took some work but Mac and I got him wedged into our little shower. We had an on demand water heater bolted to the wall right outside the shower so at least we had plenty of hot water. We made the water as hot as we dared and took turns making sure he was still breathing and gave him another scrubbing. When he was mostly clean and warm enough we rolled him out onto a winter cotton sheet and dried him with towels. He was a lot easier to heave onto the bed now that he was dry. I piled a blanket on him and went for his rig. I brought it over to our place before going back to work.

Mac used the computer to do some work online and checked on Roger from time to time.

David landed just shy of dinner time so we decided to eat at the diner. We tried to wake Roger but he was still unconscious.

The next morning I left him a note and went out to help with a private jet.

At lunch I went to check on Roger and found all the drawers and cabinets open as if they had been searched and him naked and asleep on the concrete floor.

Enough was enough, he had been out of it for almost twenty-four hours. I started gently kicking the bottom of his feet. When that didn’t seem to be doing much good I took a yardstick I found when we move in and slapped the bottom of his right foot with the flat side as hard as I could. It made a most satisfying smacking sound.

Roger reared up bellowing like a breaching whale.

“What the hell man?”

“You know the old saying, “You’re beautiful when you’re angry?”

Roger was having a hard time following but finally said, “Yah, I guess so.”

“Well you’re naked on a cement floor, looking like something the cat drug in and I am here to tell you, you are pretty damn ugly!”

“Screw you. I need a drink.”

I didn’t say anything.

“I said I need a drink, damn it!”

I just kept staring at him.

“I’ll get it myself, where is it?”

He was hung over, grumpy and mean. I waved around at all the open drawers, cupboards and all the stuff he had dumped out of them.

He looked at me not understanding. It took a minute then he got it.

“I did that?”

I just looked at him.

“OK, OK I’m sorry. I’ll clean it up but I need a drink first.”

“Look pin head. If you take a little look around you will note that you didn’t find anything to drink when you searched the place. What do you suppose happened, the cheap booze gremlins dropped of a couple of cases?”

“You don’t have anything to drink?”

He said it like I’d told him I didn’t have any air to breathe.

I just shook my head and looked at him like I was seeing dog droppings on my floor.

“OK, I got it I’ll go get it myself. Where are my clothes?”

“Step outside into the hangar. Turn left go about fifty feet down toward the back and open the big metal can.”

Roger had to use the desk to help pull himself up and then staggered to the door. He had to stand there a minute until the room stopped spinning and he could walk. Finally he made it to the trash can. I walked out behind him, I really wanted to see him open that can.

The can had been closed ever since I threw his crap in there. Roger pried the lid off and looked in. The light back here wasn’t all that good so he had to ben over and peer into the can. Maybe I should have warned him not to get too close and definitely not to breathe.

It could be, that I might have, a small streak of ******* in me. I found myself smiling when he fell to his knees and started heaving into the can. That was a mistake because he had to get his head even closer. Then he heaved anywhere but in the can.

I took pity on him and helped him back to the shower. I had taken the time last night to search for his go bag and brought it in. It was hanging on a hook where we hung our coats. Roger had been so out of it he never saw it until I pointed it out. I had checked, he didn’t have any clean clothes, just some cleanish clothes in there.

While he struggled with his clothes I made coffee. I made it strong enough to crawl out of the cup on its own.

“I have a couple things to do that will take my two, three hours. By then Mac and David will be back around and we can go to dinner.”

When I mentioned food he looked like he might need another trip to the shower but he managed to hold on.

“Coffee’s great but I need a drink.”

“You want a drink, but you sure as hell don’t need one! If you wanted to kill yourself you could have done that back home. Why come out here and make your friends watch you commit suicide? You hate us that much?”

Roger seemed at a loss for words. Finally he said, “Thanks for the sympathy *******!”

“You and I made each other a promise once. We swore if one of us was wounded and the sand sheiks were going to get him so they could torture him, the other guy would put a round through his head.”

Roger got the message. “I guess it isn’t that bad yet.” He managed a ghost of a smile.

I told him, “I won’t pretend to know what you are going through. I can’t wrap my head around it yet. But we need you with us. You have friends who need to know they can depend on you. Think about that and let us know if you are with us or if you need one of us to show you sympathy and mercy.”

I sounded harsh even to myself, but if I helped him continue feeling sorry for himself, then I would start feeling sorry for myself, and then we could walk hand in hand into a chopper blade.

I left to finish up my work day.

Roger hung with me for two days and I let him help with some minor jobs. I took him to meet the nice folks who ran the dinner and introduced him to Jerry and his wife. He seemed to be pulling it together. On the third day Mac took him out to the farm and got him settled in.

The weather was going to crap. Rain started falling steadily with no end in sight. It was looking like we were in for a long four or five days of drizzle or rain. The only ones at the farm were Mac, Roger and four others. Everyone else had gone to spend time with a relative of one kind or another or were getting help with medical problems.

Especially in bad weather Jerry had us carry radios. He or his wife ran the base station so we could contact each other. It was looking like we might get enough rain to be a problem and Jerry told David and I to take off until after the weather broke. It was a nice gesture but the real reason was that Jerry couldn’t afford to keep paying us if all we did for the next week was sit around on the clock.

I was getting my stuff together for the trip to the farm when Jerry called and asked me to come up to the main building. When I got there I found Raquel and Julieta standing in the small lobby talking with Jerry.

I felt my face go numb and must have groaned out loud because they both looked like they had been gut shot.

Jerry looked at me then at them and made for the stairs and disappeared.

Raquel was smart I’ll give her that. She started apologizing as soon as she saw me. The impressive part was that while she didn’t know exactly what had happened she knew it was connected to Julieta showing up unplanned and unannounced.

I’d given up trying to decide when women were being sincere. Julieta was looking misty eyed and also apologizing as fast as she could.

It was almost funny because Julieta had no idea what to be sorry for, but if it would get Raquel and maybe her back in my good graces she was game to try.

I kept standing there trying to decide what to do. Once again instinct told me to walk out, find Mac and David, warm up David’s plane and get back to the farm ASAP.

Since I wasn’t running or talking Raquel must have decided it was safe to walk closer and put a hand on my chest. For once she had on flat boots. Probably because she thought them appropriate for farm country.

Looking down at her she would have been no bigger than a kid, if I had been seeing her. She was looking up at me with those big blue eyes and I wasn’t seeing them. I wasn’t seeing anything in the room at all. My brain had crawled into a dark room I kept tightly shut way down in the subbasement. I carefully weighed the pros and cons.

She had driven a thousand miles on the chance she might be able to calm me down. She hadn’t give up when I disappeared. She wasn’t desperate for a man, she had dozens hitting on her if not every night then every week. She was intelligent and well read. She had a sense of humor and a sense of the ridiculous.

There was at least one con. She was a city girl born and bred. How would she do if things really got bad the way I suspected? Maybe that wasn’t all that important. If the world really went boom, a lot of city girls would be ready to learn new ways if it meant survival.

I started out by telling them, “I’m not easy to be around. As you have seen I have issues with certain kinds of situations. When I feel I have been tricked or if I believe someone, especially a female someone is trying to manipulate me or give me orders, I react adversely. I don’t do well when things are sprung on me.”

“I got that message loud and clear. I will never do anything like it again. I’ll never go against you, ever. I realized that your leaving was my own fault. I was trying to be too cute and tricky. Sometimes I can be my own worst enemy.” Raquel told me.

It was hard but I made the decision to believe in her until she proved me wrong.

“How long can you two stay?” I asked.

“I can stay two days or two months whatever you want. I might have to call my roommate and have her put my stuff in storage and call work and school to let them know I won’t be back. It’s up to you. Send me back when you are ready.” Raquel told me.

“I wish I could say same deal for me but I have to be back in two weeks for work. But like Raquel said, two days or two weeks, just tell me what you want me to do and how long you want me to stay.” Julieta said.

They were nice kids and I know I should be feeling all warm and fuzzy but it was going to take a long time before I could really warm up to them.

“Wait here I need to talk with my friends.”

They looked a little panicky. I don’t think they believed I was really coming back but they stayed put.

Outside I found the guys at David’s plane and told them about Raquel and Julieta showing up.

“I can’t ask them to stay in our rooms in a drafty hangar. But I’m also worried about asking them to the farm. The new housing is nice enough for anyone but that brings up the question of OPSEC.” I told them.

They thought about it but Mac was the first to speak.

“I’m not sure that OPSEC is a problem. Long before we decided to work on some kind of retreat the guys around here knew we had an out of the way farm. Heck some of them probably could figure out pretty close to where it is.

All we have to do with your friends is tell the truth. We stick to the true story that we want to build things up so we can help other vets. The new housing is for those vets, which it is, even if we have to move it to a remote location. We just don’t mention the fact they can be moved. I don’t see how it’s a problem.”

David agreed but said something odd. “Glade you guys agree with me,” and went back to checking the plane.

I looked at Mac with a question. All he could do was cast a funny look at his brother and shrug at me.

I went to talk to the girls, then if they still wanted to go, gather up their luggage.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:17 PM

Mayday I apologize if I offended by suggesting the D.S. option, I wasn't trying to suggest underhandedness. Thank You for your continued work and again I am looking forward to another to buy to have!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:39 PM
Hunter

MayDay you have onehellufa way with words. Thank you for sharing your talent with us! I'll read it, anytime you write it.
You really know how to pull one into a moment! That "dark place" is very real. Been there a few times, really have to fight to keep out of it. Went to the baby girls piano recital tonight, not huge crowd, probably 50-75 folks. The seating was what got to me, the windows, and doors were not what I liked at all. I almost found myself heading for a wall, a place of defense, somehow I managed to keep my **** tight. Still not an easy task, but this writing seems to put that at ease when I read it.
I guess having that imbedded sense of WTF is a real thing for many more as well.
Thanks for being who you are, doing what you do, and telling us what is what!
Much appreciated candor, and straight up no nonsense is always good!

Did I say thanks and good work yet? Good Job as always!

Old 04-21-2017, 09:13 PM
Prepared

Default I assure you I wasn't offended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightheat View Post
Mayday I apologize if I offended by suggesting the D.S. option, I wasn't trying to suggest underhandedness. Thank You for your continued work and again I am looking forward to another to buy to have!
I assure you I wasn't offended. I have wrestled with the idea from time to time. On the one hand I can't see how it affects Amazon that much. My puny little sales don't even leave a snails trail on their corporate radar. On the other hand it is a contract. In the end I went with my dad's advice about whose ox gets gored. If I wouldn't want Amazon to do the same thing to me then I shouldn't do it to them. I suppose we are all caught in the web of our upbringing. lol

Have a great day and night Fightheat and thank you for taking your valuable time to read my scribbles.

MayDay
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MayDay For This Useful Post: