***Ladies Section*** No interest in my home! - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If your plan is to bug in, better make your home really Secure. Hick Industries Urban Survival 121 04-23-2017 08:21 PM
What is in your survival library? Nitromater Books, Movies & Stories 19 04-01-2017 02:21 AM
Home Invasion, likely how it might go down Black Knight General Discussion 78 02-06-2017 09:03 PM
New Home Constr these days surprises me (poor quality) partndn General Discussion 110 01-08-2017 03:50 PM

Old 04-18-2017, 09:17 AM

Default ***Ladies Section*** No interest in my home!

Advertise Here

Hello from a new person to the boards. I am struggling to get my family engaged in prepping and learning more. I don't get resistance when I give them things to learn, study or do - whether it be helping me store food or learning a new skill or whatever, but there's just zero interest beyond that.

How do y'all get your families buy in? Or do you just prep around them?

Last edited by kokosmom2; 04-18-2017 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: added to title
Old 04-18-2017, 10:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,204 Posts

I prep round them, mostly.

DH shows a bit of interest from time to time, and he will help me if I ask him to, but mostly I am the prepper. We have actually saved money because I sometimes buy in bulk when I see a good deal, and he will sometimes ask me if I want him to bring home on- sale canned goods from a store near his work, but that is about it.

This is an improvement: he used to laugh about it until some guys he respected let him knew they did not think that prepping was funny at ALL! So now he does not laugh and he sometimes helps.

So I prep. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 11:33 AM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 4,546 Times in 1,384 Posts

Yep, what Terri said.

I was born this way. Large family group has been preppers forever. DH knew that when he married me, but never bought in to the need. He teases me about some things, but lets me go my merry way. He and the boys are happy to join in the guns and gear part but they till gardens and carry 50 pound bags only after letting me know there are actually better things to do with their time. They like the home canned goods so getting them to prune and harvest the fruit trees isn't too hard but getting them to butcher is harder than pulling teeth.

Just the other day I came home with a 20 lb. bag of salt and got "Good grief woman! We have enough salt to make a sculpture of Lot's wife and his whole family! Why are we getting more salt?" And then he helped me fill and seal cans. Oh well, so long as they aren't being rude and trying to make you quit it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:

Old 04-18-2017, 11:50 AM
The Mom

Thanked 2,076 Times in 636 Posts

It's me, my husband, and two very young children.

He has no interest outside of the weapons aspect. I'm the one in charge of groceries and most purchases, so I just putter along and do my prepping thing with him none the wiser. I'll never forget when he asked me what's in all the white buckets in the basement. I popped one open for him and the look of confusion on his face as he stared at the mylar bags was priceless.

My desire to earn my nursing degree is 60% from a preparedness standpoint, 40% from a job security standpoint. I want to be able to take care of my family's health. He supports it.

Like BabyBlue said, as long as your family isn't sabotaging you, just keep on keepin' on. Hopefully we never have to use any of our preps anyway!

One thing that does bother me-- he's of the opinion that nuclear war isn't survivable and even if it were, he wouldn't want to live through it anyway. I've made it my business to investigate every aspect of that situation that I can, and I've come to the conclusion that it's very survivable, but he refuses to listen. If it ever happens and we have to test my theory, I really hope I don't have to hit him over the head with my 10" skillet and pull him down to the shelter by myself. He'll wake up safe and sound with bruises everywhere from hitting every stair on the way down
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MickeyCJS For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 12:26 PM
Republic of Texas

Skills are one of the best preps a family can have so by teaching them or having them learn, they are prepping. They just aren't aware of it. I'd keep teaching them and let them think that its for "whatever reason you're already using."

As for the rest, I think the other responses have said it well.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:42 PM
Forward, into the fray!

LOL MickyCJS I wish I could hit the thanks button more than once for the mental image of dragging that man down the stairs. I once dropped a #10 cast iron skillet on my foot and broke two toes, neat as neat. My grandmother used to say "Ain't nothin' wrong with a man can't be fixed with a cast iron skillet." Either feed them with it, or hit them with it. Best grammatical use of a double negative.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:21 AM
The Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBlue View Post
LOL MickyCJS I wish I could hit the thanks button more than once for the mental image of dragging that man down the stairs. I once dropped a #10 cast iron skillet on my foot and broke two toes, neat as neat. My grandmother used to say "Ain't nothin' wrong with a man can't be fixed with a cast iron skillet." Either feed them with it, or hit them with it. Best grammatical use of a double negative.
I admit the thought made me laugh a little. Heck, even if bombs did drop and I really had to do that to him in the middle of a disaster, I'd probably still be giggling a little bit through the terror. Serves him right for not listening to me! And that's a wise grandma you had there!
The Following User Says Thank You to MickeyCJS For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 08:28 AM
Republic of Texas

Wait, we're only allowed to use the cast iron in case of SHTF? Man, that ruined my plans. Seemed like a good idea whenever I needed to get his attention period. (j/k)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:40 AM
The Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFrugalPrepper View Post
Wait, we're only allowed to use the cast iron in case of SHTF? Man, that ruined my plans. Seemed like a good idea whenever I needed to get his attention period. (j/k)
Not JUST for shtf, but when shtf, it's gonna be the best tool for the job. Seriously, who'd bring teflon to a nuclear war?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MickeyCJS For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 09:39 AM
Republic of Texas

Good info to have.
The Following User Says Thank You to OneFrugalPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 08:10 AM
Canning queen

Lol, Lot's whole family? I get that same opinion from my dh sometimes too. :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to catfeet For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 03:13 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Some years ago I bought a dehydrator and a seal-a-meal machine. I sealed up all sorts of things (socks, paper goods) just to test the theory as well as the dehydrated foods. Busy as a bee for a week or so.

Son was searching out our new kitten one day while husband was relaxing, reading a magazine. When son asked if anyone had seen the kitten lately DH answered dryly "Your mother probably seal-a-mealed her." Ok, he got his dinner burned that night.
The Following User Says Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 05:39 PM
Republic of Texas

Where was the kitten?! You can't leave me hanging like that! :D
Old 04-20-2017, 06:01 PM
Forward, into the fray!

LOL

The kitten was just off being kittenish, she liked to sleep in shoes while she was still small enough. I thought someone would wonder more about the sealed up socks more than the missing kitten. The socks are still good and that kitten lived for 22 years! Very long-term for a cat.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:47 PM
Republic of Texas

For the record? I once vacuum sealed towels just to see what would happen lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OneFrugalPrepper For This Useful Post: