Survivalist Forum banner

When TSHF where to go

5K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  ocalhoun 
#1 ·
When TSHF and you have no place to go and you dont know anybody that has a good BOL do just head for the high ground or just stay in place...This was asked of me the other day by someone while buying Item's at Gander mtn..and if you have you own place do you offer it to someone that you dont know or ???.. I have my own thoughts on this but just want to see what everyone else thinks....

#2 ·
Depends on what type of SHTF you are talking about. I would think its always better to "bug in", but if for whatever reason you have to leave your home...you will have to find a place where you have access to water. Once you have the water situation squared away you'll have to find good shelter & warmth. If it was me bugging in I would NOT allow anybody in unless it was family or "family" friends. I would say the less people around you the better UNLESS there is riot situation...so again it would just depend on the circumstances.

#3 ·
Yeah staying put is always the best but when everything around is going to sh#t and there fighting in the streets I feel it's best to beat feet to a more secure local nd of course take family and close friends with you..the guy that was asking me about thing was wondering if in case everything went bad I take in strangers and help them get set-up..this is a tough one with not knowing anything about them or anyone with them..hmmm

#4 ·
Shtf

Live where you feel you are a part of the community.

Be a part of the community and ingratiate yourself.

Gander Mountain was a great catalog store years ago.
Now a Gander Mountain retail store is the worst place to buy overpriced stuff.

If you don't feel comfortable where you are and you think you might be in the wrong place if the crap were to hit the fan right now, go now to where you think you might fit in if the crap were to hit the fan.

This is the quintessential survivalist creed from many years ago.

Move to a community where you think you can ply your trade and be a contributing part in it's ongoing struggle to maintain a quality of life that's better than a fast food happy meal.

#5 ·
You stay in place unless forced out. If forced out, you do your best to reclaim what is yours. To do anything else leaves you as a refugee. Refugees have a very short life expectancy unless some governemntal agency (like the UN or FEMA) is around to bail them out. Do not be a refugee.

#7 ·
For starters, Psalms 121:1-8 A Song of degrees. I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth. He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber. Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand. The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul. The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

#11 ·
I think I understand your question, a lot I know, lol.
If you are unsure of the place you are living in , say a stranger in unfamlliar teritory,you have quite a problem. both because no one knows you or if they can trust you .
You know the kind of person you are, but others don't. And their assumptions about strangers keep you at bay.
Doubly hard is finding some one else that takes seriously the events that are unfolding and are preparing for it .
Making friends ,of quality people is not always easy, you don't know them till you send a significant time with them, and in a pinch where are they going to be , or where are you going to be is the question ?
Quality friends = quality servival .simple as that.
If you are th only one storing food in the group , they are simply leaches, and will bail on you the moment things look bad .
Giving away the knowledge of your stash, is inviting leaches to lunch.
Untill you know for a fact that your chosen friends are as serious about preparing as you are , say nothing .
You are not going to want to be alone during this event ,trust me. And there is n o substatute for one solid friendship,or more.
Not knowing the nature or location of an event is going to occur , being able to move to the better location is a nice option, if it exists.
I don't expect to be going any where if I don't have to , living in the country.

#14 ·
Thank you everyone..when i see the guy that was asking about this
i'm just gonna pass along this website so he can plan for whatever he needs to..I shared some of my real world dealing's with him but not really knowing him I didnt get into very much....Like i said in the OP I was just wanting to here from others on the matter Again thx

#15 ·
i'd go wherever u feel most comfortable going to. if its LA riots, i'd might just sleep on the couch with my ak or shotgun or i might go to a relatives house outside the area. if this is like all OMG ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE GTFO RUN FOR THE HILLS (sorry only thing i could think of) a good ol patch of forest you're familiary with far from other people comes in handy.

#19 ·
Always better to defend in place if you are out of a city. If you are in a deep city, don't leave right away, because that is everybody's idea. Wait at least 2 or 3 days before leaving a city. I live in the woods already so I will be DIPing. I do have 3 BOL's though, 2 walking distance and 1 driving.

Most of my family has branched out and started their own lives and there is less and less contact between all of us unfortunately. So I will make myself assume that they would have their own plans if SHTF.

However if person X were to stumble near my A.O. there would be some hardcore Profiling going on. At best person X might get to stay in the barn for a night then will be pointed in a good direction. If person X is not mentally coping or is not cooperative with my questions then they will be pointed in the direction of my M4. If a family arrives they will be questioned and if their answers are good, they will be able to take shelter in the barn and improve their position.

#20 ·
Planning is the key, Like was said before the decision to stay or go has to be made in advance. Different scenarios require different plans. Biological it is better to secure your area that you are in and wait for it to clear. If you are in a city it may be time to look for or talk to friends and family in rural areas so that you can relocate. What ever you do be ready and prepared. My supplies to bug out are kept in containers so that within an hour I can be gone with confidence that I have everything I need.

#23 ·
I would be more than happy to elaborate. I'm a renter. I haven't the resources to stay put anywhere and I also do not relish the idea of having to shoot anyone. I doubt I could over just material possessions. So, you need to have a place to go. This means you have done some serious recon and /or, relocated to some place OUT of ANY large URBAN area!!! Perhaps you've begun to develop some relationships at a church or feed store near an operating agricultural area near you. Maybe, if you have the skills, you've found some sort of remote wilderness location you can stash things like handtools for cabin construction, trapping, cooking, spare boots, clothing, food, you can guess the rest.
You need to have a way to get there. Horseback, bike, foot, aircraft, truck, boat, whatever.
You need to have everything you need WHEN you get there! This is probably the most important part of the list if you plan to bug out. If you're on this board you already know what needs to be there.
Yes, the logistics and planning are difficult. I woke up after 9/11 after a few days it occured to me that this was the beginning of WW3!!! I was still in "ski bum" mode and didn't even own a firearm. I've been "prepping" in earnest ever since.

I'm fortunate that I live in Wyoming. Wolves, bears and mountain lions are prolly gonna be my only real concern. Oh, wait a minute. Ya know, the only time I ever really needed a gun was some years ago with an encounter with a worverine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.