Survivalist Forum banner

Bug out bag color?

27K views 58 replies 40 participants last post by  Forrest Mosby 
#1 ·
I'm new to the forums so I'm really sorry if this has been asked or is a constant question, but I'm putting together my first bug out bag. Iv already found a decent pack the Condor 3-day assault pack, has some decent reviews for a good price.
I'm just stuck on what color, now I know it should match where I wanna go, which will be wilderness more likely. I'm not too worried about camo bags iv more or less narrowed it down to OD green or black.

Any pointers or info that could help?

#34 ·
Anything that doesn't stand out that's all.

In a lot of situations you can also count Camo or military styles as standing out.

I'm on the train in the morning and i see someone with a military style bag even if its plain black or olive green and it gets me to wondering whats in it.

Best bet, get something that comfortable doesn't stick out at a distance and just do your best to not be seen at all.

#35 ·
I'm getting the Condor 125 also! Personally I'm going for a coyote tan. It blends into the surroundings where I live really well, is very inconspicuous, doesn't stand out, and doesn't absorb as much heat as the black one would.

Its great to see the number of people who are going with the 125 as well. Its really comforting to know that I'm not dropping a healthy sum of money on something that is utterly idiotic.

#36 ·
Not black! It's counterintuitive, but black is a bad camoflage color. The best camo I've ever seen is called "Multi-Cam" by Crye, either that or go for something they call "military green" if you want a solid color. It should look less green that the usual drab olive green and more grey-ish/olive-ish green. Hard to describe with words.

#38 ·
If I'm bugging out then everyone should be more worried about what I'm running away from than what I have on my back (at least in the 1st 12hrs).After I get through the choke points then I'll stay in the woods away from everyone as much as possable,so I'll use a cammo pack and not worry about it.I'm not going to follow the herd.

I highly suggest haveing at least 3-4 meals that do NOT require a fire. If you build a fire you might attracked unwanted visitors during the night while you sleep.Things will start getting dicey about the 2nd day when ppl have spent the night with nothing to eat,at that point I would not want to be in a herd of ppl with a well stocked backpack :zombie:zombie:zombie:zombie:whip:

Best thing to do while in the herd is look around and grp up with a few other ppl who also have well stocked backpacks and all of you break away from the herd as soon as possable and stay together

Actually solid black can be a very good cammo. if your in dense woods on a bright summer day. all you got to do is step into the shadow and you will virtually disappear. ask any vietnam vet. But I do agree multi-cam is the best :thumb:

The type of pack all depends on how long your wanting it to last like a 24hr pack, 72hr pack, or a 12 week pack. If your goal is over 2 days I suggest you start looking for a pack with a frame.

Here is a great video to help get you thinking on some of the things you might want to put in the pack.(this is just part one you need to watch all 8 parts)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZDbj1gNmsA

#42 ·
First I don't have a bob I do keep a get home bag in the car . It is a kelty daypack and is gray and maroon . combined with a work uniform it looks like a common pack people carry there everyday stuff in . If I was looking to take some ones pack in an emergency I would look for a tacticool pack with good stuff strapped on the outside
Roy

#46 ·
First I don't have a bob I do keep a get home bag in the car . It is a kelty daypack and is gray and maroon . combined with a work uniform it looks like a common pack people carry there everyday stuff in . If I was looking to take some ones pack in an emergency I would look for a tacticool pack with good stuff strapped on the outside
Roy
Heres my two cents..

If its bad enough of an emergency and I was a different type of person anyone with a pack = **** I might need.

It's not like it is some super secret that some people recommend being as "grey" as possible. It in the end would go like this.

Possible indicators
- Anyone with a pack (pink, blue, grey, multicam, any color, any size)
- Anyone with a fanny pack, messenger bag, sling bag, etc...
- Anyone in hiking shoes, boots
- Hiking / Outdoor / "Tactical" style clothing
- Jeans and a T-shirt with a kelty pack still sticks out
- Anyone driving what might look like a BOV
- etc, etc, etc..

Just think about it honestly, there are a **** ton of ways that would highlight anyone who is semi prepared in a true emergency. You could add hundreds of things to that list.

#45 ·
1. I am self-employed, so I dont have to worry about my BOB standing out at work.
2. My home and my workplace arent that far apart, and both are in the country, so I dont have to worry about standing out in an urban enviroment.
3. My BOB is a large Alice, so it blends well into the terrain.
4. Since I will bug out when the SHTF, it stays in a compartment inside my vehicle 99% of the time.

#47 ·
Yeah , what JoshuaJJohnson said . It doesn't matter what color or type of bag you have . If bad guys think you have anything that might be valuable to them , they will TRY to take it .

Jeans and a T-shirt with a kelty pack still sticks out
I'm this guy ^^^
I have a Kelty Redwing 50 - green with grey trim . It's a good quality , reasonably priced bag .

#51 ·
I actually just got my pack today. Been a while since iv come back and posted sorry. But I went with black, like it was said it doesnt matter what type of pack or what color you have if someone wants what you have they will go for it. Best thing you can do is be prepared to defend yourself.

I went with black for a couple reasons. And I was really torn between OD green and black... One is that Im using it as a hiking pack too, all my gear is gonna stay in ill probably just throw some extra food inside for a hike. I wanted black because its a good survival color, It doesnt blend in but it doesnt stick out, I can cover it easily enough and it will be hidden but at the same time if I walk away and get turned around Ill be able to spot my pack. And all of my knive and machete sheathes are black so it all goes together nicely. Ill probably throw on some OD green clothing that way it all kinda meshes nicely when I need to bug out. Ill throw up a review for anyone thats interested in a bit.

#53 ·
I have a Ridgeway by Kelty 54L pack, burnt orange & grey in color. It holds everything that I will need in a short to mid-length bug out situation. I also have a big bore rifle & plenty of ammunition for anyone who thinks stealing my pack is a good idea.

The two work out well together. :)

#54 ·
BOB

I had a NcStar Tactical 3 Day Pack in Army Digi Camo ACU. That was my BOB. But I recently switch over to a large 80's blue Kelty Trekker external frame pack. Its so much better on my back. (And for $13 at Goodwill. A no brainer.)
I wanted to get away from the camo. Thought it might make me stand out. But after reading this thread. I realized that just having a pack would in fact make you stand out no matter what color it is. The biggest factor for me was comfort. And it has to hold all my gear. Right now my packs at about 30-35lbs. That's w/out water. But I have my life straw. If I do have to BO. I'll have to go about 8 miles. I really try to keep my eyes and ears on what's going on around me. If power goes out. And my truck & cell wont work. I figure I have 2 days to get where i need to be. Before the sheep start to realize what's really happening. Most of it will be through the woods. So I do like the idea of the camo rain fly. I picked up one at Walmart for under $7. All they had was blue. I'm thinking of trying to dye it greenish/blackish. We'll see how that works out. Now I'm just rambling. Stay vigilant people!

Attachments

#56 ·
Reading the posts from recent, honestly if im out there needing supplies and willing to take them from others its not going to matter what they have on the outside or how they look.
If someone HAS a pack in general and its got things in it, its of interest to me, someone said if theres a guy with tacticool stuff and a regular joe with work things then the joe should slip by with ease. Why not just shoot both and take double the rewards? In a time of emergency you cant discriminate everyone will have something of interest.

Camoflauge in a time of crisis is pointless, theres no blending in, theres no hiding what you have. If you want to hide, stay indoors away from people. If you cant defend what you have then you shouldnt go out.

#59 ·
My GHB is tac green...my BOB otoh started out red, since it's an internal frame climbers high capacity bag...I took brown and black spray paints and duded it up a lot...meets my specs now..

"Its all fun and games until the flying monkey's arrive"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.