Survivalist Forum banner

Binoculars

7K views 52 replies 40 participants last post by  saln 
#1 ·
I have a question for all of you if you can't see whats coming at you then how are you supposed to take appropriate action? Would you take binoculars with you in a BOB and if so what binoculars. The reason i made this thread is because on other threads where people post pictures of their BOB i never see binoculars.

#3 ·
Small binoculars can be useful, but they are fragile. They are essentially two very carefully calibrated and columnated telescopes. when knocked out of alignment, they can be rather difficult, even dizzying, to use. Consider a compact spotting scope instead.

#21 ·
It seems to me like the "roof prism" ones (with the straight barrel) are the ones
that die when you drop them (although I've got a couple of pairs that have
held up OK). The ones with the "jog" in the barrel that have a different
prism system, seem like they aren't as fragile.

#6 ·
+1 on the Steiners. Mom found a pair at an estate sale or thrift store (can't remember which) in Georgia. Excellent find as they are in pristine condition. We also have an old pair of binos my dad used when he was a surveyor in the early '60s. One eyepiece likes to come off, but otherwise quite serviceable. And somewhere along the line, he acquired a pair of very beat up opera glasses which are like mini-binos. Despite the fugly exterior, the optics are amazing for something so small. :upsidedown:

#7 ·
My son bought a pair of these for his BOB and I liked them so much I bought one, too. They're maybe a bit smaller than you might be looking for, but the combination of size/weight with what they can do make them a good choice for me. And with the price ($10), I was sold. They fold up into a really nice and neat small package.

They're not bulletproof or anything like that, but I consider binocs more for glassing someplace I'm coming up on, as opposed to being able to pick out something coming toward me.

And if I lose em....no big deal.

#8 ·
A small pair of binos are very useful. A scope might work, but binos can be alot easier to use.

But theres a world of difference between the low end stuff and a brand like Steiner. I had some of the cheap ones $30 or so at some place like wal-mart. They are a bit like looking thru a straw. You wouldn't be to upset if they got lost, broken or stolen.

Now the little pair if Steiner safaris I got probably 10 years ago for $179. They blow away a much larger set of Nikon binos I have. They seem much more powerful than the 8x they are. Bright and clear as day. I would be upset tho if something happened to them.

#9 ·
yes I was lucky enough to buy my Zeiss Victory Compacts for $300 many years ago when the dollar was high vs. the euro. If I was buying them now here's what I would look at:

Amazon.com: Vortex Optics 8x28 Viper Series Waterproof Roof Prism Binocular with 6.1 Degree Angle of View: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: MINOX BV II 62030 8 x 25 BR Compact Binocular (Black): Sports & Outdoors

I would also check out a lightweight rangefinder but to get one of equal optical quality to a given pair of binos you'll have to spend more.

#10 ·
As everything with the prepping, one needs to have several, for different uses and then back ups to those. For me, Bushnell is good enough: the smallest should be 10 x 25, the medium 16 x 32 (pretty good) and the largest 10 x 50 (theoretically 7 x 50 provide the brightest illumination). There should be larger ones and the spotters, but those to be reserved for stationary uses.

#11 ·
Any set of binoculars is better than none.

But they are secondary to having a high vantage point to survey your surroundings from. Unless you get really lucky you won't spot invaders with them, you will do that with the naked eye... You will use them to CONFIRM they are invaders, by getting a closer look at them while they are out of range. For that pretty much any set will do.

The cheapest set you can get is better than not having them, and should be in your BOB.

#13 ·
True. I was thinking of using them defensively, ie: from a defensive spot at the BOL to spot that which shouldn't be there.

They have the same use while on the move, but similarly, you won't spot anything with them, just confirm.

Anything that magnifies has a narrower field of view.

#15 ·
If there is an ambush, it is almost impossible to spot it: they will not be moving but lying behind something, wearing camo, with even the weapon hidden. One has to look far enough ahead, hundreds of yards. Even with the brightest and largest binocs (wider base and less tiring) it is almost hopeless. With the naked eye? One has to be young with eagle eyes and very experienced to have any chance at all (not me, certainly).

#18 ·
I have miniture microscope ,magnifying glass, range finder, and repllaced the bonoculars with a mead spotting scope.
I learned something from the long range planes hunters ,that use spotting scope, is the most important tool in hunting .
If one must travel the land and there is a lot of resistance ; being able to see as far ahead as is possable can be very valuable .
A spotting scope gives the greatest range and definition ,also being able to view the sky at night might be of some value .
Or not.

#19 ·
IMO an optical device is a must in many environments (distance is your friend for almost any situation). However, it is REALLY important to remember that if you are seen using your rifle's scope to spot someone you will appear hostile! From their perspective your aiming a firearm directly at them (they can't see if your finger is off the trigger). This would likely elicit a response that you don't want. Binoculars are nice for the typically large field of view and some spotting scopes are more hardy and both are "friendly".

#22 ·
There is merit in getting what you can afford and having something is better than not having it. I myself would save for good quality equipment that qould last longer and perform better. Here's the spotting scope I got. That said, the lightweight rangefinder option is superior to a spotting scope if you plan to shoot long range (past say 400 yds):

1. it's far, far lighter, usually less than 1/4 the weight.
2. Shooting long range (e.g. past 400 yds) will require excellent ranging.
3. The narrow field of view of a high-powered optic may keep you from seeing a target

If you want a good quality spotting scope, here's what I got (lightweight (37.4 oz.), also good for astronomy):

http://www.opticstalk.com/vortex-nomad-vs-leupold-or-other_topic32540.html
Amazon.com: Vortex Optics Nomad 20 - 60x60 Waterproof Angled Spotting Scope with 2.2-1.0 Degree Angle of View, 3.00-1.00mm Exit Pupil & 17-14mm Eye Relief: Camera & Photo

The high power of a spotting scope requires a tripod, here's what I use if I take the scope. Also serves as a gun mount and camera mount.

here's what I got (very light):

to that I added this for spotting scope, high-powered binoculars or camera. It makes the Y-yoke quick disconnect as well.

Amazon.com: Trek-Tech MagMount STAR (Square Tooth + TrekLock): Electronics

#23 ·
I have a monocular. It's 10x25 and does a good job for me.

It's about $15 and won't out do good binoculars, but I can carry it in my pocket with no trouble. I can use it without being too conspicuous.

The main thing for me is its availability. If I have to carry binoculars around my neck or in my pocket, I probably wouldn't use them.

#26 ·
I have some basic binoculars I got YEARS ago when I was about nine or ten years old from my trip in Alaska, still have them and those would be my optical enhancement system of choice. EDIT: They aren't too basic, they have good magnification and are durable.

#29 ·
I've never had the cheap ones break on me, even - *except* the small compact
ones which I *think* use a roof prism design in order to get the size down.
It seems like there's something about them that makes the prism sensitive
to the binoculars being dropped and going out of collimation... I've had a
couple of pairs that I had to bang on to get them to collimate "temporarily"

details here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binoculars

but waddyawant for $19.95...

#31 ·
It depends on what you're bugging out from and what you think you'll encounter on your way. Binos can be great for checking on danger areas ahead, checking on different potential routes, checking your back trail, or for hunting. A nice larger pair would be a little heavy and bulky for a BOB but a good compromise might be to keep it in your bug out vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.