Survivalist Forum banner

230gr Introduction

3K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  ecilop 
#1 ·
Thank you for your kind welcome.
I will tell you a bit about myself and my interests so you will know where I am coming from.

Although I have been interested in survival since I was 13 and found our family trying to prepare for a nuclear attack and possible invasion during the Cuban missile crises. My father worked for the Air Force and had access to allot of spy plain photos. He could tell us nothing of what he saw but what he saw plainly scared him. We lived way too close to the SAC base in Orlando and the high water table kept us from even having a basement. Then we read “Alas Babylon” and shortly transferred North.
In the very early 80’s, I joined Live Free and found other families who where survivalist too and participated in trading and learning exercises as family units. In a few years we founded our own Survival group and now we include our children’s children.
By training I am a chemist, by inclination and agreement, I am in charge of the groups food procurement and future production & distribution.
I was certified as a Radiological Monitor some years ago.
My interest are: gardening, medical and retreat living.
I now live at my retreat in central Wisconsin.

See less See more
#13 ·
Gee guys, you are going to make it hard to live up to your expectations.
1. I will tell you straight off that I have commitments to another forum but will consider this my second home. This site has a good feel to it.
2. When SF went down, lost several hundred of my better posts that I was up dating and reposting periodically.
3. Since I feel that our purpose here is to share information, I barrow freely and expect others to freely barrow from with my posts.

#14 ·
What's up

I gave up on SF and started searching - looks good so far...

Proud to have my first post saluting 230gr! He's the man.

230gr, ok so now how do I keep the Jerusalem Artichoke from taking over the other 1/2 of my garden. Just kidding :) That stuff is awesome - 10 to 11 foot plants - plenty of food sitting there ready if we ever need it.

#17 ·
i liked ole grim at times he was kinda like fingernails on a chalk board and still at other times he was good for nothing more than my own amusement.....funny though he nearly had 10,000 posts and then abruptly fell off the face of the internet and was never seen or heard from again.......

oh , howdy 230gr.........

#19 ·
Welcome Micah525. Lot of good folks here, I think you will like it!
I am pretty sure we warned you about those the Jerusalem Artichoke! They are like tribbles, when they are well fed & happy they multiply big time! If you really need to thin then down (notice I did not say eradicate) let the hogs at them!

#20 ·
I was just kidding. I'm ecstatic that they are growing & spreading like crazy. Very nearly zero work. My garden is on the side of a hill & I have the chokes in the bottom 1/2 of the garden so any extra water just runs down to them. I fertilized them like crazy & they are setup to help feed us all winter when the other garden items & wild edible plants are all dead.

What's interesting is the tomato/cucumber row next them is still thriving because of the morning shade - versus the rows up the hill which are struggling in all the sun.

Food wise the Jerusalem Artichoke is the best thing that I got off of SF.

#22 ·
Excellent! I have always felt they where a great survival plant: produce heavily when you fertilize them, survive on their own when you ignore them, few pests, edible tubers hidden underground, look like ornamental sunflowers (and the are pretty), few people recognize them as food, very high inulan content that can be hydrolyzed into fructose sugar, can be dried and powdered for long storage, the leaves are relished by goats, chickens, almost all animals.
Oh, off the soap box. Glad you like them too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.