Survivalist Forum banner
6K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Tango_6 
#1 ·
I am looking at beefing up out gear. I have a few things and we need to add some things. I have no idea what to add though. I went through the 1 bag and started splitting up everything into 2 bags. I have a camelbak bag that was holding everything, and now I have a LA police gear bag that my wife will carry if we have to leave the house. I made a list. here is what we have so far.

Water bottles
MSR water filter system
3 pairs of gloves (light medium Heavy)
K Bar
Boot knife I took this knife with me while I was in the military
pocket knife
Multi tool
Spotting scope
2- Pelican 1020 cases 1 has cr123 batteries in it
Bino's
waterproof matches
night vision monocular
Flashlight
glowsticks
mini mag light
Pen and paper
disposable ear plugs
Bell&Howell short wave radio
Molle medical pouch fully stocked
Yaesu VX-8dr
Whistle compass and mirror ( its orange and looks like its from a boat)
Eton crank radio
1 empty paintball pod holder( seems good for dry storage) or water.

No clothes yet

See less See more
#5 ·
Even with a firesteel, I'd still keep the matches and probably put in a lighter too.
The title to this post isn't accurate...MREs are food, but you list no food or ability to procure food (fishing line, wire for snags, etc).
I think every kit should have string, wire, rope, mini sewing kit, Velcro...bits and pieces that can be valuable in tying things down, fastening things, repairing things...none of them take up much room or weight.

#14 ·
I would add the following to round you out to the 15 essentials.
first, I don't think you need 3 pairs of gloves. I would use just a pair of heavy leather work gloves for sawing and chopping fire wood and maybe some surgical gloves.

Add: sun protection, some (minimal at least) clothing, X large metal cup, flatware, metal dinner plate, fire tinder, repair pouch (safety pins, duct tape, fine wire, boot laces, rawhide thong/laces, rain poncho, metal emergency "space" blanket, toilet paper. Supplement your first aid with aspirin, benedryl, Claritin, Motrin, Excedrin extra strength.

#20 ·
MRE's are kind of bulky. Mountain House 2 Serving pouches are smaller and have about the same calorie content. Mix in some condiments and snacks and it's more space efficient and nutricious, not to mention better tasting. Cost is about the same. I just bought 2 cases of Lasagna for $4 per 2 serving pouch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.