The Cheapest Coon Trap Ever - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Running with the lil griz....coon trapping pass-thru Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 11 06-05-2016 10:35 PM
coon hides back from the tannery pass-thru Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 4 10-03-2012 11:29 PM
Question for coon hunters homesteader1 Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 6 07-10-2010 10:34 PM
32lb. Coon Penokeemtn5 Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 29 04-07-2010 06:39 PM
Bbq coon Ducttape Urban Survival 2 10-15-2009 06:35 PM
Eating coon kingfisher71 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 10-13-2009 08:43 PM
Coon Hunting rem742 Firearms General Discussion 16 10-13-2009 03:30 PM
Coon dogs HAILEGAR Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 3 03-20-2009 07:23 PM
BBQ Coon Highpower Recipes 4 01-10-2009 09:12 PM
Species specific tips #1: coon 72shane Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 1 02-19-2008 07:34 PM

Old 04-25-2016, 12:06 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,143 Times in 744 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
As a longtime prepper, fruit tree and vegetable grower, after a period when I was a misguided "Mr. Nice Guy", I eventually came to the conclusion that the only good raccoon is a dead raccoon.
Since my awakening, I've killed dozens, if not hundreds, of them.
For those of you who've finally had enough, here is the best "bang for the buck" coon trap I know of.
You'll need some 1-1/4" PVC pipe and as many corresponding round end caps as you'll need to create several traps.
You'll also need a bag of the tiny nails called "brads". These things are about the smallest diameter nails in existence.
Cut a 4" piece of your PVC pipe. Drill a two holes in the middle to loop your anchor line or wire cable through. At one end, drill a bunch of tiny holes (at least 8) all the way around to accomodate your brad nails. These holes must be angled so that your nails will point somewhat inward from the end of the pipe. Smear a gob of peanut butter, sardines, or some other bait into the end cap, then shove it onto the other end of your pipe. Fasten the trap to something solid.
Your coon will shove its hand past the nails and will be unable to withdraw it again. Most of the time, it will shove in its other hand in an attempt to free its first hand. Then, both hands will be caught.
It's been my experience that a coon thus caught will have no fight left in it, and will stand by dociley, allowing a leisurely shot because they understand that they need both front feet to mount a good defense.
After you've shot the coon, you should be carrying a pair of needle-nose pliers to back enough nails out to free the dead coon, then reset the trap.
The real beauty of this trap is that it will not catch dogs, cats, or anything else that won't shove a paw deep into the trap.
I hope this description is enough to give you an idea how to build this trap. I would post photos, but the trap isn't that complicated.
do you know if such traps will also catch possums?
Can such traps be put in trees getting away from dogs. My dogs might chew up the pipe to get at the bait. The worst of the two has a relatively huge head and loves to chew things up.
For my numerous pear trees and also persimmons the coons and also the possums are enemy number one. The worst is they break branches getting at the bounty. One my fuyu persimmons trees will be of full fruit this year judging from the numerous flowers on it.
One of the functions of the dogs is to chase coons away, but there is a lot of land my dogs sometimes sleep soundly. I am thinking of motion alarms and chimes for the trees when the fruit ripens. That will bring the sleeping beauties running for blood.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:16 AM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,395 Posts

Thanks for the idea! I suffer the coons and opossums who eat from my fruit trees now, before TEOTWAWKI, but when the day comes where I need my crops to survive, I won't suffer them any longer.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2016, 11:40 AM

Anyone know how to post photos on the site from an iPhone? Still can't figure out how to do it