Survivalist Forum banner

so your looking for a breakdown/back pack rifle?

13K views 44 replies 24 participants last post by  kantill 
#1 ·
#8 ·
That is one step from idiotic. Almost every rifle can be stripped down to parts that store in about the same size case. They might not look like a Mission Impossible toy.... But functionally they can be reduced to compact parts carry... And then they only cost $400-600.

That is a great looking gun... But a waste of $5000

#20 ·
Single shots went out in 1900, but some guys never get the word. A fleeing cripple, a dog pack, men, all require fast repeat shots. The single shot offers nothing that autoloaders don't offer, and then the autos offer a lot more, besides. If the $500 or so difference in price upsets you, that tells me right there that you aint much of a shot, except perhaps with .22lr. Cause $500 sure aint much centerfire shooting, even if you reload.

#21 ·
... ain't much of a shot because he prefers a single shot. Hmm. Now that's a leap of logic I wouldn't make myself, as I've known some singleshot aficionados that can do amazing things with one bullet where other folks would use 3. All of them are Marines btw, who could get 25-30 kills out of a mag instead of 3 like they train on the internet. I think I'm just going to have to disagree with your conclusion here.

#22 ·
IMO, if you feel you have to rely on an autoloader rifle, you “ain’t much of a shot”.

In a real survival situation, you will be limited to the amount of ammo you can carry in addition to all other survival supplies. If you have an accurate weapon, you should be able to get a kill with one shot. If you are faced with multiple armed men, then concealment and escape is a LOT smarter than a fire fight. With a dog/coyote/wolf pack, a single shot will drop them at distance, and an auto pistol will be better for close in.

#26 ·
I"m a proven A class competitor, at the World Champ level. I just don't kid myself about 1 shot handling everything. You live in a dream world, where nobody attacks you, there are no dog packs, and no animal flees after being hit, and you CAN'T miss, even in the dark, on moving targets, etc. In essence, you are full of it, plain and simple.

#27 ·
Who said anything about there is nothing going to attack you in this world?? But mister "world class" competitor go a head and take any type of weapon system you want in a pack and than time your amazing speeds you have on deploying that weapon. I can garantee you it won't be fast enough. So in essence you are full of it plain and simple .........minded.:rolleyes:

#31 ·
It appears that “quirt” missed the thread topic. In a real survival situation, there are two uses for a firearm, self-defense and hunting. A nice backpack breakdown rifle would be for hunting. It would stay in your pack until you were certain you were isolated (no need attracting competition or aggressors). Then it would be used to bring down food.

A person might also carry a defensive weapon, perhaps a high capacity semi-auto, optimal for defense but not necessarily that great for hunting. My pack gun would have a scope, but the defensive weapon doesn’t really need one.

Those who have not loaded their “survival” packs and headed out cross country on foot, might not understand the weight vs utility of many items, especially firearms and ammo. Compared to most survival items, ammo is very heavy. A Rambo would not last long in a survival situation. Stealth, concealment, economy, and careful planning have the best chances of survival. A 9mm, .40, or .45 auto with a high capacity magazine would be a good last resort defense. A lightweight .223 auto rifle would be good for defense.

A single shot .243, .308 would be great for hunting, if you are hunting larger game. But in a real survival situation, it wouldn’t be practical to take a deer, because there would be no practical way to preserve or carry all that meat. A reliable single shot .22 will get you all the dinner you need.

#35 · (Edited)
my kel-tec sub 2k .40 small,lite,folds up and will eat any damn ammo i throw at it. i have installed a picatiny rail system halo scope and mag light soon to follow.

#43 ·
Ok I'm going to feed the stupid troll here, Dog Packs? Yeah had a problem with one of them in Iraq and one shot does work, the first dog to go down the others jump on him and eat him or run off.

by that time the second shot is loaded and you take two dogs down, you continue till all are dead or have ran off and then you have meat as well, I'm sorry SHTF I'm eating dog if it's what I've got available.

Reactions: kantill and sparkyj
#44 ·
OH YEA i remember that and you are absolutely rite i remember jumping out of a helo in the dark onto a soccer feild and all you could hear was the dogs damn scary! Koreans have been eating them for hundreds of years a have very little issue eating anything on 4 legs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.