Survivalist Forum banner

Marlin Papoose as good survival rifle? Average value?

56K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  meatwaggon 
#1 ·
Do you guys think the Marlin Papoose is a good survival rifle?

What average price do you happen to see them selling for when they go up?

I've heard they don't go up for sale very often and are hard to find.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
Do you guys think the Marlin Papoose is a good survival rifle?
In my opinion, it is superior to the 10/22. It is a great .22. lightweight, accurate and easy to pack.

What average price do you happen to see them selling for when they go up?

I've heard they don't go up for sale very often and are hard to find.
lack of availabillity should be a clue...

#6 · (Edited)
I bought my Papoose last year for $69+tax from a Memphis pawn shop and it is a terrific little gun. It's an older one with a wood stock, but I've never had a problem with it. Because I keep in the lockbox beneath my rear truck seat, it is used more often than either my 10/22 or Model 60. I will probably buy another one to keep in the emergency kit in the trunk of my wife's car. Unless I find another used pawn shop special, I expect to pay $250.

#10 ·
The Papoose is a mixed bag.

It's much more handy and useful than most of the competition, including the AR-7 and 10/22. The newer models in stainless and with the synthetic stock are the best of the model so far.

At the same time, it has it's faults, the action buffer and "guts" being the major ones.
Now, don't take this as bashing the Marlins, I have a good number of them and prefer them to most others.
The buffer eventually will crack and break, Numrich has spares, get some.
The action guts (lower assembly) well also eventually wear (50,000+ rounds) enough to start giving you issues in feeding and operating, pick up a spare assembly.

If you can leave it assembled, do so, repeated takedown and assembly will wear/loosen the barrel to receiver fit.

If I needed another takedown rifle, especially for backpacking, the Papoose would get the nod. Until then, I'll stick with my old Marlin 39, it's larger, heavier and will rust but I've been using it for decades now with good result.

#13 ·
I love my Papoose, it is the best of the 22LR survival autoloaders. Its accurate, reliable, and well built. The stock is hollow so you can store up to 200 rounds of loose ammo. I have a modifed stock shell holder that contains five 10 round magazines giving me a total of 250 rounds on the gun. Add in a 1-4X variable scope, sling, and throw it in the case that weighs 6lbs or so. You can't beat that IMHO.

My only real complaint is the 3/8 dovetail scope mount, it will have to have some really sturdy rings with a scope stop in order to prevent the scope from drifting. I opted for a picatinny rail and overall I am happy, although it prohibits use its iron sights. Currently I am working on a rear peep setup that can work with the scope for backups. Thinking of using the Tech Sight's front sight and a Kel-Tec SU-16 rear sight mounted on the picatinny rail. Throw on a pair of see thru rings and it would be perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.