Survivalist Forum banner

radios

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  FR33_US 
#1 ·
Any information on the Midland line of personal radios for communicating when the normal systems are down.

#2 ·
Make sure you have sideband...Have your SWR matched for the antenna and radio. I prefer the Uniden pc122xl, cobra gtl146, and Radio Shack trc465 because they all use the same main board. If you are looking for radios go the Ebay and type in "ssb cb" to start a search, several unopened new Midlands have been going from $65-$ 75 for a unused 1977 40 channel sideband, overstock a person recently obtained. Also consider a Ham radio as a good alternative for communication with long distance goals. Going to Ebay and typing in "linear Amplifier" gives units that can give additional power on "wattage" on Ham frequencies provided you match the correct unit and frequency that you are licensed for.Feel free to Private mail(PM) me if you need more information... good luck

#3 ·
I interpreted the question as referring to the more common Midland FRS and GMRS radios... If so, I have a pair and am very pleased with them. They seem rugged (my daughter has dropped them many times), and we get about the standard range for radios of this type - about a half mile on the FRS frequencies and about 1.3 miles on the GMRS frequencies. These radios, like almost all of the type, have way too many features and as a result have needlessly complicated menus, but you can ignore most of that.

#9 ·
this i had posted in another thread but i thought i would share here as well.

for a hand held with range of a few miles depending on terrain (can use 3 with 1 in the middle acting as a repeater for rough terrain)

Can never go wrong with a Bendix King 12, 14, or 16 chan!
I have used this radio for 11 years on wildland fires and they are awsome!
A ziploc bag with a small hole for the antenna vs heavy rain!
Very durable.
These come with rechargeable battery packs (can be solar charged with panels and the right cords) AA clamshells are whats used on wildfires!
These radios are spendy to purchase spankin new @ $1k for a 16 chan but well worth it!
iv seen 12-14 chans almost new @ $400.

U can just google Bendix King...srry on phone or would post link!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.