Survivalist Forum banner

Inexpensive TACTICAL flashlights

7K views 32 replies 29 participants last post by  IntrinsicNebulous 
#1 ·
What makes a flashlight tactical? What Lumen levels?

Got a NEBO Redline (220 lumens) given to me, sweet flashlight, selling price I've found is about $25. Does 3 levels of brightness, strobe AND SOS. Did a little research on the Nebo line, looks interesting. Had previously picked up a smaller Nebo at a gun show recently but to me it was just a bright little flashlite. Upon that research, it's either a 35 or 50 lumen model (the 35 model was upgraded to 50 lumens but not sure which I got). They each have the crennellated tops (that's pointy castle looking for you unfamiliar with the proper term ;>)

#2 ·
What is the intended purpose of said flashlight? some surefire lights can be had for around 60 bux and will be great little torches...

Streamlight makes some great lights too. The tac 2 led i had was once thrown out the window of my truck while turned on at around 60mph and survived!! I think that light was 50 bux....

#3 ·
Don't get caught up in what "tactical" means, because whatever is advantageous to you in a given situation will be tactical at the time. I think that it is well-advised to have some sort of flashlight that can be used for self-defense, and I keep rail-mounted lights for a couple of my guns, but beyond that, I prefer those with multiple brightness settings for conserving power when possible, and those that use common household battery types.

I have a couple of small Maglite and Nebo lights, some larger Rayovac Sportsman lights and a couple of the big Wel-Bilt lights from Northern Tool that would be quite useful for defensive purposes.

#4 ·
I rather like the Stanley LED torch, http://tooltray.com/Stanley-Torches...ign=Shopping?gclid=CPTm6emMzLMCFW_KtAodqR0AnA

Its got 3 brightness settings, the legs can fold out to a tri-pod which is useful sometimes, its fairly robust (it survived being dropped 2 floors from me hanging off my uni), its cheap and it can use 3,6 or 9 AA batterys.

Personally I have found a lot of other torches end up not useing all the battery power and normally there is about 0.6 volts left in the battery. So i just shove all the old batterys into the stanley torch to use them up and it seems to work fine.

#5 ·
The price you got the nebo for is good. Unless they improved in the last few years, that's about it. I loved how they felt, and I got a few of them-small single AA for my wife, one of the three mode (light,laser, strobe) with the crenelized front, and a solar one. Within a few months, the solar one just flat out died, the multi function one began to unimpress and has since been lost/misplaced, but I don't really miss it. The only one left is the small AA. Output is poor and even with a brand new battery, it doesn't always want to turn on

Of late, I am a big fan of Fenix. Looking at picking up a few more

#9 ·
I found a 3 pack of flashlights recently at Costco, 20 bucks, and brighter than anything I have previously owned. I think they were called Techlite? The package said they were 200 lmn. They take 3 aaa batteries, rear on/off button, bright/dim/strobe settings, and all metal construction. I'm planning on getting a few more 3 packs next time I go.

#11 ·
I will stick to budget lights as to top brands

Rather stock up on led maglite when they go on sale for black friday.
Besides if the mag isnt bright enuf you can always put in a heatsink
2.8amp driver and a cree xml emitter.

Or anyother of the tons of different mods for them.
theres is bound to be some budgetlightforum members or cpf members on here. :)

#16 ·
I know some people disprove of it, but try eBay. I got a brand new Cree flashlight for $2.00 (including S&H) about 2 years ago. It's a bright LED that runs on one AA battery and features a waterproof aluminum frame, pocket clip and mine came with a nylon belt sheath (it was the only cheap quality thing on the light). I wouldn't call it "tactical", but its simple, and works great.

#18 ·
I know I posted the original question. I consider a flashlight tactical if it can be adaquately used as an impact weapon AND if it has sufficient brightness to temporarily blind or disorient someone.

Last time I flew, I carried a AA maglite with lanyard attched, no questions. makes a great Kubaton OR flail weapon. ;>)

#21 ·
i think it is the sharp edges used to beat people in the face that makes a light "tactical".or maybe the strobe options.the marketing gimmicks do get carried away sometimes.but which would you rather say "let me see that tactical light" or "let me see that light with the sharp thingies on the end".

i have both the old and new nebo redlines.they are great little lights for the price.

#24 ·
Just like with any other piece of gear, you get what you pay for. Cheap chinese junk with poor quality control and R&D produces unreliable product. I go with makers who have been established and have earned a good reputation. SureFire, Fenix, 4Sevens, Zebralight, Jetbeam, HDS, and so on. Yeah they cost more, but I feel like you get more for your money. When I think of the situations where I would need a light (self defense, car trouble, being in the wilderness) I want to make sure that the light will work and it will be able to stand up to some abuse. A lot of the cheaper lights have poor materials and construction, exaggerated claims on battery life and output, and poor regulation.

#29 ·
Extremebeam M4 Scirrako. 1090 foot range, divable up to 60 feet, weapon mountable and recoil proof up to and including .50 bmg full auto, youtube it. They turn the light on and break cinderblocks over and over on it with not so much as a flicker. I love mine. Only $50 too..not to be a jerk, but try the search function. I've posted pretty much the same info several times in the last month. We at SB love to help, but alot of time the question asked has already been answered many times before.

#31 ·
not to be a jerk, but try the search function. I've posted pretty much the same info several times in the last month. We at SB love to help, but alot of time the question asked has already been answered many times before.
understand. I did a search but it came up with so many results that i didn't get around to your previous postings on the matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.