Survivalist Forum banner

What do truckers carry for protection? What can you carry in NJ, NYC?

12K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  GunGourd 
#1 ·
Can you carry a Surefire flash light, hammer, baseball bat, OC (Pepper Spray), and possibly a taser everywhere as a trucker?

Just curious and trying to find something to defend myself that can be legally carried in NJ and NYC. Can I carry a Surefire E2D, OC spray, and a folding knife in NYC and NJ? How do they feel about a baseball bat or hammer in your car? Is a 6 D mag light that is kept in a car something illegal? Not sure how these two states feel about bows or cross bows? Trying to be creative. A legal cross bow or bat in a NJ hotel room is sure better than nothing. A nyc cop told me a non auto folding knife less than 4 inches that is hidden in your pocket is legal and oc spray was fine. DIdnt want to ask about the cross bow lol.

#2 ·
NYS penal law

The answer to NYS is google the Penal law and see article 265.00 and ALL the prohibited weapons.

Then look at article 35:00 for the legal use of force,then kiss your butt goodbye IF you break the law.

I would go with a CHEAP spanner wrench and get about a 12" or 14" model as they are fast,light,cheap.

Then buy one for your pocket,one for your cab - well ya get theiidea.

They are legal as they are a tool and NOT a weapon !!!.

Then really take the time to learn how and WHEN to use them.

btw - retired LEO 26 years in NYS.

#4 ·
What we used was a halon fire extingisher. We had a nut in Gary Indiana try forcing his way in while we were sleeping. Shot that thru the side vent he fell when he could not breath. I got out and helped him get up after. But he did fall a few times that was sad. Sad sad sad. So I did come up a lot of brusies it was a shame. But he did not get in and we drove off.

#5 ·
YES

I have highly reccemended fire extinguishers for home defense,never thought about a truck or motor home.

Great idea and yet still a weapon according to NYS,so be advised that anything you use as a weapon = in NYS is a weapon.

Try to explain to the nice HARD WORKING officer that you didnt INTEND to use it as such and he most likely will see it your way.

But stick to your story as to NOT INTENDING to be armed - stick with it and you will be good.

#10 ·
Contrary to popular belief, there are no FEDERAL laws against carrying firearms (or other weapons) in commercial vehicles.

You carry whatever you carry under the laws of each state you are in at the time, just like any individual in a private vehicle.

Of course, most all trucking companies have their own rules about firearm carry, which is generally NO. Even for owner operators contracted to a carrier. So even if you are "legal", you might get "fired".

And of course many truckers have to go to secure installations which may check VERY carefully for firearms or other things considered weapons.

Tire thumpers are probably the most universally carried implement.

- OS

#17 ·
There used to be a tire checking billy available that was about 14 to 16 inches long and at the end it had about 4 or 5 inches of galvanized pipe tightly fitted over the end of it. My Dad carried it on a dumptruck for years.

As far as New York is concerned, the place doesn't even allow a slingshot if it has a wrist brace on it, the classic "Wrist Rocket" is banned there. Apparently, you don't need a bayonet on the end of a slingshot in New York for it to be considered an assault weapon, just the wrist brace. :rolleyes:

Avoid the place like the plague it is.

#18 ·
I was arrested in NYS for holding a burglar at gunpoint who had broken into my home and caused a fight. I was the voice on the 911 tape. The police came arrested me for threatening him. (there were no threats on the tape). Their interpretation of NYS law at the time (1993) was that you have an affirmative duty to flee, if someone breaks in your house, you ave to run to the neighbor and call 911, and heaven help you if you don't.

There are five states that have NO right to self defense.

#19 ·
And places like that wonder why they have a crime problem.

And forumites on various forums always wonder why a person can get stabbed on the street and lie there for 45 minutes until he exsanguinates and no one will help.

The problems go hand in hand.

When a government shows a casual disregard for good human life compared to the protection they offer to bad human life and punishes the good and rewards the bad, this is what happens.

Worthless, absolutely worthless people like Eliot(t) Spitzer (Former NYS AG who has fallen from grace...) sues companies like Bud-K, if I remember correctly, because they were shipping blackjacks and saps to New York and he got that work done in between visiting prostitutes, of course. Of course, there are laws against visiting prostitutes in New York as well, but that's just for regular people.

Ed Norris, used to be a muckety-muck with NYPD, he immigrated to Baltimore years ago, become Chief of Police. Cheating on his wife with a local news anchor, Mindy Basara, and using city funds to buy her little nighties and stuff from whatever store he visited, isn't that sweet? Spent a little time in a fedpen for doing so, now he is a hero on talk radio, go figure.

Mick Jagger has been right probably three times in his entire life. :D:

"Go ahead, bite the big apple, don't mind the maggots."

#24 ·
6D maglite is really just a club with a dim light on the end (or a less conspicious 4D model, maybe with LED): "Its a flashlight, officer."

Linesman's pliers.

Tire thumper.

Crowbar.

Heavy book.

Steel-toed boots.

Tire iron.

Claw Hammer (16oz or greater). Ummm, claw hammer. Tasty.

Wasp spray.

Thats all I got right now.

#28 ·
You can buy a screwdriver that's like 2 feet long. Phillips head at that. Back in the day, that would have been considered a fine french dueling sword. Would've been worth a lot of money, very hard to get steel to go that thin for that long without it just snapping. Man, we are spoiled nowadays. I put one in my girlfriends car and it works alright as a small sword.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.