Survivalist Forum banner

Dual Survival

54K views 118 replies 67 participants last post by  SirThrivalist 
#1 ·
I know that a lot of people don't watch much tv, myself included. The only things I really watch EVER are Dicovery channel, National Geographic, SciFi, History and Travel Channel. I also know there's no "TV" section, but on the discovery channel tomorrow at 10 pm there's a new survival show called Dual Survival. It has Dave from Wilderness Outfitters and The Pathfinder School on there. It also has Cody Lundin. Looked interesting, they're surviving on two opposite ends of the spectrum. Cody likes to walk around barefoot, for instance, Dave is ex-military.

#45 ·
I used to be a big fan of Dual Survival and Dave Canterbury ever since he started on youtube, but recent events have come to light that caused me to lose ALL respect for him. Lying about military service is inexcusable in my opinion. Dave (who goes by the username “PATHFINDER”) admitted publicly he made false claims that he was an Army Ranger to embellish his resume. Apparently the real Army Rangers and many military personnel are appalled. He then removed that information when cast for the Dual Survivor series on Discovery knowing that claim was fraudulent.

Q: “...Please tell us Dave, did you ever claim to be an Army Ranger?”
A: “NO I have served with Ranger units in CA in the 80's on the same checkpoints and patrols and I dont even publisize that!...”

This previous quote from him was then posted:
“As an Ex Army Ranger,Survival Instructor,and Extreme Hunter I expect alot from my gear. It is for that reason that the gear advertised for sale on this site has all been tested by myself and my son in a variety of extreme conditions. When your life depends on what little you carry-Buy from Wilderness Outfitters. We appreciate your business.”

His response:
“I will not try to say that is not my quote and yes after working with ranger units extensivley in CA I do feel one of them but that quote was removed from my site ALONG time ago!...”

Read the whole story for yourself here:

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3851&page=11

#46 ·
I used to be a big fan of Dual Survival and Dave Canterbury ever since he started on youtube, but recent events have come to light that caused me to lose ALL respect for him. Lying about military service is inexcusable in my opinion. Dave (who goes by the username “PATHFINDER”) admitted publicly he made false claims that he was an Army Ranger to embellish his resume. Apparently the real Army Rangers and many military personnel are appalled. He then removed that information when cast for the Dual Survivor series on Discovery knowing that claim was fraudulent.
...http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3851&page=11
No argument about the Army Ranger thing. But was he really a Sniper for the Army? That is what the show is claiming in the credits. Not as a Ranger. Could have been a typo by the person runing the site as Dave stated on that message board. Many of my friends cant tell a Ranger from a Seal or a Green Beret from a Sniper.

#48 ·
His Army Ranger statement was not a mistake, he claimed it repeatedly to many people and even went so far as to use it in his military signature on a forum. I recall him saying he was a Ranger, he said it on his videos and that small forum he used to have going. It was meant to make him look better and he admitted to it. It was not a long time ago it was only a year ago.

LOL the sniper thing, that's a stretch too. SRT marksman maybe, Army Sniper, not so much. Dave is a tool and now he's been exposed. The more I think about it the angrier I get. I actually told people he was a good guy and directed them to his youtube channel. He deserves whatever he gets from this. Admitting that you lied after being "vetted" does not make up for the deception.

#50 ·
Love the show, and kind of drift towards Cody's side but I can't get my head around the barefoot thing.
Dave just irks me and his hardeheadedness. He is of the mindset that if the Army didn't teach him something, then its not worth him knowing. His lack of respect for Cody and his survival philosophy (who doesn't have the same lack of respect for Dave's) has me wanting to turn the tv off at times.

#53 ·
I spoke to Dave on the phone the other day. He said that the "conflict" between him and Cody is drama for Discovery. They have actually been friends for long time even though the show implies they just met. Dave is actually a big advocate of Cody's methods. The survival skills are the real deal or Cody would not have anything to do with the show, that's his agreement with Discovery. The drama on the otherhand, not so much the real deal.

#55 ·
The drama is going to kill that show in the end. Arguing like a couple of little girls to me isn't the makings of a good show about survival
Well I don't think they bicker like "little girls" and I have never seen drama kill a show. The "odd couple" element makes it interesting. Dave explained to me that his role was to ask the questions that the viewers would ask like "why is this dude barefoot in the winter?" If there is not drama then it won't stay on TV because 99% of the viewers are not members of the Survivalistboards.com but rather couch sitters looking to be entertained. This show at least tries to cater to people like us rather than 100% drama shows like Bear-sleeps-in-hotels-Grylls.

#51 ·
I was surprised that Dave as much as admitted his mistake, about underestimating Cody, in the first episode when he was so impressed with the shelter Cody built. I think Dave learned a lot from Cody, and tacitly admitted it.
Very disappointing to learn that he "padded" his resume by lying, or misrepresenting, his military service, training and qualifications. Takes a lot of wind out of his sails as far as I'm concerned.

#52 ·
This may seem to me to be a dumb question, but did anyone else but me feel that the porcupine scenario in episode one was staged? Perhaps that the animal was released on the island so Dave would have something to kill?

Just asking because it was a pretty small island yet they managed to find maybe two trees it had been after. T

And how did the porcupine get there in the first place? I can see one of them swimming a creek but in strong tidewater like that?

#62 ·
Opposum Slap episode??

Hey everybody, I was just wondering if anyone knows in what episode of Dual Survival they try to smoke some small animal out of its hiding hole (I think it was an opposum) and then once they get it out one of them slaps it once and kills it? Sorry I don't remember anything else about the episode, I think they were in Peru lol thx!!!!! :cool:

#71 ·
Hey everybody, I was just wondering if anyone knows in what episode of Dual Survival they try to smoke some small animal out of its hiding hole (I think it was an opposum) and then once they get it out one of them slaps it once and kills it? Sorry I don't remember anything else about the episode, I think they were in Peru lol thx!!!!! :cool:
The smoke out of the hole was episode 4 (I think)...I forget the animal, but it was a little critter.
There was another episode where Dave chased down a porcupine and whacked it once across the back of the neck and killed. I believe he did the same thing for the little guy that was smoked out of the hole.

#67 ·
When I watched the first show, I had my doubts if I'd like it or not. There was so much arguing between them it turned me off. But after watching a marathon of their shows yesterday, I've come to like the difference in personality's. Cody seems to have a very good sense of humor and Dave can be so intense at times. I'm liken it very much.

#68 ·
I'd about decided not to watch any more, but then they had an episode shot here in Arizona. I really wanted to watch that, but circumstances prevented it.
The Pacific NW episode wasn't too bad. I can't believe how they couldn't find an easier way across the canyon, and some of their tinder started amazingly easy given the amount of moisture and humidity they had to deal with. They wound up with a bow in a plastic case "because it floated", but they couldn't get the rest of their gear, even though the film showed it floating in a drybag. Ah, me, the things the pros have to put up with from the writers.
It seems that they, like Les Stroud's show, are give some certain skills to demonstrate in each episode, like the "metal match" in the PNW episode. Sometimes it works otu naturally, and sometimes it's kind of forced or fakey looking.

#72 ·
I liked most of the PACNW episode because it was my neck of the woods, and I know where it was filmed. On the down side I'm pretty much convinced some of the circumstances are staged, and some of the info was bs

1) Cody finds a dead spawned out steelhead. I'm not saying it can't happen but usually steelhead don't die. And if you looked close it had net marks on it which leads me to believe they got it from a tribal gillnetter. I can see why they did it not wanting to risk killing a spawning fish or a native, but it still had me laughing my ass off.
2) Cody's "gaff" - Cody was going to try and gaff a living steelhead or salmon with his branch and curved stick. Sure Cody, I'll fish you out when you get pulled downriver.
3) Cody and Dave walk west out of the Olympic Mountains but strangely didn't come across Hwy 101 on their way to the beach. Or any logging roads. Or clear cuts.
4) "If your on the Olympic Peninsula walk towards the ocean". Uh no. You should actually try walking NW or SW. If you go due west you'll just walk into a big wooded unpopulated area between two Indian Reservations (providing you dont stumble on Hwy 101 or clear cuts first)
5) Dave kills a turkey on the Western Olympic Peninsula - uh no again. We have turkeys in Washington but the only one that comes near that area is the Eastern Turkey and its range is south (about 20-30 miles) of where he was. There might be a few in the area he was in, but the whole thing screams "staged"

Btw here is the WDF Turkey Distribution chart
http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/water/turkey/turkey3.htm

#69 ·
I thought episode 7 was funny. Dave really can't do fire by friction. Something I already knew from his youtube vids. Tip is the same wood for the spindle and board.

Plus its looking more and more like Dave wants to get dysentery as thats about 3 epidoes I've seen where his is drinking unfiltered or boiled water.

I'm going to carry on watching it as its ALOT better than Man Vs Wild but still a bit rubbish at the same time. Plus watch with the massive need for food, you don't die after 3 days without food.

#102 ·
I'm going to carry on watching it as its ALOT better than Man Vs Wild but still a bit rubbish at the same time. Plus watch with the massive need for food, you don't die after 3 days without food.

Well said! I agree completely. I'd say it's not a very good show but Cody Lundin is extremely respectable and at some point I have to simply drop my guard and admit that this is TV and it's ok if I'm simply entertained a a lower level. Not every show can be Survivorman. Good shows rarely come along and a show as quality as Survivorman may never come along again.

I've watched the entire first season of Dual Survival and I give it a C+. With Man Vs Wild being an F- and representing the only other option, I feel ok watching Dual Survival.

#70 ·
If you guys miss any episodes you find them all, full episodes on youtube, I watch them every saturday morning, because of my job I work damn near every Friday night. So here's a link to that channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/DualSurvival. They're not the greatest quality in the world, but you tell what's happening, and like I said, they're full episodes, no commercials, and they are uploaded the night of the show, so they're up by Saturday morning.

#73 ·
Of course its staged, but I still love the show. Its the only way you can make a show of this kind of fringe equitable. It keeps rolling film down, costs down, and some form of linear order for a 1 hr show. Average Joe wouldn't want to watch a week long dual survival mini series in Olympic. It would be slow, boring, and repetitive. I enjoy how the two guys butt heads but seem to work better as the shows keep coming. It has a lot to offer but take it for what it is, TV. It needs the cool factor.

I could also see some liability issues if they were like ok we are at such a such location and because we know this is here and there etc. Some ding dong will prob get lost and think oh Dual Survival said the high way is over here and there ends his simple mind not realizing oh wait they edit those shows. The show is supposed to be a generalization of various terrain and areas. Of course you are a local with a great advantage and you know where they are but what if they aren't, you give them general advice that can work in a wide scope for various places. KISS lol I know tourists who get lost looken for restaurants going down the street with written directions, just think how it would be in a oh **** situation.

I remember when extreme home make overs came here.....totaly differant in real life!

#74 ·
I wasn't bashing the show, I love it. Still I thought the walk west to the ocean was bad advice, while other stuff was just damned funny.
The good thing about it is if someone does get lost in that area, and was able to watch the show if they follow the advice they will make it to a hwy so it evens out.

Still that turkey cracks me up. After that I expect Dave to hunt down wild zebras in Alaska

#80 ·
So anyone else getting sick of the show yet?

I thought the barefoot thing was interesting at first, but now after watching him hike over razor sharp rocks week after week it's got to the point where I can barely watch the show. The truth is it's the stupidest thing because a deep cut that gets infected would end his life in a real survival situation. This week they showed him salvaging a bunch sheets & clothing that were left over after a hurrricane - then he proceeds to hike over super sharp rocks & he doesn't try to cover up his feet.

And the stunts that Dave pulls week after week are right up there with some of the stupid stuff Bear does on his show.

They have a wealth of knowledge & skills between the two of them, but each has a major flaw in their survival approach.

#81 ·
Alright, so what were everyone's reaction to Dave's attempt to extract the honey in the hurricane survival episode.
For the small amount of comb he was able to get, it sure didn't seem smart.
Less than a month ago,I got stung by a bee on my instep, while walking barefoot in the yard. I needed to move the lawn sprinkler. Didn't really hurt, but a hour or so after I had a nice ring welt around the sting. The next day about half of my foot was swollen. Three days after the sting, that part of my foot itched like the ****ens.
Seems to me Cody had the better idea to just walk away. Imagine what could of happened if he had slipped and ripped open his improvised cover.

#82 ·
they bout do stupid crap that in real situation u shudnt do, the bee **** was very stupid bt if u arnt allergic and u hav some sort of cop on or know wat ur doing it cud be a calculated risk that pays of, iv been stung by bees and wasps ( and other insects) plenty of times never had a reaction horse fly bites are the big one to me cuz they itch like crazy. dave is a bit too gun hoe somtimes, bt a lot of the time it seems that cody relies on dave more than dave on cody, and i kno they have there individual streangths and weaknesses. still i like the show its interesting and i think u take away more from dual surviver than u do from man v's wild.

oh and i am sorry about my spelling and my slang if u have used any!

#84 ·
something i have noticed, there are more survival shows and such on then ever before, dual survival in which i like ,man vs wild, and then there is this one called the colony,its interesting to watch for me because i am new to this. but why are all these shows coming into play? is there an agenda to all of this? are they trying to help people prepare for what may be coming?

#88 ·
It is the mood of the country, even those who are in denial are starting to wake up. They can see our country is under attack from within, things are seeming to be coming to a head and truth be told a lot of those ( it can't happen to me ) are scared crapless by the things that could and might be, much sooner than any of us want. Yes the shows are popular because in the back of folks minds after katrina, they see what help in a huge mess they will get from the fed's. Yep ya are right on this one i think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.