Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 11-11-2012, 02:33 AM

Default INCH/BOB Clothes

Advertise Here

Well darn. I tried searching the forum for a thread on "survival clothes", but either i didn't use the search function correctly or there isn't a dedicated thread.
I'm looking for a set of clothes that wicks moisture well and is TOUGH. Like something for an INCH bag. I have access to Military BDUs, Carhartts and I have a couple pairs of 5.11 pants, but i feel like there is something better out there. As for climate, I live in SoCal. If someone could direct me to a good thread, or if we could start one, that'd be great!
The Following User Says Thank You to Delta1052 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2012, 03:54 AM
overcafienated since 1982

For so.cali I'd say pack mostly what you already wear(Light,breathable, and loose desert type clothes) a pair of jeans(durable),rainsuit(even the cheap pocket size are better than nothing)and plenty of clean undies.

The saying cotton kills really only applies to cold weather. Evaporative cooling is your friend in the desert southwet so stay light,loose, and light colored to make use of the sunlight in the daytime.
for nighttime sleeping a good wool blanket and waterproof ground barrier should be all you need if you have a bit of shelter and rain cover.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:15 AM
Fenced In

Thanked 1,177 Times in 599 Posts

I think the challenge will be finding something in between the moisture-wicking "base layer" clothing that has become so popular in the past few years, and the moisture-resistant outdoor/work clothes. The wicking materials I've seen are definitely not tough, and I doubt that most would even hold up to much more than limited abrasion from heavier fabrics. If you consider that most moisture-wicking clothes are used for exercise, the whole point is to give sweat somewhere to go. If you "seal" it with a heavy outer shell, the wicking function is limited at best.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,571 Times in 2,158 Posts

For some reason people spell it "cloths".

Clothes are clothes, what you wear when working outside.
Unless you're some ninja or camo freak even overalls should work.
I saw some pants in a magazine that were special made to carry M4 mags.
So there's a market for tactical cool.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Prepared

underarmour shirt and pants, socks, a pair of high quality pants with lots of pockets and reinforced crotch and knee's in them is all you need
Old 11-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,321 Times in 3,901 Posts

you might want to also research the concept of "The Grey Man" ....
Old 11-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Target Shooter

Avoid denim. True, evap cooling is nice but you ever spent time working in wet jeans? Baby rash de Dios!

5.11 is starting to make stuff cut like regular clothes but with durability and features.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Hunter

well bob clothing all depens on weight , climate you are in , temperature you are in and the various contextes you would bob out .

i think what is most important is layers , the diffrent heat exchange points of the body and the critical areas of the body that are sensible to temperature changes /environments

me i added a top layer but honestly i should add a pair of pants , wet weater coating and probably some more underwear. in my car to suplement that top layer
The Following User Says Thank You to |eric| For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 12,731 Times in 4,662 Posts

Let's focus on where you would possibly bug out to (assuming you could). All of southern California is a desert. The only reliable sources of water are at higher elevations and further north. You should consider clothing suitable for these higher and colder areas.

For example, let's say you see the potential for a crisis coming and you take your family on a fishing trip that week. The crisis hits and you are camped at 6,000 ft in the Sierra mtns.

You brought along the folks you love and all of your survival gear. You already filled the fuel tank when you arrived.

You have already bugged out.

What clothing do you need to survive at intermediate elevations (4-8,000ft) in the western mountains?

Winters are modestly cold and snowy, but the rest of the year in glorious. A real set of Carhart insulated coveralls and winter boots would be a smart addition to your normal clothes.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:41 PM
R.I.P. my USA, 1776-2008

Thanked 4,707 Times in 1,742 Posts

A good read on the 'GMC' ...

http://unnamedprepper.blogspot.com/2...y-and-how.html
Old 11-11-2012, 02:59 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 42,539 Times in 5,841 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

You might take a look at the Propper Public Service Tactical and lightweight Tactical cargo pants and shirts. https://www.epropper.com/categoryattribute/56

These are what I have and am quite pleased with them.

Just my opinion.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta1052 View Post
Well darn. I tried searching the forum for a thread on "survival clothes", but either i didn't use the search function correctly or there isn't a dedicated thread.
I'm looking for a set of clothes that wicks moisture well and is TOUGH. Like something for an INCH bag. I have access to Military BDUs, Carhartts and I have a couple pairs of 5.11 pants, but i feel like there is something better out there. As for climate, I live in SoCal. If someone could direct me to a good thread, or if we could start one, that'd be great!
For me, I'd use a synthetic compression underwear and tshirt then a set of level 1's or 2's a merino wool hoodie and a shell jacket. I'd wear a 65/35 poly cotton blend pants. I'm partial to the tru spec 24/7 pants. A wool or fleece cap with a bandana will work for the summer and winter months

For footwear, 2 sock liners, 2 merino wool socks, and a water proof boot (or a gore-tex insert)

That right there will take you through the summer months all the way through 0F if you're active
Old 11-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Run, you clever boy.

I keep a pair of military surplus mechanic's coveralls in my BOB. Simple, durable and efficient.