Went to the ENT yesterday... - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strange gash/bump/implant appeared on side of Hillary face yesterday in NH. Sprig Controversial News and Alternative Politics 43 10-31-2016 11:57 AM

Old 01-07-2017, 08:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,067 Times in 2,288 Posts
Default Went to the ENT yesterday...

Advertise Here

With my stubborn sinus infection, I went to my ENT (ear nose & throat doctor) yesterday. He's busy so I had to wait almost 2 weeks to get in.

I was treated with penicillin in the hospital in October with my heart attack. Another dose by my PC doctor, then Bactrim, Levaquin and finally Cipro.

It would get better for a while when I was taking something. I take OTC sinus pressure relief medicines and a prescription nose spray.

My ENT doctor is great. He does surgery and sleep studies as well. I did notice he does in-office balloon procedures to open sinus cavities, which is the root of my problem. He said we'll talk about that after I have a CT scan of my sinuses. I had one a couple of years back, but really had no bad sinus issues until recently. It did show a narrowed passage on one side.

First thing, he looks in my ears and throat, and my nose. Then he sprays a numbing agent in each nostril, after a few minutes he suctioned my sinuses and I felt better immediately. I've had it done before, so its not that weird. Next he takes a culture from my sinus cavities, from each side. This goes to a lab to see what is growing in my sinuses. A smart move. I never had this before.

I have an rx for a CT scan, I need an authorization number from my insurance. I have to wait a few days until the culture is processed and he'll call in the rx to my pharmacy. I need a fresh sleep study, which also has to be authorized, but I should get a new CPAP and other supplies. I need to get back on a regular mask replacement program. I've been buying them on eBay and Amazon.

That's it... sick of being sick and tired. It would be nice to finally get to fixing my sinus blockage. Previously he said only surgery would do it, now he does the balloon procedure in-office. He's always up on the latest procedures from what I see.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2017, 07:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,621 Times in 2,753 Posts

I'll be praying you find some relief. I had a pretty nasty sinus infection a couple weeks ago.

The pain is incredible.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2017, 07:16 PM
HidingInPlainSight 3%

Do you smoke and are you over weight?
Old 01-09-2017, 09:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,288 Posts

Iamfarticus, when you have chronic sinus problems, having the surgery is definitely worth it. It hurts like hell for a short time but then your problems are over-- for life, apparently.

I had the surgery in 1985 and I'm soooo much better off now. I breathe perfectly and my "million" polyps have not come back. I also can't remember the last time I had a cold or the flu, which were more common for me back then. If I feel something is not quite right in my sinuses, I use a little colloidal silver and the problem is gone in hours.

Best of all, I have not needed to pollute my body with antibiotics and other crap for this condition for over 30 years. Imagine that, especially if tshtf and there are no more antibiotics. If necessary, I would have the surgery again--in a heartbeat. Just never being sick from the sinus infections again would be worth ten times the pain of that surgery.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:26 AM
Survivor

I'm not that overweight at 235 lbs., down from 265 a few months ago. And I don't smoke. I have an air purifier in the house and the filters get changed all the time. Amazing what they will trap.

I would consider surgery at this point. I'll see what the CT scan shows and do what the doctor says. An in-office procedure would be nice if it works. He's on top of everything new so I have confidence. He did my septoplasty years ago, that was a nasty little recovery, he also did my tonsils and adenoids, even a worse recovery. But all worth it.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:58 AM
Survivor

My guess would be that this is mostly an outpatient surgery at this time. I stayed in the hospital that specialized in ENT overnight but IIRC it was my choice just because I was in so much pain that I didn't want to move. I had "a lot of disease, a lot of disease" as the surgeon kept saying. Unfortunately, I was awake during the procedure. I would have preferred to be unconscious. I was told that every surgeon did it the way he was trained and my surgeon had never done the surgery on an unconscious patient. I suppose that could have changed, too.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:04 AM
Prepared

Thanked 1,306 Times in 267 Posts

I hope they get you fixed up!! I have been suffering with chronic sinus issues for 20 years now after having reconstructive surgery to repair my face. (car accident) If I can everafford to, I think I'll be looking into the surgical route too. It's miserable to be sick all the time
The Following User Says Thank You to MissFilthyPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 01:18 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissFilthyPrepper View Post
I hope they get you fixed up!! I have been suffering with chronic sinus issues for 20 years now after having reconstructive surgery to repair my face. (car accident) If I can everafford to, I think I'll be looking into the surgical route too. It's miserable to be sick all the time
If your situation permits, you could do what I did. I got a job working for a radiologist, got great insurance through his business and got "free" surgery with that reciprocity thing doctors do for each other and their employees. All it cost me was cab fare home from the hospital. Soon afterwards, I quit that job and moved on to something better.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:43 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,306 Times in 267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay View Post
If your situation permits, you could do what I did. I got a job working for a radiologist, got great insurance through his business and got "free" surgery with that reciprocity thing doctors do for each other and their employees. All it cost me was cab fare home from the hospital. Soon afterwards, I quit that job and moved on to something better.
That's a pretty good deal! I may have to consider that. Thanks
Old 01-10-2017, 06:46 PM
Survivor

Quote:
You're welcome. Of course, my boss and I didn't have to deal with obummercare so I'm sure everything is different now.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:15 AM
Survivor

I have the CT scan authorization and will get that set up today. This just got so much worse than my usual sinus infections in the past. I'm glad the doctor took a culture to see what I have in my sinuses.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:44 AM
Survivor

You've probably had sinus xrays taken already and could see problems. I recall that there was a huge difference in the way my films looked, before and after.

I had my surgery done at Manhattan Eye and Ear Hospital on the upper east side. They had a very good rep at that time.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:01 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,293 Times in 639 Posts

Quote:
Better check carefully who you are working for and where first. That professional courtesy thing is dead for most doctors here, who now work as employees of hospital-controlled physician groups, let alone their office employees. And while some physician offices still provide good health insurance for their staff, many don't.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Min View Post
Better check carefully who you are working for and where first. That professional courtesy thing is dead for most doctors here, who now work as employees of hospital-controlled physician groups, let alone their office employees. And while some physician offices still provide good health insurance for their staff, many don't.
This does not surprise me. Yet another thing that obummer messed up, although I'm sure he never thought of this little perk.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:06 AM
Survivor

CT scan is done, took all of 2 minutes... in and out. I may hear something about the culture today, CT scan results by around Tuesday.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:39 PM
Survivor

CT scan showed nothing new other than my existing obstruction on one side. They are going to call in an antibiotic to my pharmacy today based on what was in the culture. I have to talk to them anyway and I'll find out what it was lurking in my sinuses.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:49 PM
ISIS causes Global Warmin

Thanked 5,095 Times in 1,734 Posts

Balloon Sinuplasty
It is an outpatient surgery.

http://metrosinus.com/

THE BEST in the WORLD
The Following User Says Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 03:07 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Tyler View Post
Balloon Sinuplasty
It is an outpatient surgery.

http://metrosinus.com/

THE BEST in the WORLD
My ENT does it too and that's one of the questions I have for him. It looks like it should work for me.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:52 PM
Prepared

If you are taking bp meds 1 of the side effects is stopped up sinus
I was recently put on bp meds and almost rhe same day had a stopped up sinus I cant rember the name of the 1st med that caused the problems but Bystolic hasn't given me any trouble
The Following User Says Thank You to browningv308 For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 02:42 PM
Deplorable

Do have any allergies? I would also look at my home air filters. Try cleaning your air ducts as well. I used an extension on my shop vac. Gotta change your air filters after doing this.
I'm a cardiac nurse so respiratory stuff is not necessarily my forte' but if something in your environment is causing an inflammatory response in your sinus passages, this is not allowing normal mucus produced in the sinuses to drain. This creates a perfect little place for bacteria to grow and to continue to grow after you're done with your antibiotics.
Just my .02!