How prepared are you when TSHTF? - Page 5 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nothing could have prepared me for these last few days... Mr4btTahoe Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 41 01-09-2017 04:03 AM
Prepared but not very organized. Karaya1 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 42 01-08-2017 12:49 PM
What Will You Do When Strangers or Friends Beg You for Supplies in TSHTF? AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 12-07-2016 05:30 PM

Old 01-17-2017, 07:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,345 Times in 5,920 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin94 View Post

<snip>

He does have a generator but he doesn't keep enough fuel on hand to last more than a couple weeks and in the event of an EMP it probably wouldn't work. This conversation got him thinking.
Why wouldn't it work? EMPs destroy microchips, not dynamos. Unless it was a very tricked out generator it would work. So would the electric pump. And most of the appliances in his house. Some people seem to think EMPs are magic that can't be protected against and will somehow stop all electrical devices from working. Such really isn't the case...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 07:23 AM
Prepared

I am one of those that believe TS has already HTF. I left the grid a few years ago. I am trading with others that have as well. We raise, grow, gather and hunt most of our food. The wind bring us safe and clean water. And due to living a healthy lifestyle, we need little medical care and what we do need is provided at a local holistic level.

I decided a few years ago I did not want to be beholding to either big government or big business and since they are the only two choices modern American society is giving us, I am bowing out of the whole mess along with a large group of others to live well without them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms. Tracker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 09:24 AM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 31,348 Times in 12,516 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin94 View Post
... I was talking to a family member that lives in a very rural area. He owns 77 acres and they run a granola business out of their home. Needless to say they have 100s of pounds of granola on hand at any given time and the raw ingredients to make 100s more. They have chickens as well as a substantial garden and they make their own maple syrup. They also have a wood burning fireplace and a wood burning stove. He was telling me how prepared he was and he is right. He is way more prepared than most preppers except that his only source of water on the property comes from a 400ft deep well and he has no way to get to that water without electricity. He does have a generator but he doesn't keep enough fuel on hand to last more than a couple weeks and in the event of an EMP it probably wouldn't work. This conversation got him thinking.
A Bison handpump would fix that.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:

Old 01-19-2017, 09:37 AM
Homesteader

Thanked 3,864 Times in 1,800 Posts

I believe the Bison will only pump from a maximum of 300' depth.
The Following User Says Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 09:42 AM
off-grid organic farmer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tracker View Post
I am one of those that believe TS has already HTF. I left the grid a few years ago. I am trading with others that have as well. We raise, grow, gather and hunt most of our food. The wind bring us safe and clean water. And due to living a healthy lifestyle, we need little medical care and what we do need is provided at a local holistic level.

I decided a few years ago I did not want to be beholding to either big government or big business and since they are the only two choices modern American society is giving us, I am bowing out of the whole mess along with a large group of others to live well without them.
Regardless of when SHTF happens exactly, hope to prosper beyond SHTF requires that you setup well before the event.

Like you, we did this a few years ago.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 09:44 AM
off-grid organic farmer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnairkin View Post
I believe the Bison will only pump from a maximum of 300' depth.
Good point, I missed that.

So shift to a compressed air lift system.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 10:30 PM
Say when

Thanked 1,587 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
It's a matter of extreme frustration.

The trend for going on 3/4 of a century has been to dependence, liberal agendas masquerading as tolerance yet really reverse repression, spin pretending to be news, insane government fiat spending with nothing really built with it, microspecialization and niche evolution in our lives, and a huge laundry list of utterly stupid trends. Hell, people are now famous for just being famous. Why does a Khardashian rate more global respect than Stephen Hawking?

We can see the car driving off the cliff and the monkey behind the wheel refusing to pump the brakes.

At a certain point we try to rationalize the inevitability by hoping for a controlled crash instead of a fireball rolling down the mountainside.

Cmo1037 doesn't really want the crash. He just wants the monkey to pump the brakes. But the monkey just screeches and cackles madly.

Weird thoughts run through your mind when you realize you are living in Jethro Tull's Locomotive Breath song.

Best to not voice those thoughts too loudly and also be a bit tolerant when you hear others unable to contain them.

Amen Brother...Amen.
The Following User Says Thank You to cmo1037 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2017, 02:48 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,926 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1037 View Post
Anyone else here almost hope for a 2 or 3 month SHTF event?
Just a nice, short, USA gone to **** for a bit, maybe kill off a decent percent of all the worthless scumbags in this country.
It'd be rough, and a lot of good people I'm sure would die as well, but hopefully mainly mostly the scumbags and freeloaders.
I'm sure you are probably just joking or venting. It would be a terrible thing to have the SHTF in my opinion. It's so nice to wake up and step in the shower and lie in a nice, air-conditioned room on a hot day. I love to go get a sausage biscuit at McDonald's and go online and talk to all of you great people. An apocalypse would be so awful, with people dying, starving, ect. If you think about it, there is a lot of good and wonderful things in our country, even though it might not seem like it sometimes.

I prep, but I hope the day never comes where I'm going to have to use any of it.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:58 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 32,084 Times in 12,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneLynn View Post
I'm sure you are probably just joking or venting. It would be a terrible thing to have the SHTF in my opinion. It's so nice to wake up and step in the shower and lie in a nice, air-conditioned room on a hot day. I love to go get a sausage biscuit at McDonald's and go online and talk to all of you great people. An apocalypse would be so awful, with people dying, starving, ect. If you think about it, there is a lot of good and wonderful things in our country, even though it might not seem like it sometimes.

I prep, but I hope the day never comes where I'm going to have to use any of it.
See the post above yours. It was my response. Cmo was venting.
To search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all the normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2017, 09:25 PM

I saw an article somewhere saying the reason shows like walking dead and the like are so popular now because people are unhappy with society. not saying they actually want the STHTF but subconsciously they think we would be better off. I can see where they're coming from after the last 8 years lol.

And to add to the thread. I feel that I would def last more than most but I don't have a support network to last the long term. Have to do something about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk