Survivalist Forum banner

300 yard rifle

14K views 29 replies 26 participants last post by  charlie505 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a good flat shooting 300 yard rifle anyone have any suggestions?Something reliable

#4 ·
I'm looking for a good flat shooting 300 yard rifle anyone have any suggestions?
6.5 Grendel (the expensive way) - easy targets at 300 yards; fun targets at 500 yards, challenging targets at 800 yards, lots of practice out to 1200 yards before you'll be hitting targets.

Enfield .303 (super cheap way) - does the same as above.
Nagant 7.62 x 54 (super cheap way) - same as above

#5 ·
Easy shot for my Remington 700 DSS(Deer Sniper System)(06)

#9 ·
I use an old school Lee Enfield that I rebuilt. It can be fitted with a scope, and it it s a reliable weapon. The problem with it is that it is hard to find ammo. I bought 20,000 surplus rounds but they were corrosive and I had to break my rifle down and clean it a lot. I would suggest it thou to any shooter.

#10 ·
I have two Lee Enfield's chamber in 308. (one is the Jungle Carbine nice little toy).

#15 ·
You left out the 6.8SPC fantastic round they are using in Iraq. Uses the M4 lower, changed out barrel and bolt.

#13 ·
Check out the ballistics for a .270 Winchester. It shoots "flatter" than the .308 Winchester. I have a Remington 700 deer rifle chambered in .270 Win. I got my mule deer in '07 at 310 yards with it, according to the rangefinder. I have it sighted in for 300 yards, have the ballistics table taped to my stock, had a non-moving target, and a stable prone position. Dropped it on my first shot.

#14 ·
I suggest going here, and picking out some calibers, and bullets with similar bullet weights, and seeing what shoots flatter to your liking. The gun and bullet will do there part, you are the most important key item when it comes to making a clean 300 yard shot. The equipment is only as good as its user. Most any of the medium to large calibers will make that shot with the know how.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/

#17 ·
Pretty much any Mil-surp bolt action rifle, or any civilian bolt action hunting rifle will be good at 300 yards. 300 yards seems to be the maximum range for most casual shooters to score hits. At 400-500 yards, many variables become "big" enough to actually make a difference. As far as autos go, ones that are good at 300 yards are the M1A, M1 Garand, Ar-15, Fal and G3. Your SKS's and Ak's are are capable of 300 yard hits, but it gets a little dicey.
If you're on a budget, it's impossible to beat the Savage 110. Out of the box, it's a 1 MOA rifle regardless of it's chambering. I have a Savage 11FP that will shoot 1-2 MOA all day long with Wolf .308. With decent .308, or match grade surplus 7.62 NATO, It's more like 1 MOA.

#18 ·
Go with a Mauser rifle and don't look back. If you want a Mauser in 8 mm, .308 or 6.5 X 55 you can't go wrong with any of them. Mauser rifles are not as abusive on your body as a Mosin Nagant rifle is and the ammo for them isn't anywhere as hard to find. Pick a Mauser for your area after you check around at some of the local gun clubs and gun stores. See what ammo is available locally and then pick your Mauser from that.

#25 ·
Those 6.5X55 Mausers are beyond belief. Seriously, they are one of the best shooting rifles that money can buy. Recoil is very mild, and they are SO ACCURATE. That long, skinny 6.5mm bullet bucks wind well, shoots flat, and has killing power on large game that is out of proportion to the ballistics of the rifle!

#20 ·
Just get a Remington 30-06 with a good 4-16x50 scope and you'll be in business. I consistantly hit half dollar sized groups at 300 yards with my Remington and Nikon Scope. You can pick this gear up at any Sporting Goods store and 30-06 ammo is abundant EVERYWHERE!!!!

#21 ·
i use a .300 win-mag for many reasons. For example on monday i was shooting 1.5 inch groups at 250 yards in gusting 30+ mph cross winds. However one of the drawbacks is barrel life. i get about 1500 - 2000 rounds, a .308 will get upwards of 10,000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.