Survivalist Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

FerFal of "surviving in argentina" on radio Saturday night

8K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  KaBar67 
#1 ·
In case anyone is interested, FerFal, the guy who writes the Surviving in Argentina blog and "Surviving the Economic Collapse" book will be on the radio this Saturday w/ the chris bronson show.

It's 8-11pm eastern this Saturday. The website/link is here: http://cbrons.com/episode-006-12292012/ if you are interested.

Personally I'd like to hear more from this guy, I know his youtube is popular and his writings as well. I think we are headed for an economic collapse sometime relatively soon here in the USA.

#2 ·
This will be interesting. He has seen a lot and although we are different than the Argentinians a lot will come down the same way. Like the remote farms coming under attack with the slaughter of the families. I really liked the interviews with Matt Bracken. I wish I was only 30 or 40 so I would be in better shape to deal with all this mess. Sixty is no fun and I like my sleep- in my own bed. Can't run and gun like the children.

#3 ·
Heh lots out there like you my friend. In fact, I think this is what Matt himself said.

In any case, I still recommend Enemies Foreign and Domestic to everyone who hasn't read it. Literally a fictional account of what is going on right now in our country and what might happen if these gun grabbers think they are going to push people around forever.

#9 ·
While I like some of what FerFal has to say he is too much a gloom and doom guy for me. He make it sound like everything will catch fire and hoards of zombies will roam the streets looking for someone to murder rape and rob (in this order). There are many lessons to learn from Argentina but one must also remember to learn how they coped with the problems and take the actions now to protect oneself now and not wait for STHTF.

I would advice everyone to listen to what FerFal has to say but to remember that it is a bit on the gloomy side since that is what the audience want to hear.

#10 ·
We have never lived what he has been through. When people have no food, water, hope...they will become animals just to find their next meal...or they will die. Throw one's children into the above...desperate people do desperate things. Who is going to watch their kids starve without doing something about it?

That's Argentina...look at the USA. We have a large class of gov't teat suckers, that are helpless without Uncle Sugar. Generations that don't understand self-reliance...have bankrupted this country. We also have a medicated populace, often paid for by the aforementioned Uncle Sug...how are they going to handle life without their meds (I'm not talking high blood pressure pills). That will be the Zombie Apocalypse people refer too. And it better be a head shot.

#11 ·
'Better to try to understand the crisis than try to run from it".

Massive inflation. Food is available, just crazy expensive.
Work exists, just hard to find.
Cash economy then barter.

Not sustenance farming, but hardship. He is so right on point. You don't fight this with an AR-15 but with a second income, a good fence, a neighborhood watch. You learn a language, skill and keep your faith. Thank you again FERFAL, I agree you can get used to almost anything and survive. As in Argentina, "ask anyone where they buy food" even in the county. Surviving on farms is a fantasy. Life will go on in the suburbs and be very difficult. Work is they key, not food.

Comparing Obama to Perone was right on.

#14 ·
Surviving on farms is a fantasy. Life will go on in the suburbs and be very difficult. Work is they key, not food.
Surviving on farms is fantasy? I'll have to call the kinfolk and tell them their whole life was a fantasy. During the Great Depression my family wasn't standing in bread lines, begging for handouts, or working for WPA. They weren't rich, but they did far better on the farm most people.

#13 ·
I did not take Ferfal as a doom and gloom outlook. What happened in Argentina might not happen here. It might just be much worse. We are not use to the things that happen as everyday life in Argentina. If we start losing our daily routine things could get downright ulgy. Or worse! Do prepare now. Change can sometimes come very suddenly. Ask the Russians living in the USSR. If you follow Ferfal's teachings like today, he says

"Lets enjoy these good times with the people we care about, recharge batteries so as to have the energy to face another challenging year!"

So prepare, but stop and smell the roses!

#17 ·
I've gleaned quite a bit of good info from FerFal for years now....

However, Argentina is a completely, totally different country. From grass roots economics, to education, as well as a peasant/serf/noble/rich class culture its night and day to the US. FerFal's insight is also from a urban perspective. The working class, or any class in Argentina isn't even as close to being armed as the US. With so many differences from the ground up its very hard to pull direct comparison's.

The rancher's and farmer's here are often veterans, more often than not armed, and in most cases very close with neighbors. I've seen first hand what happens when outlaws (tweakers/car thiefs/rustlers), visit ranches and farms. I've watched a truck thief call 9-11 on himself he-he...while he was pinned down in a ditch by a mob of neighbors. The deputy who arrived about a hour later, just laughed and used a loud-hailer to coax the dummy out'a the creek. And promised the shooting would stop. The rounds down range were just to keep him in the ditch. I guess the guy musta got tired of hitchhiking from the freeway. Our elected LEO's, here at least, either grew up on ranches or own one. I hate to think what would'a happened if the thief had been better armed, or had hurt somebody. ..D-E-D, dead... We as in all the neighbors monitor all the car traffic up and down the roads here. You can see a truck coming from miles and miles away, and at night even further.

So the rural aspect to FerFal, I'm afraid in my situation, won't apply. You can argue all you want about raiders, but its a long, long, way's to any real city where I'm stationed. I worry a lot more of being federalized to feed city people.-WW

ps. But glean what you can there are some good urban tips that could help save you someday.

#20 ·
If SHTF happens and there are millions of hungry people in the cities and burbs, do you think you can continue a normal country life? Can you provide 24/7 security? How many people do you think you can run off before you find one that refuses to leave? How many attacks could you survive? Granted that is worse case but however remote it is possible.

#21 ·
As much as I regret to say it, and as I mentioned before...the gov. will federalize the farms and ranches. And doing so it would be in their best interest to protect that food. How they do it or how they compensate the farmers and ranchers I don't know? If at all? But guaranteeeeee it's in a go-to-heck plan somewhere. But really who know's what those nitwits will try to do?

Now as far as a full blown, no gooberment anymore, anarchy. I think that will take quite a few years in this country in almost all situations I can think up. Even with a EMP/Nuke/Bio deal. Now years and years after the break-down, in my opinion it'll just be the wild west again. Posse's, ranch hands, and most likely all it would take is some folks strung up and left for all to see at the ranch borders and folks will stand down. But it depends on how close to large population centers those farms and ranches are. If all the fuel is gone, farmers and ranchers are going to have to scale so far back on operations that there will be very little chow to steal anyway. And after a full blown meltdown you mentioned there won't be milllions...they will either have froze, starved, or died from the heat with no water. I'm just speculating mind you. Just watching the latest disasters from the last twenty years, gooberment tried their best to control the masses, and the sheep just sat back bawlin with their hands out. I'd expect most of'em would croak before I'd have to do much. Especially clear out here in the boonies.-WW

#23 ·
If people think they can survive in a city or small suburb is crazy thinking. The mobs of people will run through your house like a hurricane, you won't know what hit you. Way too many people and most people live in a wood structure home which is far from safe. Where did prepping come from, I believe farmers, before the gov took our farm illegally that's how we lived as a kid. My 2 cents.

#26 ·
I think we are talking about two different time periods here. At the beginning (where we are now) a farm is far better IMHO to be on. Slow decay the cities and burbs will be high stress but still able to provide a living. Living in a rural area while might be stressful you don't have the added stress of 5 million people around you doing the same. My stress while living in Houston are vastly different and much higher than when I moved back to the family place. Still some stress but lower amounts but different. Now I have sold the farm and moved to a small town of 3.5K. Actually a little less stress and again different. But not bad at all. Easy living.

Now toward the middle/end of this period is when I see problems living remote without lots of help providing security. When things start getting bad to the point of people doing without is when the nasties will start looking for a easier life. Farms then might become targets.

The last stage or period is if gov does fail. Then when nothing is moving (including food and fuel resupply) that is when the hordes will scatter looking for food and shelter. I don't think this seems likely but it is possible. Then it will be a Mad Max type time period. Who knows.

#30 ·
Check out the Podcast "In the Rabbit Hole" if you get a chance. They have a few shows where they mention prepping for the most likely scenario first, then to a lesser degree for the least likely scenario.

For us, that means economic collapse first, then chemical attack and sliding down to nuclear attack. At the "more likely" scenario, I believe that society will remain intact but get much hard, like the Depression on steroids. I'm thinking 1910's, or at worst, 1880's. I do not see going to the stone age. I could be totally wrong.

FERFAL speaks to that. I see working more jobs, longer hours for less pay as more likely than becoming a subsistence farmer. Security will be an issue, but not roving gangs like Mad Max. Some level of trade and commerce will always continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.