bath tub water bladders - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prepping in a big city apartment - Priorities? 82Blazer Urban Survival 52 06-09-2017 10:59 PM
Well drilling fnrockstar22 DIY - Do It Yourself 9 05-30-2017 09:53 AM
Shelter in place kit? Buck91 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 05-21-2017 07:01 PM
Money/Wealth & Prepping wattda Financial Forum 16 05-05-2017 02:54 AM

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2017, 12:38 AM
Tusken Raider Tusken Raider is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 887
Thanks: 271
Thanked 1,067 Times in 409 Posts
Default bath tub water bladders



Advertise Here

There are 100 gallon. https://www.amazon.com/WaterBOB-Emer.../dp/B001AXLUX2

Does anyone have an reviews or opinions? I was thinking that one may fit the larger rubber maid totes. If 2 or 3 are bought, and only filler before a weather emergency, that would give 300 gallons of reserve water.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:01 AM
East Coast Woods's Avatar
East Coast Woods East Coast Woods is offline
VA / NC
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mid Atlantic
Posts: 11,900
Thanks: 35,624
Thanked 18,873 Times in 7,077 Posts
Default

12.5 x 6 would take a large storage bin, but good idea. I was wondering if reusable but did notice in the narrative that they are a one time use deal
Old 06-18-2017, 01:21 AM
Tusken Raider Tusken Raider is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 887
Thanks: 271
Thanked 1,067 Times in 409 Posts
Default

I read that one time use thing as well. I feel if you use diluted bleach wash, then turn upside down to dry and drain it should be reusable.

I decided to get the 5 gallon ones and put them into bins as well. But only right before a storm.

I have enough room on my back porch for 2 larger bins, and probably would put 2 more larger bins indoors.

The amount needed would be determined by the strength of the storm that is going to hit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tusken Raider For This Useful Post:
 
Old 06-18-2017, 02:28 AM
BabyBlue BabyBlue is offline
Forward, into the fray!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Near Denver, co.
Posts: 2,181
Thanks: 2,183
Thanked 5,239 Times in 1,584 Posts
Default

I have several. They are very thin and that is what makes me think they only want you to use them once. If you don't tug and pull at them they are good for what they are but you can't fuss with them much or they tear.

I have made wood frames that fold up so they can be stashed. Get them out, put a tarp liner in them to give them a bit more sturdiness, and then put the water bladder in and fill with a hose. They can be set up anywhere this way, freeing up the bathtub for it's normal use. The frame must be sturdy because that much water is heavy and will bow out the sides and you'll have a misshapen gelatinous puddle that soon pops (go ahead, ask me how I know LOL).

All in all, they could be handy IF you are given enough fore warning to get them filled.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 03:11 AM
Camelfilter's Avatar
Camelfilter Camelfilter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Salem Oregon
Posts: 40
Thanks: 179
Thanked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Curious on if it might not just be more efficient to make your own using wood frames like @BabyBlue suggested.

I'd imagine that a tarp, in combination with contractor grade garbage bags might work a charm.

Obviously you'd have to pump, syphon the water out, but that'd be relatively easy.

Thoughts on whether that might be worthwhile?
Old 06-18-2017, 04:38 AM
NY Min NY Min is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: New York
Posts: 2,077
Thanks: 989
Thanked 3,067 Times in 1,370 Posts
Default

You don't want to be storing potable water in plastic garbage bags, no matter what grade.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 07:12 AM
IamZeke's Avatar
IamZeke IamZeke is online now
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 18,931
Thanks: 18,574
Thanked 35,650 Times in 13,351 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusken Raider View Post
There are 100 gallon. https://www.amazon.com/WaterBOB-Emer.../dp/B001AXLUX2

Does anyone have an reviews or opinions? I was thinking that one may fit the larger rubber maid totes. If 2 or 3 are bought, and only filler before a weather emergency, that would give 300 gallons of reserve water.
No matter their gallon rating, a Water Bob only holds as much water as a tub does.

As for a plastic tote I do not recommend that at all. That much water is heavy. The WB will offer no support. Try filling your tote up now without the WB and see how well it supports itself. If it's bowing out then you risk a structural failure. Try pulling it around while you are at it to see what a boat anchor it becomes. You should only use a container that can already support that much water by itself. The WB just being a food grade liner for it.


As for the person who mentioned trash bags, don't. They are not a food grade container. Modern ones are also biodegradable, which means they are designed to fail at some point. Water is an aggressive substance and that much weight will also stress the bag. So you are first making the water unsafe and then running fast at bag failure as well. It's your emergency water supply. Don't try to go cheap on the next most important thing in life besides air.


At some point very early in your prepping you need to get very serious about water storage. Serious as in brand new food grade drums or bigger. Walmart will deliver a new 55 gallon food grade drum to your doorstep for about $60 including shipping. Unless you live in a tiny apartment where drum storage is out or you want to store so much water that you investigate IBCs or cisterns then drums are how most people get the job done. Trying to get water storage on a large scale done should never be an effort cobbling together trash materials just to save a few bucks. Go earn more money or get rid of some other current expense in your life.
__________________
Need more info? Try this:

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 11:22 AM
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline
Walking methane refinery
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 54
Posts: 61,386
Thanks: 126,722
Thanked 145,070 Times in 42,694 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1
Default

It doesn't matter how many gallons they say it will hold. It will only hold as much as your tub does. A 100 gallons bladder in a 50 gallon tub holds 50 gallons. And I seriously don't think totes would hold up to the weight of water.
__________________
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 11:26 AM
NY Min NY Min is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: New York
Posts: 2,077
Thanks: 989
Thanked 3,067 Times in 1,370 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
And I seriously don't think totes would hold up to the weight of water.
I thought he was considering using one of the 5-gallon sink pillows in a tote, which should work if it is a sturdy tote. That's only 40 pounds. Although I would think a multi-use 5-gallon water container would make more sense to spend money on.
The Following User Says Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 02:53 PM
Camelfilter's Avatar
Camelfilter Camelfilter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Salem Oregon
Posts: 40
Thanks: 179
Thanked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
No matter their gallon rating, a Water Bob only holds as much water as a tub does.

As for a plastic tote I do not recommend that at all. That much water is heavy. The WB will offer no support. Try filling your tote up now without the WB and see how well it supports itself. If it's bowing out then you risk a structural failure. Try pulling it around while you are at it to see what a boat anchor it becomes. You should only use a container that can already support that much water by itself. The WB just being a food grade liner for it.


As for the person who mentioned trash bags, don't. They are not a food grade container. Modern ones are also biodegradable, which means they are designed to fail at some point. Water is an aggressive substance and that much weight will also stress the bag. So you are first making the water unsafe and then running fast at bag failure as well. It's your emergency water supply. Don't try to go cheap on the next most important thing in life besides air.


At some point very early in your prepping you need to get very serious about water storage. Serious as in brand new food grade drums or bigger. Walmart will deliver a new 55 gallon food grade drum to your doorstep for about $60 including shipping. Unless you live in a tiny apartment where drum storage is out or you want to store so much water that you investigate IBCs or cisterns then drums are how most people get the job done. Trying to get water storage on a large scale done should never be an effort cobbling together trash materials just to save a few bucks. Go earn more money or get rid of some other current expense in your life.
Easy now. It's not always about costs.

& I absolutely appreciate the reminder not to use non-food grade for water storage! Thanks!

-just thinking on some type of way to have a reasonably sturdy, collapsible storage option, rather than drums.

-Would a kiddie pool be safe from leaching agents? Thinking those blow up kinds. I mean there for kids, so I'd hope they'd be tested.

My personal concern, where we live would be the bathtub bladder & having sewage system backup. That'd be rather unpleasant, but we'd work with it.

It'd seem a little more "pleasant" to access water storage outdoors, but not tie up space with drums. Just a thought mind you. AND OBVIOUSLY would require advance notice to fill them, just as advance notice would be needed to fill the bath tub.

-Thoughts.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:52 PM
LordOpie's Avatar
LordOpie LordOpie is offline
Awaiting ***** suspension
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: denver
Posts: 7,452
Thanks: 18,801
Thanked 13,696 Times in 4,714 Posts
Default

we have an inflatable pool as part of our plan, but it's more for hygiene, flushing toilets, doing dishes... If we don't have to use our limited drinking water for anything but drinking, then it'll last longer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LordOpie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 07:03 PM
IamZeke's Avatar
IamZeke IamZeke is online now
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 18,931
Thanks: 18,574
Thanked 35,650 Times in 13,351 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelfilter View Post
Easy now. It's not always about costs.

& I absolutely appreciate the reminder not to use non-food grade for water storage! Thanks!

-just thinking on some type of way to have a reasonably sturdy, collapsible storage option, rather than drums.

-Would a kiddie pool be safe from leaching agents? Thinking those blow up kinds. I mean there for kids, so I'd hope they'd be tested.

My personal concern, where we live would be the bathtub bladder & having sewage system backup. That'd be rather unpleasant, but we'd work with it.

It'd seem a little more "pleasant" to access water storage outdoors, but not tie up space with drums. Just a thought mind you. AND OBVIOUSLY would require advance notice to fill them, just as advance notice would be needed to fill the bath tub.

-Thoughts.
Sturdy is one thing and collapsible is another. To do both you require something super sturdy. That would require something on the order of oak wood lumber and a respectable carpentry skill, or welded steel, and either on heavy steel hinging. You will spend a lot more on materials for the contraption than a new blue food grade drum would cost. Plus a rig like that would be so bulky and heavy you won't be saving a lot of space, not to mention you still require a solid skill set making them.

Space is an issue all preppers face unless they bought a fairly oversized home or had one purpose built. Few people have done either before they had their prepper epiphany.

You require more space and there is no getting around it. Fortunately, your water storage doesn't require climate control like food does. Your easiest solution is an outbuilding. Sheds from the home center are affordable and do not require the strong construction skill set that trying to make finished hardwood carpentry or welded steel cages require.

Or you can try tracking down some food grade IBC's. They are a nice way to store a couple hundred gallons in a bit less space than a standard pallet of goods would take up. You can even store IBC's outdoors if you wrap their exterior in black plastic garbage bags to inhibit algae growth.

__________________
Need more info? Try this:

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 08:07 PM
panoz77's Avatar
panoz77 panoz77 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 9,860
Thanks: 3,746
Thanked 15,711 Times in 5,720 Posts
Default

Collapsible water storage containers that are reuseable.

You can probably find them cheaper.

5G
https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Prod.../dp/B0055DX9JQ

https://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-Coll.../dp/B006EHACXS

I also keep a water bob, and have a 7 acre pond at my BOL.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:00 PM
East Coast Woods's Avatar
East Coast Woods East Coast Woods is offline
VA / NC
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mid Atlantic
Posts: 11,900
Thanks: 35,624
Thanked 18,873 Times in 7,077 Posts
Default

I have drums. About the only use that I could see for the bladder myself is in the event of a hurricane when you have some advance warning. Many other situations seem they would be upon the affected area to fast to take the time to fill the bladder. My primary source - multiple 50 gallon drums stay full all the time.

Small plastic tubs wouldn't fit into my plan if the most probable of events happens as they would just become a UFO
The Following User Says Thank You to East Coast Woods For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 09:08 PM
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline
Walking methane refinery
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 54
Posts: 61,386
Thanks: 126,722
Thanked 145,070 Times in 42,694 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Sturdy is one thing and collapsible is another. To do both you require something super sturdy. That would require something on the order of oak wood lumber and a respectable carpentry skill, or welded steel, and either on heavy steel hinging. You will spend a lot more on materials for the contraption than a new blue food grade drum would cost. Plus a rig like that would be so bulky and heavy you won't be saving a lot of space, not to mention you still require a solid skill set making them.

Space is an issue all preppers face unless they bought a fairly oversized home or had one purpose built. Few people have done either before they had their prepper epiphany.

You require more space and there is no getting around it. Fortunately, your water storage doesn't require climate control like food does. Your easiest solution is an outbuilding. Sheds from the home center are affordable and do not require the strong construction skill set that trying to make finished hardwood carpentry or welded steel cages require.

Or you can try tracking down some food grade IBC's. They are a nice way to store a couple hundred gallons in a bit less space than a standard pallet of goods would take up. You can even store IBC's outdoors if you wrap their exterior in black plastic garbage bags to inhibit algae growth.

The IBC totes were a big part of my water storage solution. You can stack two of them under a standard 8 foot ceiling. I have them stacked in the far corner of the garage. I also found a 325 gallon water tank that was used for watering animals. Free for the hauling. That's the one I have problems with since it's outside and no matter what I seem to do, it always grows algae. But it does make for good wash water.
__________________
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 12:41 AM
Camelfilter's Avatar
Camelfilter Camelfilter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Salem Oregon
Posts: 40
Thanks: 179
Thanked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Sturdy is one thing and collapsible is another. To do both you require something super sturdy. That would require something on the order of oak wood lumber and a respectable carpentry skill, or welded steel, and either on heavy steel hinging. You will spend a lot more on materials for the contraption than a new blue food grade drum would cost. Plus a rig like that would be so bulky and heavy you won't be saving a lot of space, not to mention you still require a solid skill set making them.

Space is an issue all preppers face unless they bought a fairly oversized home or had one purpose built. Few people have done either before they had their prepper epiphany.

You require more space and there is no getting around it. Fortunately, your water storage doesn't require climate control like food does. Your easiest solution is an outbuilding. Sheds from the home center are affordable and do not require the strong construction skill set that trying to make finished hardwood carpentry or welded steel cages require.

Or you can try tracking down some food grade IBC's. They are a nice way to store a couple hundred gallons in a bit less space than a standard pallet of goods would take up. You can even store IBC's outdoors if you wrap their exterior in black plastic garbage bags to inhibit algae growth.

Totes-AHA! Thanks for that. Had completely forgot about them. A quickie search shows food grades are available around us.

We have a trailer to haul 'em as well.

Will have to do some measuring in the shop to determine if space is available, vs outside (tarped)---AND if need be if outside tarped will be OK aesthetically for the better half.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:40 AM
IamZeke's Avatar
IamZeke IamZeke is online now
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 18,931
Thanks: 18,574
Thanked 35,650 Times in 13,351 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelfilter View Post
Totes-AHA! Thanks for that. Had completely forgot about them. A quickie search shows food grades are available around us.

We have a trailer to haul 'em as well.

Will have to do some measuring in the shop to determine if space is available, vs outside (tarped)---AND if need be if outside tarped will be OK aesthetically for the better half.
Some advice on getting them.

The absolute best way to get them is trying to mooch them off the dock of a local food packer or soda bottler. It's free or close to it, but you have to be able to wheel and deal better than most because IBC's are no longer anonymous and lots of folks ask for them. Also remember that these places buy their cleaning chemicals and lubricants this way too. Make sure you see a food label on them. And don't show up expecting one lick of help to fetch and drive off with them. Best you'll get is being told to check out their pile of used ones and handle it yourself. Show up in a proper truck too.

The next best way is to buy them new. Expensive! Several hundred dollars at least. But you also get your choice of options in case you want to plumb it a bit or get a black bladder.

Worst way is to buy them used. Yet this is the way most people try to get them. The short of it is there is absolutely no way to guarantee it was only used for food products. Labels and food residue can be faked in minutes and there is no secret way to learn the truth. The used IBC and barrel drum business is a massive scam market. The incentive to cheat is huge and you simply cannot prove them wrong by looking at the containers if the seller has any lick of sense at all. For barrel drums my advice is to simply never do it at all. But at least with IBC's the frame is the most expensive part and they don't have to meet a food standard. Tell the seller you are there only to pay for a used frame and are not going to buy a used bladder. Then go buy a new bladder on your own. A used frame and a new bladder is a good safe compromise. Still won't be dirt cheap, but somewhat affordable.

As Mike says, you can stack them 2 high in a garage that has an 8 foot ceiling. That would be a reserve of over 500 gallons of water on a 4x4 foot footprint. Just make sure you are resting the frames on concrete. Should be self apparent but we get all types here. If you stack them remember to include some basic plumbing to fill them because there is no way to move them once you start filling unless you own a forklift.
__________________
Need more info? Try this:

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 10:45 AM
P-Dub P-Dub is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 375
Thanks: 1,236
Thanked 792 Times in 270 Posts
Default

Just a couple of quick questions about the water barrels you guys are suggesting:

How do you fill them up? I do not think a hose would be the way to do it because hoses leech BHP.

Supposing one did use a hose or had contamination of some sort like algae, would you be able to treat the water in your barrels the same way you would treat raw water from a lake?
Old 06-19-2017, 01:11 PM
T-Rex T-Rex is offline
Ordinary Average Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SE Texas
Posts: 634
Thanks: 888
Thanked 745 Times in 363 Posts
Default

I grabbed a couple drums from Walmart. For filling, I picked up a fresh water hose from the local RV supply. (also available online). I happen to have a spigot in the utility room that has hose threads.

For now, I rotate water every 6 months by dumping the barrels into the horse trough. I am trying to decide if using preservative is economical in my situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to T-Rex For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 02:19 PM
Brettny Brettny is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ny
Posts: 212
Thanks: 0
Thanked 147 Times in 84 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz77 View Post
Collapsible water storage containers that are reuseable.

You can probably find them cheaper.

5G
https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Prod.../dp/B0055DX9JQ
.



https://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-Coll.../dp/B006EHACXS

I also keep a water bob, and have a 7 acre pond at my BOL.
These kind of jugs always leak or get a hole. I use to use them alot before i found another brand. People tend to love the aquatainers from walmart. The valve and cap really turned me off to them. I only buy the LCI brand ones now. You can drop these full on there lid and nothing will happen, even a guy that froze one and it still is water tight. Yes they cost more but you will never need to spend the money again.

http://buylci.com/ItemDisplayF.aspx?...&ItemID=906396
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brettny For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net