Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Bolt Action Sporterized Rifle w/Leather Sling (USED) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 05-17-2017 02:14 PM
Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Bolt Action Sporterized Rifle w/Monte Carlo Stock (USED) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 05-17-2017 01:21 PM
Pellet Rifle Myths. nomadshooter Firearms General Discussion 2 01-15-2017 05:21 PM
Building a new Back Country Hunting Rifle Hick Industries Rifle Forum 28 12-07-2016 08:43 AM
Complete List Living off the Grid Grifters Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 123 11-27-2016 10:27 AM

Old 06-19-2017, 08:58 AM
Target Shooter

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
if i was in some urban setting going building to building id much rather take a 7.62x39 or 5.56 with the faster followup shots, larger mags, and more amount of ammo carried that they offer, the only scenario id ever imagine favoring a 308 would be where greater than 300 yards was frequent and more likely, like oklahoma or arizona
Some folks agree, and some from armies that used to be issued 7.62x51 battle rifles wish they could have it back instead of the 5.56 they now get issued.

Anyway I agree 7.62x39 is a good round, I was thinking of getting one at one point in CZ527 bolt action. I am on the other end of the scale for this thread anyway, all round to me as the OP asked I suggested a scout style/bolt action, rather than battle rifle.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:13 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,757 Times in 632 Posts

Why do you need a 250 yard rifle in the Appalachian mountains. From my experience hiking in the Smoky Mountains, you won't get a good shot over 100 yards in the thick forest. Now some of the valleys may be more clear for longer range shots. However don't know where you would be.

Light rifle, 250 yards, carry all day. Browning BLR or lightweight bolt in 308 as other have said. 100-150 yards, a 44 lever gun gives 10 rounds and very light weight, especially a Marlin. Henry's are a little heavier. I have a friend who killed a 9 pt buck at 192 yards (measured) but he aimed a foot high, with a 44 mag Ruger auto.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:21 PM
Awesome

Thanked 8,106 Times in 3,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtus View Post
Some folks agree, and some from armies that used to be issued 7.62x51 battle rifles wish they could have it back instead of the 5.56 they now get issued.

Anyway I agree 7.62x39 is a good round, I was thinking of getting one at one point in CZ527 bolt action. I am on the other end of the scale for this thread anyway, all round to me as the OP asked I suggested a scout style/bolt action, rather than battle rifle.
his criteria was something lightweight, could take a beating, and hunt out to 250, 5.56 and 7.62x39 both cover that and the lighter weight ammunition means he could carry more and take more game with what he could carry, lighter, more maneuverable rifles too

AKs are often left on the "2" setting on the rear sight and zeroed in at 25/200 so point of impact is pretty close to point of aim out to 300 yards and the rest is knowing your proper holdovers so he wouldnt even need optics, easily done on an AR-15 as well but the AK does get the edge on its ability to take a beating

Old 06-19-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goon View Post
My Weatherby Vanguard (made in Japan by Howa) is a great rifle, and they're making a carbine version now that shaves a little weight off. In the OP's position, I'd start there as a base rifle, add a medium range scope - 3x9, 2x7, or something like that - and call it good. I'd like to add something like this to my own collection.
Thanks for the insight, hadn't looked at Weatherby but they look like a good option! There are a couple DM options as well, more configurations than expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntoteninfadel View Post
...While I do realize what the title says I am thinking he meant "all around hunting rifle" but I may be confused, seems to be happening more often lately.
This is right on - I should have clarified earlier. This isn't necessarily a "one gun to rule them all" post, but a packable hunting gun that can also fill all the other roles. I'm rebuilding my safe and this will likely be the first in it. I plan on building an AR and 20 gauge for home defense, as well as working on my CCW this summer. The bolt gun argument is me looking forward to hunting in NC/SC this fall :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy View Post
Look at the Ruger American Predator in 308, get a Vortex scope. Put a Muzzle Brake on it (its already threaded for a brake).

It will do anything that needs done, up to 1200 yards. Is well within your price and weight range set up as mentioned above.

...Accuracy is what counts. You wont find a more accurate rifle for the price.

...Personally if I lived in NC I'd go the Predator route in 5.56. Nothing in NC that cant be taken down with the 223, and its good for 1000 yards with the heavier bullet. The RAP come in 1:7 twist so you can use the heavier 80-90 gr. bullets.
I hadn't even considered the American (cheap rifle bias? even though I need to go cheap?!)...Looks like it really would fill the role starting out fresh again. It seems to have great reviews for as inexpensive as you can find them, and leaves room for nicer glass on top.

As for 5.56...maybe I just grew up shooting/hunting when it wasn't nearly as ubiquitous (or legal, in the state of CA) but are heavier loads really that capable for large game? I don't plan on hunting moose anytime soon, but are a big body whitetail or even a black bear going to be ethically harvested (of course, a lot of that is my responsibility as a shooter) with 5.56, ballistically speaking? Again, I am completely new to 5.56 but was planning on getting into an AR after I finished out a 'all around hunting rifle' :-)
Old 06-19-2017, 03:47 PM

This has generated a lot of great dialogue.
I will add my opinion to this mix.
I would go with .308. It fits what you are after, and more, and is definitely an all around cartridge.
To make it easy, there are a couple off the shelf options in a reasonable price range.
Rem 700 and Howa 1500.
There are others, but these are the two which I have decided to be the easiest to mess with.
Detachable bottom assemblies are available for reasonable cost...

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/howa-...tom-metal.html

The initital platform is available for just under $350...several locations.
Stocks, sights, scope mounting options and other sundry aftermarket goodies are plentiful and reasonably priced to allow you to customize to your hearts content.

Accuracy in either platform can be very acceptable.

If it were me I would outfit with open sights, in addition to a lower magnification scope, say 4x, 6x, or 3x9. Many decent options for budget minded individuals.

This package could be put together for under $750, with all the bells and whistles, glass bedded easily, and provide with lifetime of use and utility.

Or , you could just look around for a good used .308 with appropriate barrel length and go from there. There are usually plenty to be found for very reasonable prices. Personally, I prefer used any day...just me.

Best wishes, and good hunting.
re
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedElk For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 04:51 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,029 Times in 429 Posts

Ruger American Predator in .308 with a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9 40mm scope ~ $500 and a WASR10 ~$500. DUN! Don't say it can't be done, I bought NIB Ruger American Predator .308 for $312 + tax and PICS = $461.71, at a gun show, and a new WASR10 on gunbroker.com for $449.00 + $35 shipping and $30 FFL fee = $514. $975.71 total. Throw in a $35 AK optic mount from Greenblob Outdoors on Amazon and for $1010 that should cover EVERYTHING.

Last edited by bigg777; 06-19-2017 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: added info.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigg777 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 11:30 PM

+ 1 on the American....
Old 06-19-2017, 11:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,125 Times in 1,121 Posts

BUILD?

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

NOBODY builds these anymore!

These things are assembled!!!!!

From parts machined already in a kit or whatever?

Come on?

Back in the day some of us machined the receivers for STENS or maybe an UZI.

BUT, NOBODY NOW MAKES OR BUILDS ANYTHING ON THEIR OWN!!!!

You just order a kit or find some place like PSA to punch it all out for you to assemble.

Then we have to listen to some rich kid that ordered some expensive parts they hire a tech to assemble for them talk about all of this long distance range firing they do.

MAN, what a bunch of BS!!!!!!!!

They say you pay enough money for the parts you assemble and you are some kind of rightoius high performance long distance range shooter.

BS BS BS BS BS BS BS

MAN, go and get a grip!
Old 06-20-2017, 07:51 AM
Prepared

How about a different approach.

As hunting is the primary use, with preparedness being a secondary use, get a rifle in a caliber for hunting. I love the mid power cartridges for medium size game. The 260rem, 6.5 cm, 25-06 range would be perfect for your stated use.

Get a Savage in a hunting caliber. Then pick up a Savage barrel wrench and a cheap take-off barrel in 308, it takes about five minutes and a quick re-zero and you have a .308

I have a Savage long action and six different caliber barrels.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taxed in Maine For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 02:24 PM
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxed in Maine View Post
How about a different approach.

As hunting is the primary use, with preparedness being a secondary use, get a rifle in a caliber for hunting. I love the mid power cartridges for medium size game. The 260rem, 6.5 cm, 25-06 range would be perfect for your stated use.

Get a Savage in a hunting caliber. Then pick up a Savage barrel wrench and a cheap take-off barrel in 308, it takes about five minutes and a quick re-zero and you have a .308

I have a Savage long action and six different caliber barrels.
so then why the hell not just hunt with 308?.. which newsflash, easily kills anything on this continent, why over complicate it just for the opportunity to use more expensive ammo?

you may have 6 different barrels, but youre using one out at a time and will still get your ass handed to you by just about anybody with an AK or AR inside the range outlined by the OP
The Following User Says Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 02:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,184 Times in 2,030 Posts

I like the idea of a light weight rifle (5.6 lbs) in stainless steel, the .308 will do what is needed and the cartridge can be handloaded from Varmint to Bear bullets. You might want to check out a Savage 16, there are companies that make extended mags for the model 16.
These can be found for less than $700.
Savage 16:
https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...sit=&pid=&inv=
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalifornia Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 04:07 PM
Prepared

Having only driven through the Apps, I'll say that what I saw looked very brushy, like here at home. That said, if it's brushy where you are likely to hunt, I'd say a lever action chambered in a flatter round as they have an easier time going through brush without being deflected.

If weight is a concern, I like the Rossi R92's. For super light weight, the .357 with a 16" barrel is shorter and nearly as light (unloaded) as a Red Rider BB gun. I believe the .44 mag is also sold with the 16" barrel option.

If you think a 200+ yard shot is LIKELY then I'd say go with a .30-30 or even .35. Just my .02
Old 06-20-2017, 06:45 PM

What seems overlooked at times with all the choices we now have is the venerable 30-30. I'm sure most everyone here knows has taken everything on this continent many, many times over.
You can spend a lot of money on lots of very good stuff but, the fact is you don't have to. A lever rifle is resilient as hell, most are as accurate as you are capable of shooting. the big deal to me is get as good a scope as you can afford and that you like to use.
The Following User Says Thank You to e36722 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 07:45 PM

Mauser K98
The Following User Says Thank You to FirstSergeant For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 08:27 PM
Prepared

Quote:
so then why the hell not just hunt with 308?.. which newsflash, easily kills anything on this continent, why over complicate it just for the opportunity to use more expensive ammo?

you may have 6 different barrels, but youre using one out at a time and will still get your ass handed to you by just about anybody with an AK or AR inside the range outlined by the OP
I won't get my ass handed to me by a moron that thinks an x39 is a 500yd cartridge.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Taxed in Maine For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 09:10 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,569 Times in 1,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUBEE View Post
Yup, another one of these. Not because I like redundancy, but because I am genuinely interested in what y'all think about these criteria.

The context: I am somewhat new to the Appalachian mountains and want to get back into hunting (grew up on blacktail and hogs in coastal mountains of California). I want to build a rifle that can take a beating, be packed for several miles a day, reach out to ~250yds (should never need to shoot past that, ever), harvest whitetail and hogs and be enjoyable to take to the range with some friends on the weekends to run a box or two through it.

My ideas:
.308 bolt - easy and cheap enough to source, big enough to do what I need while not being painful to shoot
18-20" barrel - figure this is as short as I dare go for 308, but short enough that it brings the weight down and handles well for packing/brush
DM - it'd be nice to plug in a 3-5 rnd magazine for hunting, and a 10 rnd for range days
7 lbs unloaded - I'll put glass on it, and want the complete system to be well under 8 lbs
controlled feed - not necessary, but I like how it cycles
total system <$1k - on a budget here - will likely spend ~$200 on decent scope

I've toyed around with the idea of a scout rifle, but haven't handled one before so not convinced the LER setup is what I need or what I would like. Open to the idea however.

I've considered Tikka, Ruger and Savage to get what I want- is there another manufacturer I should be looking at?
What you are asking you should maybe consider the AR-10 from PSA (in .308win). Can get one for around $600 plus whatever you pay for optics. Light in recoil, easy to change uppers to one chambered in 6.5cm or 243win. Semi-auto, range of mag capacity and accurate well enough, if not more, to 250-yards.
The Following User Says Thank You to JLW1974 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 10:13 PM
MAGA

Thanked 7,896 Times in 2,037 Posts

Quote:
why over complicate it just for the opportunity to use more expensive ammo?
Let's just focus on this for a minute.

After all the stupid crap you spout?
Your last thread about .32 caliber making it into the top10 all time dumbest crap I've ever read list.
The Following User Says Thank You to harbinger1972 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 03:15 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,471 Times in 519 Posts

I've never owned a tikka, but I've owned Savages, A Ruger GSR, and the weatherby Vanguard. The vanguard is very good quality and doesn't use a bunch of cheap plastic in questionable places - has a factory aluminum triggerguard and mag well. I wish it had some iron sights, but still... In a carbine version, I think it'd be pretty good. I plan to add one some day... Plan to add a Ruger 77 .308 too, but only because they're so damn pretty.
The Following User Says Thank You to goon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 02:53 PM
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxed in Maine View Post
I won't get my ass handed to me by a moron that thinks an x39 is a 500yd cartridge.
youre sure as hell going to get it to you when youre limited to 250.. and whats the matter? never pushed your rifle to the limits to understand what it could do and improve upon your own skills?.. perhaps we should all live our lives by retarded internet myths... though, much like the AK in the video provided, i doubt youre going to hit much past 300 without optics either

whats funny is you fudds and your bolt action huntn' rifles have scopes zeroed in at the distances you plan to shoot.. what? did you think somebody shooting at 500 with an AK isnt going to have access to a scope as well?
Old 06-21-2017, 02:58 PM
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger1972 View Post
Let's just focus on this for a minute.

After all the stupid crap you spout?
Your last thread about .32 caliber making it into the top10 all time dumbest crap I've ever read list.
you should spend more time on the 3 gun bugout thread then