anybody eat horse? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fat vs sugar in America ex-hunter General Discussion 62 06-15-2017 08:55 PM
The best thing I've found to eat and feel better That Dude There Health, Fitness and First Aid 31 06-12-2017 12:34 AM
Apologetix - Source With No Name [parody A Horse With No Name - America] Ian Treloar Religious Discussion 0 03-20-2017 02:15 PM
Question for Caballeros PaulKersey General Discussion 26 02-05-2017 06:32 PM
Reflections on French Toast or what to eat when cold out. MattB4 General Discussion 40 01-06-2017 09:46 PM

Old 06-19-2017, 12:52 PM
Ordinary Average Guy

Advertise Here

I know it makes a tasty dried sausage. Every time I travel to Switzerland (it's a work thing), I make sure I stop by the grocery and get all I can eat during my visit. Damn shame I can't bring it back.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to T-Rex For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 02:07 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,468 Times in 533 Posts

Anybody who ate at a McDonald's in the 60s has eaten horse meat. It was their go to meat when it was legal. The big lawsuit was one of the reasons horse meat is illegal in the US.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cowboypapa For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 03:10 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 5,239 Times in 1,584 Posts

If horse meat is common in your diet be sure to mention it to your doc if you require a TB skin test. Because the tuberculosis in the testing fluid is cultured in horses it will give you false test results and reactions with horse proteins in your body. The US military came across this in Korea when providing medical aid to the locals because horse was the most common meat source for them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:

Old 06-19-2017, 03:28 PM

Horse meat is fine.
Just like anything else, quality of meat is often determined by age, etc.
I think it is a shame you didn't just string up the mare and use the whole thing, instead of only using part of it.
The hides are really nice, tough and solid. Make good leather etc.
The meat is as good as most, better than some.
Definitely would not pass up on it.

I still don't understand why we don't eat more of it in this country. Politics most likely.
That an Liberals.

We will probably eat quite a bit more of it in the future, if you ask me.
re
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedElk For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 05:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,364 Times in 4,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Soldier View Post
Its commercially available in Canada but illegal to market in the US. Never tried it but I wouldn't hesitate if the opportunity presented itself.
Which is completely stupid. We've got a bunch of mamby-pambys who look at livestock (horses) like pets and they've somehow been allowed to make laws based on their over-dramatic little feelings.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Darwath For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 05:17 PM

Between horse and dog, hands down horse. I know have eaten both. JMHO peashooterJoe
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeashooterJoe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 08:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 34,995 Times in 11,795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedElk View Post
I think it is a shame you didn't just string up the mare and use the whole thing, instead of only using part of it..
re
1. Experiment, next time I will.
2. I had no freezer space, I'm having to turn 6lbs into jerkey as is.
3. I'm physically limited, and have been overdoing it lately. That about wiped me out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 11:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 34,995 Times in 11,795 Posts

Buddy and I were working on a project t tonight and I asked him if he was joking when he offered it.
He said no, he was serious because he knew I had eaten (in his words) "most other meat out there" but not horse.

He reminded me he'd eaten it (and liked it) while stationed in Italy and said if he'd of been home we would of lifted it up with the front end loader and processed much more.

I told him I'd taken all I had room for, and he offered me space in his freezer if I needed it.

We agreed to discuss getting a horse to process together later and selling rather than butchering more of our cows. (As horses can be had cheap to free)
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 12:06 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,196 Times in 779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Buddy and I were working on a project t tonight and I asked him if he was joking when he offered it.
He said no, he was serious because he knew I had eaten (in his words) "most other meat out there" but not horse.

He reminded me he'd eaten it (and liked it) while stationed in Italy and said if he'd of been home we would of lifted it up with the front end loader and processed much more.

I told him I'd taken all I had room for, and he offered me space in his freezer if I needed it.

We agreed to discuss getting a horse to process together later and selling rather than butchering more of our cows. (As horses can be had cheap to free)
That is an interesting of eating horse as a cheap alternative to getting inexpensive quality meat. I am going to guess horse meat is leaner, sort of like grass fed beef which is quite tasty, but tough.
While a butcher could not sell you horse meat, I guess maybe a vet could get you a fresh carcass.
Dogs are said to be very good eating, but I would certainly not want to eat mine. There are some that also like cats.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:59 AM
King of Canada

Thanked 5,926 Times in 1,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Soldier View Post
Its commercially available in Canada but illegal to market in the US. Never tried it but I wouldn't hesitate if the opportunity presented itself.
I haven't seen it for sale anywhere, otherwise I would have tried it!

Do you know where it is available?

Also, to the OP; good for you, not letting it go to waste.
The Following User Says Thank You to HeavyHauler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 01:13 AM
watcher

Thanked 6,096 Times in 1,339 Posts

I also think the OP did right not letting it go to waste . I have a harder time with the idea of eating the meat because I have had an epic 17 years with my stallion . I love that horse but will have to put him down as his teeth are worn down till he isn't able to chew and he is losing his sight and i cannot stand the thought of a predator scaring him into being hurt . I have been considering donating the carcass to the zoo also or maybe feeding my dog as that is a big 16.2 warmblood horse and a lot of clean meat fed the best feed money can buy and I 'd hate to see it wasted as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 02:09 AM
Hiker

Wow... only 17 and can't eat? My almost 40 yo spotted app still eats well. That's crazy.

NGH
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to no guns here For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 04:53 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,319 Times in 692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBlue View Post
If horse meat is common in your diet be sure to mention it to your doc if you require a TB skin test. Because the tuberculosis in the testing fluid is cultured in horses it will give you false test results and reactions with horse proteins in your body. The US military came across this in Korea when providing medical aid to the locals because horse was the most common meat source for them.
What a coincidence, I was watching some reruns of M.A.S.H last nite on TV; they were treating Korean kids with medicine that were not responding because their diet was high in horse meat. In this case it was Tetanus.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,577 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper View Post
I also think the OP did right not letting it go to waste . I have a harder time with the idea of eating the meat because I have had an epic 17 years with my stallion . I love that horse but will have to put him down as his teeth are worn down till he isn't able to chew and he is losing his sight and i cannot stand the thought of a predator scaring him into being hurt.
Just to get clarification, is the horse only 17, or is it an older horse that you've had for 17 years? A 17 year old horse is not old, and should not have severe teeth issues. They may need a float, but should not be worn to the point of him not being able to eat.

I've never eaten horse, but wouldn't hesitate if the opportunity presented itself.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tyusclan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 03:00 PM

old story- cowboy rides in to town, a lad comes up to him says mister whats your horses
name. cowboy says son you don't name something you may have to eat.
moral of story horses are great in a sthf transportation, work and if I had to eat
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c allen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 04:11 PM
watcher

My horse is 21, I have had him 17 years and I believe some of the veterinarians I paid to take care of the teeth were too ignorant and ground them down too much floating his teeth over the years . I could be wrong, he may simply have ground his teeth more than other horses being a stallion but not a habit I ever noticed him doing, neither grinding nor any form of cribbing . He does not need them floated, I got a horse dentist in and they verified they could do nothing ( and refused my money) because the teeth were rounded off to the gumline . So he has had this problem the last 6 years and is now fed fresh grass in season, but soaked hay, soaked hay cubes and mash but he has to cock his neck and head to even gum that and he is losing his sight now too. He has been the best horse a girl could have , an absolute horse of a lifetime .
Age 18 last year showing :
Age 20 , retired , jumped out of the pasture
Age 21 in retirement with a buddy :
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 05:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,464 Times in 6,469 Posts

I wouldn't hesitate to try it. I had a friend call and ask if I wanted some mountain lion meat which was fine by me until I found that it had been sitting for a day undressed in the sun. A local Chinese restaurant used to make the best "chicken" chow mien but they never had any stray cats hanging around the dumpster. I just called it Kitten chow mien.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:04 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,468 Times in 533 Posts

Think I had just about everything including horse when I was in the PI.
A little side info on teeth. A few years back the head of the equine dental department at UC Davis told me that most horses have their teeth floated too much. He says the majority of horses shouldn't have their teeth floated more than once every 5 years. He also said that horses should be fed on the ground unless they're stalled on a sand floor. The dirt helps keep their teeth floated and it's the natural eating position. In 45 years I've had 30 mustangs and I've never owned a horse feeder and I've never had a horses teeth floated. Theyre all fat and happy. Didnt mean to hijack the thread.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cowboypapa For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 01:32 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 13,826 Times in 3,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Buddy's horse was struck by lightning. I skinned out a chunk of hide to tan and while I was there cut out a tenderloin, brisket, couple steaks and roasts.
I think you'd have to blindfold me. If I didn't know the horse and didn't know maybe.. I agree with Hilltopper.

It's probably because around here people don't talk about eating horse. They make faces if you talk about eating squirrel or rabbit. There's people that do, just not as many as in other areas of the Country.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:41 PM
watcher

I would jump at the chance to try horse meat , or even other kinds, I am just squeamish about eating my own horse I have had a deep attachment to for so long . I just feel bad about wasting the meat from my horse because he will eventually have to be put down to save him from hardship so I am considering options like having him processed to feed my dog . Dog food is bloody expensive .