Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Obamacare MERGE Thread. All others merged here. RECTIFIER General Discussion 2284 05-08-2017 02:07 AM
New AK sales just got halted by the government...OFFICIAL MERGE THREAD Steverino Military Weapons Forum 159 08-02-2014 12:18 PM
EBT down-OFFICIAL MERGE THREAD! ALL EBT THREADS MERGED HERE Glock755 General Discussion 448 11-11-2013 01:21 AM
merge thread request Absolutely! Site Information & Suggestion Box 12 08-21-2013 10:10 PM
IL gun ban MERGE THREAD. Discuss IL gun ban here wtr100 Firearms General Discussion 190 01-07-2013 09:53 AM

Old 06-18-2017, 10:57 AM
Awaiting ***** suspension

Thanked 13,700 Times in 4,715 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkeater View Post
I stand by my statement. its TEOTWAWKI if that thing blows.
an opinion can be wrong... if it's fact-based and based on absolutely nothing. You can keep posting fear, but without a link to someone credible, you're wasting your time here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LordOpie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
Growing season shift will be for only a year or two depending on how long the eruption lasts, only effect the northern hemisphere, and only move North American growing seasons by a couple zones at most. So you'll need to be able to plant corn or wheat in Georgia for a couple years because your peaches are not going to be productive.
in addition to that, some places on the planet will actually have improved farming due to the ash landing in their soil.
The Following User Says Thank You to LordOpie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
that's a very good link and very instructive, but doesn't remotely hint at yellowstone being a teotwawki.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
Mount St. Helens ash was largely chemically inert. Breathing it irritated your throat and lungs, so you didn't want to go out and run around in it (although many joggers did, with masks and handkerchiefs over their mouths), but it wouldn't kill you. Add sulfur and other compounds to the mix, that might change.

The ash also irritated the eyes to no small degree. And it filtered into most houses, so you were getting constant low level exposure for months.

It was cars and trucks that had the most problems. This stuff didn't burn in engines, but it would cake like talc powder, so it got in air intakes and just sat and accumulated until engines wouldn't run. You had to clean out your carburetors almost every time your drove any long distance if you wanted your car to keep running. Lord knows what volcanic ash would do to modern engines.
this is a good post for people living south of I-40, east of the mississippi, and the west coast for a yellowstone eruption... as Hick Industries posted earlier... if you can evacuate, those are your destinations.

Life will be very difficult for everyone inside that zone (like me in Denver), but I think Moccasin's post can be useful for those outside the zone... if you're dumb outside the zone, you can ruin your life, but if the east coast grid stays up, it'll be easily survivable and like Mt. St. Helens.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:12 AM
You talkin' to me?

Thanked 25,864 Times in 6,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
Mount St. Helens ash was largely chemically inert. Breathing it irritated your throat and lungs, so you didn't want to go out and run around in it (although many joggers did, with masks and handkerchiefs over their mouths), but it wouldn't kill you. Add sulfur and other compounds to the mix, that might change.

The ash also irritated the eyes to no small degree. And it filtered into most houses, so you were getting constant low level exposure for months.

It was cars and trucks that had the most problems. This stuff didn't burn in engines, but it would cake like talc powder, so it got in air intakes and just sat and accumulated until engines wouldn't run. You had to clean out your carburetors almost every time your drove any long distance if you wanted your car to keep running. Lord knows what volcanic ash would do to modern engines.
I was stationed at Ft Lewis when Mt St Helens popped. We had a Mechanized Brigade over in Yakima on a training excersize, the ash destroyed the bearings in the track drive systems and basically paralyzed them in place. Volcanic ash is no joke.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Old Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 11:14 AM
FBHO

Thanked 1,907 Times in 686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOpie View Post
that's a very good link and very instructive, but doesn't remotely hint at yellowstone being a teotwawki.
it was tiny compared to what a lvl 8 yellowstone would be. The only thing I overstated was the 1000 years of winter.
would probably be a mini ice age in the 100 year category.
who knows?

it would wreck the USA and global economy. The U.S. supposedly has relocation plans and agreements with warmer countrys ( I heard it before, but zero hedge references it too)

think what you will. no matter to me, imo if it goes off life as we know it is over, mass evacuations, food shortages, and the economy is toast. cheers.

It really doesn't matter to me, I'm as ready for it as I'll ever be, spiritually, and physically.

Its one of those things, it isn't that likely. 10% chance in the next century? nothing you can do short of relocate to Alaska, Australia, or the southern tip of South America. If you think your 3m dusk mask is cool, and Denver will still be there, hey cool. I hope it works.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
it was tiny compared to what a lvl 8 yellowstone would be. The only thing I overstated was the 1000 years of winter.
who knows?

it would wreck the USA and global economy. The U.S. supposedly has relocation plans and agreements with warmer countrys ( I heard it before, but zero hedge references it too)

think what you will. no matter to me, imo if it goes off life as we know it is over, mass evacuations, food shortages, and the economy is toast. cheers.

It really doesn't matter to me, I'm as ready for it as I'll ever be, spiritually, and physically.

Its one of those things, it isn't that likely. 10% chance in the next century? nothing you can do short of relocate to Alaska, Australia, or the southern tip of South America. If you think your 3m dusk mask is cool, and Denver will still be there, hey cool. I hope it works.

you're very special.

do you ignore info in other parts of your life?

for EVERYONE ELSE... there is plenty of info on the internet that states this guy is absolutely wrong. There is no info that backs up his "statements". Feel free to ignore this guy.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:00 PM
FBHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOpie View Post
you're very special.

do you ignore info in other parts of your life?

for EVERYONE ELSE... there is plenty of info on the internet that states this guy is absolutely wrong. There is no info that backs up his "statements". Feel free to ignore this guy.

*looks around for ignore button to cure my "lord" opie problem... hmm I'll have to sub again if I want it. too bad, you clutter my screen.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:14 PM
FBHO

http://www.airspacemag.com/daily-pla...ano-180949435/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory

Just about wiped out humanity. stock up on your 3m dust masks while you can.

maybe get a broom to sweep the ash off of your roof before it collapses. Oh, and 10 years of food, 87 cases of .556 ....
Old 06-18-2017, 12:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,645 Posts

Quote:
who knows?

So what? Any survivalist worth his salt (do you even store salt?) should assume the eruption will happen and act accordingly. As the other 188 scenarios.
The Following User Says Thank You to GG42 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 04:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,999 Times in 2,379 Posts

My Yellowstone plans are the same as my hurricane plan.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Big-D For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 02:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,625 Times in 1,700 Posts

This thread is closing in on 7 years old. There certainly have been a lot of swarms since September 2010 when the first post was made.

It could be anywhere from a popcorn fart to burying a third of the continent in differing levels of ash.

Personally, I think we will see action on the faults in Cali before Yellowstone goes.
***No science to back that up. Just a gut feeling.

Seven years of "Oh crap, we're all going to die" tires a person out. Plan, pay attention, and go about your life.

The texting teenager in the next lane is probably going to take you out long before Yellowstone goes supernova.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LostViking For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_baker View Post
Would I still be affected on the west coast? How much? Would I have any chance of survival or if so, how long would I have?
No, look at the way the jet stream works. Typically comes in at the Bay Area, or just above north to south Oregon, and pushes everything north and east and then south through TX and then up through the northeast. One occasion, the rare exception, where CA might be one of the safer places to be -- until things inevitably turn bad economically and with scarce resources to go around. That, and with no checks and balances from a pre-occupied midwest and south, and likely central gov't, CA politicians would like further increase their tyrannical posture.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:52 PM
Don't Cross Me

Thanked 28,597 Times in 8,340 Posts
Default Yellowstone SuperVolcano Hit By Over 230 Earthquakes In 1 Week.

Don't know if this has been posted yet or not, haven't seen anything that has triggered my brain so here this is.

If anyone lives close to there be careful and be ready to bug out.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/yellowsto...155545896.html
No Artificial Colors Or Preservatives

http://www.thrivelife.com/shop

Disable Prepper's Group: A private group, invite only, For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, have family members who are disabled or just have physical and mental limitations.

If you would like to join but don't want to post in the thread send me a private message for an invite. Must have at least 10 posts to join.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...522&highlight=
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 02:56 PM
covfefe+maga=supernova

Thanked 6,355 Times in 1,867 Posts

Doesn't really matter if you're near...the entire country is dunzo if it drops the boom.

The breadbasket of the world will close up shop for a while.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:59 PM
Totally grumpin'

Thanked 53,953 Times in 12,636 Posts

I don't know how there would be much bugging out if it really blew. After witnessing firsthand the freeway gridlock of the Hurricane Rita evacuation hysteria of 2005, I would have zero hope that anyone would be able to bug out anywhere that would do any good. And with Rita, there were a few days notice, too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TxHannah For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHannah View Post
I don't know how there would be much bugging out if it really blew. After witnessing firsthand the freeway gridlock of the Hurricane Rita evacuation hysteria of 2005, I would have zero hope that anyone would be able to bug out anywhere that would do any good. And with Rita, there were a few days notice, too.
since no sheep will really believe it will blow or if it does that it would be a big deal. so, if I think it's going to blow, I suspect that I can get to Texas (from Denver) before most people even think of getting on the road.

One clue to bug-out is when the gov says "everything is fine"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LordOpie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 03:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,429 Posts

Reminds me of Tom hanks in money pit, bath tub falls thru floor, reminds me of all the global warming clowns.........

Here's your climate change dummy!
Old 06-20-2017, 03:29 PM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 18,211 Times in 4,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp frog View Post
Doesn't really matter if you're near...the entire country is dunzo if it drops the boom.

The breadbasket of the world will close up shop for a while.
False. This just simply isn't true. If you're in the rockies you're going to be buried in ash, but the rest of the country will be generally fine. Some crop damage may occur if the eruption happens at the wrong time of year and we may lose 1 growing season or have to shift local crop varieties for a year or two. A couple inches of ash will simply wash away with the next rain (and the ash itself will trigger more rain anywhere that's not a desert) and that's what most of the grain growing areas will see. Even Denver should only see about 6 inches, which is entirely survivable with appropriate precautions and planning. It'll just wreck the river systems though and it will take a while before the aquatic river life recovers. But we can survive without those.

It'll be bad, and it'll be catastrophic for that region, but the world will hardly notice at all and the rest of the US will survive just fine. It'll just be dealing with a refugee crisis.

Roughly 1 inch for every 25mm.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 03:43 PM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 18,211 Times in 4,599 Posts

Quote:
http://www.airspacemag.com/daily-pla...ano-180949435/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory

Just about wiped out humanity. stock up on your 3m dust masks while you can.

maybe get a broom to sweep the ash off of your roof before it collapses. Oh, and 10 years of food, 87 cases of .556 ....
Toba is a fault line volcano with exceptionally dirty (sulfur rich) magma. It has a disproportionately large cooling effect. Yellowstone is a mantle plume hotspot with exceptionally clean (sulfur poor) magma. It has a disproportionately small cooling effect.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post: