The hand cannon - why not more popular? - Page 5 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Many of Today's Most Popular Guns Were Yesterday's Most Popular Guns Glocksrfugly Firearms General Discussion 19 09-06-2014 06:52 PM
Many of Today's Most Popular Guns Were Yesterday's Most Popular Guns Glocksrfugly Firearms General Discussion 6 09-06-2014 09:46 AM
Magazines - Popular Science - Popular Mechanics bas42 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 04-15-2014 10:43 AM
piston cannon orry Black powder 21 06-04-2013 03:52 PM
Cannon Fodder querulous General Discussion 1 01-23-2013 05:33 PM
700 WTF Rifle, Hand Cannon Fasha Rifle Forum 0 12-30-2011 09:27 PM
Smallest BP Cannon Jungleboy General Discussion 1 09-05-2011 08:34 PM
My New Cannon. Jungleboy Firearms General Discussion 1 08-09-2011 04:31 PM
Cannon for sale tonytz Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 01-08-2010 04:45 PM
New File Added: FM 21-150 US Army Hand-to-Hand Combat Training TcCoVeN Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 05-28-2009 07:08 PM

Old 10-02-2016, 02:58 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 28,341 Times in 9,359 Posts

Advertise Here

how are you going to turn the cylinder, hand index or hammer spur?
Old 10-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 142,725 Times in 42,102 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunes View Post
I have though about just getting a cap and ball revolver, but the biggest issue seems to be stray bullets.

I wan't to be able to have the weapon loaded, but in a safe way. I could skip putting on the caps of course, bet when i need to shoot with it, it won't be any time to put them on.

Is there any safety option avaible, that would ensure there won't be any stray bullets?

Another thing, the most cylinders just take 6 shots, is there cylinders with over 8 shot that fit these revolvers? And would it be possible to have a extra loaded cylinder to put in the revolver just like a new magazine, when the first cylinder is empty? And how long time would that process take?
Many of the cap and ball revolvers let you stop the cylinder between chambers so that there is not a cap underneath the hammer. And you can get replacement cylinders to keep loaded. That was actually common back in the day. Check out trackofthewolf.com or dixiegunworks.com to see some examples of what's out there.

You're never going to have the capacity and speed of reloading that you'd get with a modern semi automatic, or even with a modern cartridge revolver and speed loaders. But it's still a viable choice, even within its limitations.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2016, 05:00 PM
Venomous Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderBob View Post
Nope, they had attorneys, and the police didn't define the law, the States Attorney general did.

They have been trying to get it changed, but it stands, and Arkansas does not exempt pre 1898 "antiques", as many/most states do by the definition:

"This statute, commonly referred to as the “felon in possession” statute, prohibits the possession of “firearms” by convicted felons. The term “firearm” is not defined in the applicable subchapter, but is defined for purposes of the entire Criminal Code at A.C.A. § 5-1-102(6) (Supp. 2003) as follows:

"Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or any device readily convertible to that use, including such a device that is not loaded or lacks a clip or other component to render it immediately operable, and components that can readily be assembled into such a device. . . .

This definition does not exclude antique firearms. One of my predecessors therefore concluded that a muzzle-loading weapon was a “firearm” for purposes of this statute. See Op. Att’y. Gen. 95-275.
By this definition a roman candle is a firearm.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:32 AM
Lunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin X View Post
how are you going to turn the cylinder, hand index or hammer spur?
I think i would just turn it by hand, for the simpleness of construction, but it could be upgraded to some hammer mechanism to, or other kind of mechanism which would make it spin around by itself.

I have though a while about the project, and came up with some new ideas.

Since the steel cylinder in my app has to be spinned anyway, and it isn't really "primitive" to make one, i belive i will go for something more simple.

This is my idea: http://m.imgur.com/WtUYeY5

Instead of the cylinder, you will just need a classic cannon (pipe with touch hole and bottom), and loaded paper cartridges (which wont burn up).

I took a pipe and made some paper cartridges that fit thight in the pipe, and it doesn't took long time to put in and out the cartridges from the short barrel.

In order to make it work even better/faster, it should be a slide and a "cap" on the main cannon that catch the cartridge, so you could just put it straight in, without having a hard time hitting the hole..

It's a much easier construction, which requires less and also could be made more compact, with some practice and a good magazine, slide and cap, i belive it could be reloaded very fast. So i think i go for that one instead.

But feel free to give thoughts.

Another idea i came up with, even more primitive and homemade, is a kind of volley gun made of paper. I know it sounds crazy.

I came by this clip and a few other: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=URfPsjghmE8

And i start thinking of how that concept could be made more usefull.

I came up with this: http://m.imgur.com/HxQQcfO

It's simple loaded paper cannons, as a volley gun, and a handle with a length about 2 feet.

The gun won't be that reliable, so if a cannon do explode, the long handle will save your hand from the explosion and hot gasses. In my example i would just use something with a power as a .22 long, for a bigger caliber/more powder you maybe should make the handle longer.

I find paper to be a good material choice, because it doesn't make fragments. If you make this gun of some weak metal, the fragments of it when it explode could kill you, and the handle won't save you from the fragments, so just use materials which doesn't make such fragments. You can find paper everywhere and it's easy to work with, so i believe paper will be just fine for this one.

Maybe you could find complete barrels like these: https://weststrate.nl/media/Producte...9/VNKY4139.JPG then you would just need to plug it in the bottom, and drill a touch hole.

In order to make the gun compact, the handle should be like a telescopic baton which you could just pull out when you wan't to fire it.

I think it could be a really simple option for home defence, and maybe some other self defence situations too.

Feel free to give your thoughts about this subject also.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:59 AM
Jack of Deplorable Trades

Thanked 6,198 Times in 2,300 Posts

Does the Darwin Award Foundation have a validation team on standby?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2016, 10:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,787 Times in 4,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Does the Darwin Award Foundation have a validation team on standby?
Good question, In all seriousness I believe they rely on the press/ media account.

Apparently there is no " validation as in investigative comfirmation
But there is this so get pictures but follow the rules.
" Ready to make your Nominee famous?
Write it up! Even better than an exact copy of the news report! The creative reader is encouraged to take a stab (heh heh) at writing the story in faultless wry prose. Roll up your sleeves, warm a beverage, and spend time describing the nomination.

Your insights help me write a better story. And Slush Pile readers especially appreciate submissions that are rewritten to highlight the evolutionary aspect.

Extract relevant details from the source (and your memory) and explain the circumstances in full Darwinian glory. A man may fall into a pit of raw sewage, but it's up to you to point out that he was juggling beers on a catwalk over the tank.

Once your nomination is submitted, it will be reviewed by a panel of volunteer moderators who will either promote it to the Slush Pile or explain why they didn't. Once it's in the Slush Pile, its popularity is gauged by reader votes. Eventually I winnow out the "fittest" Slush Pile contributions to write into Darwin Awards and add to the permanent archive."

http://darwinawards.com/slush/submit_story.html

Last edited by swamppapa; 10-05-2016 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: More info
Old 02-16-2017, 11:15 AM

I haven't been on survival type forums long, mostly been on gun forums since about 1998. You guys sure get a lot more whackjobs is all I can say.
The Following User Says Thank You to sixtus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 11:37 AM
Unrepentant Deplorable

Thanked 11,761 Times in 3,385 Posts

Don't need a fuse for this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY1RQSEBQc8

Commercially made in the US and under $300...