Survivalist Forum banner

Should "under God" be kept in the pledge?

• Yes, keep it

Votes: 601 76.3%
  • No, take it out

Votes: 155 19.7%
  • Undecided, indifferent, or don't want to say

Votes: 32 4.1%

Should we keep "under god" in the pledge?

Tags
plegde god
101K views 740 replies 146 participants last post by  NorthWolfeCND 
#1 ·
Should we? Either side could be argued. It offends athiests and it was added in the fifties, so it really isn't that historical, so I don't see why it is still in. Can someone give me some points for the other side, too?

(I don't want to shove any of my ideas down anybody's throats, sorry if it sort of seems I am).

#2 ·
Why Take it out?

It dosen't violate the US Constitution any more than "In God We Trust" on our currency does. Acknowliging a creator is not the same as "making a law regarding the establishment of religion or the free exercise thereof"

Who cares if the .05% of people who are atheist are offended? There is no protections from being offended.

The vast Majority of Americans like it in the Pledge. What better reason to keep it?

#18 ·
that's not the point. It's about everyone using God on the money & God in the pledge of allegiance as "proof" that this is a Christian nation, somehow founded on Christian principles, because it's not.
Truthfully, the "under God" bit is pure propaganda and has nothing to do with national allegiance, not one thing. & it doesn't really allow for religious freedom as recognized by Atheists, Agnostics, and many Buddhists.

If you say God, it's obvious pandering to Christians who don't have anything better to call their god than "God", it has no regard for polytheists and many others. Just taking it out offends no one as it wasn't there to begin with and really has nothing to do with nationalism or national allegiance.

#8 ·
I say keep it on principle, people who get offended need to just grow up to be honest.

Too many people are just too soft skinned. Religion is always going to exist, and hate to break it to whole Richard Dawkins/Christopher Hitchens scene, but sorry no it isn't the ultimate evil in the world holding back humanity.

A good fraction of all the nations on the earth, played out to whole "let's make everyone into an atheist and/or take all mention of religion out of the public by force" ordeal.

Needless to say not a single one of them created any noteworthy, amazing paradise on earth with it. So strongarm atheism isn't the ultimate answer to anything no more than the dark ages were either imo.

How do I say this...

It's a lot more sensible and practical to me, for an elective positive metaphysical position, which is a part of who some people are, (like a person's religious/metaphysical faith), to be voluntarily and allowably displayed publicly, and then in turn tolerated in a mature manner healthy to liberty by those who differ...

than for a negative stance (lack of a religious faith/atheistic viewpoint) to be forcefully imposed on all people on the basis of disagreement, or imcho, a bit irrational fear that their right to believe as they personally choose will be somehow be threatened through it.

#15 ·
I honestly dont care if it stays in or comes out when I say the pledge I say one nation Under God if you dont belive in God then leave it out but dont make a big show of it

Just say your pledge to the flag and be on with it ..there are to many people out there that get a kick out of not saying under God and thinking there some kind of crazy rebel

they are the ones who make it a big deal the same as people who say under God and make it a big deal

its a two way street
so like I said say the pledge mean it when you say it no matter how you say it and its all the same

#16 ·
Oh yeah also it says God wich is a title it dosent say wich God I know a personwho says Goddes they still love America they just have a diffrent belife than do and thats what makes this ****ry great is that we arnt all forced into beliving the same thing

Like North Korea where if you dont love Kim ( Im a tiny nutball) Jong Il they will re-educate you

#17 ·
It's a very, very easy fix: One nation, under god(s). There, problem solved. We are all nice and politically correct now. If you toss out the pledge of allegiance, the bill of rights would be next, because some yuppie douche bag will take offense to something in there as well. Then the constitution. It says "In God We Trust" on all of our money too. Uh Oh! We might offend some Muslims or some atheists with that! Better change that too. These kinds of topics make me sick.
Why not just renounce your freedom completely and let anyone who can swim, run, or jump over our borders tell us what to do?
You know, I think I just came up with an even better solution while typing this: If you don't like our pledge, or our use of the word "God" on our money and documents, then GET THE **** OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And go start your own country!!!!!

#20 ·
Keep in mind that I am not a Christian...

"I pledge lawful compliance, for the most part, where it does not offend anyone else, to the (insert country name here). Not to old fashioned symbolism or religious icons."

There that should do it for those who wish to leave the US and start their own country.

Some food for thought.
How great must this country be when we are well fed and sheltered enough that childish bickering over words is so prevailent. Some folks in the world have to worry about taking a bullet in the head from the "faction du jour".

Still others have to worry about getting the crops in so that they can keep from starving to death in the off season.

We have the horror of a Christian sounding phrase popping up here and there, and several Christian looking icons on walls and doors in our nation's capitol. My God man, how do we survive?

#22 ·
I voted indifferent.

But, I'd prefer we took god out.

Except most people need their gods to get through life.

As life gets tougher on us, many will need the hope of everlasting happiness to comfort them from hard times and loss of their loved ones.

A few years ago I read an article in the Wall Street Journal about a con man Charles Ponzi. He was credited with inventing the first pyramid scheme.

The article stated when Ponzi was interviewed he was asked how he was able to swindle so many people so easily, his responded, "When a man's mind is concentrated he is blind."

Religion does a good job in blinding people.

In addition, I think a lot of people have no 'inner peace god' to guide them in life. Without the threat of damnation in hell, who knows how bad they would be? So, religion is also a set of prepackaged morals.

For the non believers...they must be in tune with their actions as inner peace promoting or destroying in nature.

#29 ·
Actually it guarantees that the gubermunt won't start a religion. People get all excited by various religious articles or statements; I guess because they don't have anything better to do.

If we followed the logic to the extreme then no gubermunt employee or elected official should be hired or be allowed to serve. They could bring their religion into their job, and we can't have that.

#56 ·
Let me just quote Eisenhower here in one of our countries darkest moments...

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have
striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The
hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you.
In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on
other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war
machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of
Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well
equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of
1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats,
in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their
strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home
Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions
of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men.
The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to
Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in
battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great
and noble undertaking.

SIGNED: Dwight D. Eisenhower
This man went on to be our president, and was tasked with protecting American freedom when it was at danger most. He had hundreds of thousands of men who heard this.... How many of them do you think were offended?

I dont know how old you are, but im willing to bet that your grandpa/dad wasn't offended when he heard this....

#62 ·
How cute. The church at it again with their religious diatribe of attempted slavery. Pass me another virgin. Don't even get me started with flag waving nonsense. not a chance in hades. This is competition based upon religion and it will not stand. Never will all people stand under one god- I could care less what the pledge of anything is. That's just some childlike bedtime tale for kiddies fighting over land or fighting over the perceived value of such land.

#63 ·
It is a pain to preface every post with this, but:
I am not a Christian, nor do I follow an organized religion.

Slavery?
Flag waving nonsense? Competition?

"Never will all people stand under one God."
Ah, that makes sense; I was getting worried.

So are you saying that land has no value? How so?
-also-
Do you think people in the US were better off, generally speaking, in the 1950s than they are now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.