Survivalist Forum banner

Should "under God" be kept in the pledge?

• Yes, keep it

Votes: 601 76.3%
  • No, take it out

Votes: 155 19.7%
  • Undecided, indifferent, or don't want to say

Votes: 32 4.1%

Should we keep "under god" in the pledge?

Tags
plegde god
101K views 740 replies 146 participants last post by  NorthWolfeCND 
#1 ·
Should we? Either side could be argued. It offends athiests and it was added in the fifties, so it really isn't that historical, so I don't see why it is still in. Can someone give me some points for the other side, too?

(I don't want to shove any of my ideas down anybody's throats, sorry if it sort of seems I am).

#544 ·
Keep it in. I must say though that by what I see around me every day America is not a Christian nation anymore.

For the record though, the first amendment does not mean that the government is to be strictly secular. It was put in the constitution to assure six of the thirteen states that their own official STATE SUPPORTED churches would not infringed upon by the federal government.

#546 ·
I watched the change in the school's stance on it while i was in school....

Around 8th grade, we just stopped saying it all together because it offended the liberal athiest progressive tool (who is also a ginger, go figure, kid has nothing going for him) and his mom was the county lawyer.

Go figure.

#547 ·
I don't really care either way. But I support the constitution, and it provides freedom from religion. So yes..... it should be removed, although It wouldn't affect me that much because I never recite the pledge. I don't see a point in doing it. I can love my the ideals that founded this nation without talking to a piece of floating fabric. (although if you choose to do the pledge, that's great and more power to you!)

#552 ·
YES

Unlike other nations, we were founded on the principles of Chrsitanity. Our fore fathers were believers as long as our govt. was not ruled by the church.

In this day, the idiots who believe in seperation of church and state really have no idea what they are talking about.

This has been misconscrewed. The reason that was a thought of theirs was so no nation would be ruled, by a church, such as that of the church of england, roman catholic, muslim, etc.

When our nation ceases to recognize a Christian God, Our nation wil die and you can see this happening now.

The further we get from God, the more evil our country becomes.

#553 ·
Unlike other nations, we were founded on the principles of Chrsitanity. Our fore fathers were believers as long as our govt. was not ruled by the church.

In this day, the idiots who believe in seperation of church and state really have no idea what they are talking about.

This has been misconscrewed. The reason that was a thought of theirs was so no nation would be ruled, by a church, such as that of the church of england, roman catholic, muslim, etc.

When our nation ceases to recognize a Christian God, Our nation wil die and you can see this happening now.

The further we get from God, the more evil our country becomes.
You are wrong about the founders. They wanted you to believe as you wish, but did not support in any way a christian nation.

When ratification of the Constitution was being considered by the states, Madison explained: "There is not a shadow of right in the general government to inter-meddle with religion. Its least interference with it would be a most flagrant usurpation."

At the ratifying conventions, however, demands were made that this lack of power be made explicit in the Constitution by a specific guarantee of religious freedom. Madison agreed to have the requested protection added to the document.

With Madison leading the process, Congress placed the guarantee in the First Amendment. In doing so, it rejected early drafts that protected against only the establishment of a national church. Those drafts would have allowed nonpreferential governmental aid for religion.

Consistent with the Constitutional Convention's decision to deny the government any power to deal with religion, the language adopted for the First Amendment bans not just a national church. Instead, it prohibits any laws "respecting" an establishment of religion. Church-state scholar John Swomley explains that the word "respecting" meant then, as it does now, concerning, touching upon, in relation to, or with regard to.

The government has no right touching upon religion in any way. What Eisenhower did by adding "under god" in the pledge was unconstitutional.

#566 ·
If disgruntled garbage doesn't like the way the United States was tailored in its Christian design then they need to get the hell out of our country. None of us ever asked them to live here. You don't see me emigrating to other countries in the world telling people they have to change for me. Amazing how some people think they are so special that everyone has to change for them.

#585 ·
under god was not always in the pledge, see - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_Allegiance

it used to say "one nation, indivisible" wich certainly made more sense considering the fact that the native american indians where NOT christians and worshiped NO GOD.

i think the big deal about it now days is due to the large influx of muslims migrating into the U.S. so the christians want to make it clear that this is their land, period.

do i agree with it? yes and no.

i had rather it be a christian nation than a muslim nation, but i think trying to pretend that somehow the indians didnt exist and that the U.S. was always christian land is very disrespectful to the indenous indians.

just my opinion.

#586 ·
You are placing too much meaning to the 2 words in the pledge "under God" acknowleging we are one nation under God dosent specify any specific religion or denomination it acknowleges there is a God.....what religion or denomination dosent even come into it.

If you are an American Indian God means the great spirit.
If you are Christian God means the holy trinity.
If you are Jewish God mean the God of Abraham and Moses.
If you are Islamic God means Allah.
If you are Buddihist God means Buddah.

God is a generic word that applies to many faiths and religions all our pledge does is acknoglege that the nation is not above God (whoever God is to YOU).

#596 ·
When we were reciting the pledge in school during the early 1950s, there was no "under god" in the wording. Ike put that line in there sometime I think around 1953 or 1954. We seem to have made it through WW2 okay and a lot more without those words. Now there's some self proclaimed Atheist provocateurs stirring up the muck and pulling the chains of the righteous believers.

Thing is . . .in the general scheme of things the whole issue is meaningless. The Atheist types get pumped up because the controversy makes them think that they're actually important and their distorted viewpoint counts for something. If people like,, why not have the kids soliloquize the Hail Mary every morning like they do in Catholic school? That should make the holy rollers happy and drive the Atheists totally nuts.

#597 ·
i would say that having the "god" phrase in there brings some conotations that are not conducive to one of our major tenants... absolute freedom of religion. if we want to practice what we preach (and have written down), it can come out. i think that it is somewhat unnecessary and hypocritical.... religion in general also goes against the next line of being indivisible... check out the religious section and you will definitely find some divisions amongst countrymen.

#615 ·
Forcing children to recite the pledge under threat of expulsion violates their right to free speech. And probably worse than that it seems an awful lot like something Comunists would do.

Children should not dictate what they learn, nor should they do as they please but this is not Mother Russia Comrade.
A) Children DO NOT have first amendment rights. They are children
B) I'd take it one step farther ANYONE who does not, can not Pledge Allegiance to this country in English can get the F out. So sick of all the entitlement parasites whose entire being is based upon their own selfish self centered self interests that think citizenship is all about them and what they can take. With no concept of LOYALTY, HONOR, DUTY, OBLIGATION, SERVICE and SELF SACRIFICE. Being a free country does not mean a free ride. Freedom has a price pay up or get out.

#618 ·
A) Children DO NOT have first amendment rights. They are children
B) I'd take it one step farther ANYONE who does not, can not Pledge Allegiance to this country in English can get the F out. So sick of all the entitlement parasites whose entire being is based upon their own selfish self centered self interests that think citizenship is all about them and what they can take. With no concept of LOYALTY, HONOR, DUTY, OBLIGATION, SERVICE and SELF SACRIFICE. Being a free country does not mean a free ride. Freedom has a price pay up or get out.
Children have no 1st Ammendment rights? Really? Then I can assume you would have no problem with school kids being denied the right to say a prayer to themselves before a meal? Or wear a religious symbol? I mean, no rights so......

I don't like parasites either but saying "under God" has no bearing on the entitlement complex that we have in the U.S. I get the impression that you think I'm some entitled liberal that expects everything and contributes nothing but I assure you that is not the case. But I'll be damned if anyone forces my children to make any reference to a religion that they may not follow, nor would I expect anyone else's children to be denied that right. You seem to care an awful lot about the rights of those that you agree with, I support the rights of everyone, even yours.

#600 ·
You guys talking about tradition and political correctness could benefit from a bit of history, or more likely just think about what you're saying for a minute. Traditionally "Under God" wasn't part of the pledge and it was only added because it was Politicaly Correct in the 1950's.

But I still say leave it alone. I said it every day growing up and it didn't force me to believe anything. And if my kids are ever uncomfortable they can just leave those parts out.

#603 ·
I am not a Christian and do find the inflexibility and lack of respect for any possibility of there being any other possibility than the Christian God and Jesus disgusting.

Religious nutjobs burned people at the stake in Salem.

I pledge no allegiance to their God, but I will pledge to the flag and nation.

Reactions: mefunkymxw
#607 ·
I pledge no allegiance to their God, but I will pledge to the flag and nation.
To be clear the Pledge Of Allegiance is

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty, and justice for all.
There is no pledge of allegiance to anyone's God. It simply acknowledges the fact that
We are one nation
A nation under God
An undivided nation
A nation that offers liberty and justice for all

#608 ·
I find talk of changing the pledge and even the National Anthem beyond sad. These traditions bind us together as a common people in America. It baffles me that all of a sudden the pledge, God on our currency, and Christmas trees in schools are controversial. Hell, even flying the American flag has become a huge issue in some communities. These basic and common things have helped hold us together as a people for decade after decade. No wonder we are falling apart as a Nation.....heck, we are falling apart as a people. We can't even agree on being American any more. Going around the world apologizing for all the evil we have done, and now even ashamed of our pledge of allegiance. I am not sure how long a nation like this should stand to tell you the truth.....sad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.