Survivalist Forum banner

New Baofeng BF-F9 hand held ham radio. (Pictures)

29K views 52 replies 24 participants last post by  hank scorpio 
#1 ·
Just bought a few of these new Baofeng's today for $42 apiece at a local store and so far they seem great. Most Baofengs are all the same but with a different case and I'm sure that's the case here also.
This radio is shown with optional Nagoya antenna ($8.99) and extended battery ($14.00). The larger battery makes it more comfortable to hold. Even woman prefer this model to other Baofeng's.
after I have used these a few days I will repot back on them.
My other Baofengs are the GT-3 model.

See less See more
#7 ·
Looks like Baofeng simply repackaged the UV-5R, they've done it several times. They repackage it so the users have to purchase new batteries, new earphones, new chargers, etc. I'd like to see them come out with a decent submersible 2 meter radio, and a multimode 2 meter rig too.

#14 ·
For the submersible part they would send you a plastic bag and add 10 cents to the price.
I have several on the UV5r models(disposable and loaners), Also a couple of the UV82X models( the 2m/220 version) they do feel much better in my hand, and the 0 is in the right place. I still use my Kenwood TH-F6A as go to HH though.
The multimode WOULD be nice, especially if VERY cheap, but quality is a good thing in my opinion.

#10 ·
Here's a quote from an Ebay ad for a BF-F9 battery case, looks like the UV-5R and BF-F9 take the same battery.

Baofeng: UV-5R UV-5RA UV-5RB UV-5RC UV-5RD UV-5RE BF-F8, BF-F9
All use same battery.

Reactions: Gardog
#13 ·
This is not entirely true. If you check out the reviews for these radios on Amazon youll find that you have to grind and sand some material off the back of any UV-5R variant that isnt the original UV-5R to get the high cap batteries to fit. Also some other accessories just dont work at all IIRC, I just cant remember which ones.

#12 ·
I use a programming cable and Chirp, So its as easy as pie for me.
I own many different Ham radios and I own programming cables for all them, Why program by hand when you can use a computer?
And before its said, "Yes I do know how to program them by hand".
To me though programming by hand is like using pen and paper to do math when a calculator is right beside you.

#17 ·
Newbie Tech here...
Any feedback on the BF-F9 from others yet?
After reviewing what I saw, I liked the 8 w of power, and the vfo on the unit as opposed to something with the power switch on the -82, even though the -82 had a better speaker...
I have a friend who is letting me borrow his UV-5r to be able to check in and listen and learn... but I'm guessing the power of 5 w isn't letting me tx to the repeater, but I can rx pretty darn good. (according to my friend, he says I'm in a valley... I don't see it on a topical map...)
Anyway... I ordered a BF-F9 yesterday and I'll see....
Thanks for all words of wisdom...
73 de KG5EYN

#18 ·
I have the BF-F8HP and I ordered 2 F9s which should be here sometime next week.

So far, from what I can tell, they are the same HT.

Took my Tech test today and passed, so before the end of the year I should be able to see how well they transmit. I have line of sight to a good repeater that is 30 miles away, my being on a mountain and the repeater too, so that should be a good test. So far reception from the repeater is good, although at this distance it seems to start to get a bit of noise in the signal (with the strong signals).

I am going to get a magnet mount antenna for the car, and a pole omni for the house and see how much those are an improvement over the antenna that comes with the HT.

I personally prefer the small battery, but I haven't been transmitting with it either, so I don't know how long it will last when that mode.

#19 ·
The F9s came last night.

Look almost exactly the same as the F8+HP, with a slightly different faceplate - but cost less.

The antenna is shorter and the owner's manual is just a few pages whereas the F8+HP had a 78 page manual with decent instructions. But I think you can find a lot of docs for these online too.

Now I need to get some mobile antennas, a home pole omni antenna, and a programming cable. I already have the rubber cases - $5 each delivered - not bad, non slip, maybe add a little water resistance.

#20 ·
I received my BF-F9 the other night, and yesterday, I spent most of the day messing around with trying to get my computer to recognize the Prolific USB-to-Serial Com.... frustrating day...
I did try programming in the local club frequency, but realized that I was just getting out simplex... but I was heard (barely and breaking up), but better than the UV-5.
I have windows 7 at home, and tried today, windows 8 at work, and found out you have to completely delete the latest update Prolific driver, and use the 3.2.0.0 version. http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php
So far, though, the work computer, at least once, reverted back to the newest version...
also, the CHIRP software needs to be run on the BF-8... and it has it's problems as well.
I was able to upload my friends UV-5 and export it to Excel and print it out, so I have his programming, and somehow, downloading it to my BF-F9 worked, but I can't see anything in the software....
Inside a metal building, so I'll have to try it again tomorrow morning when most of the other guys get on freq.
Any thoughts on software and drivers would be appreciated, as well as programming by the keypad for all the options...

#24 ·
ok... getting nowhere fast...
trying to program the BF-F9 manually for the local repeater and I don't think I'm doing something right....
anyway... ordered a cable and software for the BF-F9 specifically at https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/BAO-F9-Programming-Software-and-USB-Cable-p/bao-f9-usb.htm
This software claims to be able to get repeater information downloaded directly from several web based repeater sites, and upload to the radio
should be here in a couple of days and I'll see if it works...
73 de KG5EYN

#28 ·
Ok...
nothing working in any good way....
Sighs...
Got my new software from RT Systems, and the new cable that both are specifically for the BF-F9, and downloaded the local repeater info and loaded it to the radio...
nothing transmitting or receiving
Reset all....
Finding out that, if it turn to freq mode, and turn my friends UV-5r and the BF-F9 on, right next to each other, I can transmits, but doesn't receive in simplex.
Sent a message to the seller about all this...
still needing help.. frustrated...

#29 ·
When in simplex make sure you do not have the plus (+) or Minus (-) offset direction on. Duplex is turned off.

Make sure to talk to the repeaters these are correct.

1. Repeater itself that you are trying to access is actually working.

2. Frequency is set right on radio.

3. Offset direction is correct for the repeater Plus (+) or Minus (-). Duplex is turned on.

4. Most all 2M repeaters are at a .6000 MHZ shift of plus or minus,But set the direction of it like I mentioned in step 3.
Most 70CM (440) repeaters are at 5 MHZ shift

5. If an option to set wide or narrow, set As needed.

6. Set tone for repeater on your output.

7. Set tone if needed for your radios input. (Usually not needed)

Here is an example of the way it will look in chirp below, This is my area repeaters.
Set yours the same, except for the Frequency, maybe offset,tone,name (optional).
I erased a few frequencies on the picture below because of privacy on my end.

#31 ·
I recently purchased the Baofeng BF-F9 V2+ from Amazon.

I was having a bit of trouble with the CHIRP software. I found that I could download from the radio to CHIRP on my Mac, but not upload.

Instead of using the "stable" version 0.4.1 of CHIRP, I tried a more recent "daily" build dated approximately December 24, 2012.
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download

When uploading to the BF-F9 V2+, I found that I could get it to work fine if I selected the BF-F8HP model.

Hope this helps.

#32 ·
Update...
Ok, finally got my exchanged BF-F9 in the mail, and using RT Systems software and cable, it appears to be working pretty darn good... of course, I did get a back-up of the original factory setting before I did anything...
Fairly impressed for the $'s spent...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.