Survivalist Forum banner

Setting myself up for disappointment?

4K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Peter 
#1 ·
I have been on a quest for an ultra light and compact rifle for running in the woods. All the options I have looked at all have there good and bad points and nothing seems to be exactly what I am looking for.

I sort of like the M1 Carbine in .30. I have even thought about having one rechambered in the 5.7 Jpohnson. I have thought about getting a AR57 upper for my AR which is chambered in the FN 5.7. The .22 Mag has always looked good as a cartridge to fit my needs as I see them, but I have never found the package that I want.

Well that is up until today. I was bopping around on Youtube today and there was a short clip about KelTec's RMR 30. This is basically the PMR30 turned into a small carbine. It reminds me a lot of a 22 Mag version of a Feather. It looks like it would fit the bill for a light carbine for bumping around in the woods.

Being Kel Tec though, I am afraid this will just be another disappointment. I do not know why, but they just never seem to get their production up to meet demand on new products. I am still waiting to get my hands on a PMR and I doubt if I will ever get to actually own a KSG.

If I ever get the chance though, I really would like one of these.

I see this fitting into a casual role for me. Hunting small game up to and including bobcats and coyotes. Taking grouse, rabbits, squirrels and such. A lot of times when I am out gathering berries, mushrooms and other edibles, i like to have a small light carbine on me. My AR's are jsut too big and bulky and a .22 LR is a bit small for quick kills on yotes and bobs. This looks like it will be a nice compact package with 30 rounds of .22 mag.

If only FN would do the same thing with their FN 5.7 pistol.

See less See more
#3 ·
out of that shortish barrel your not going to be getting much more velocity over a .22 lr with velocitors. i agree that the pmr's are cool. if you really want one soon, order it now. some people are still waiting for the stanard pistol, and those were released quite awhile ago.

#4 ·
Here are my two lightweight hunting rifles. The one is a glenfield model 30 in .30-30, lighter 4 shot tube, peep sights save weight. It feels like a 22 when holding it. I use 150gr cor-lokt reloads for hunting big game. I carry 110gr speer thats are loaded to 1600fps or so. The 100 yard 150gr zero works great for a 50 yard zero with the 110gr loads.

The other is a remington 522 viper. very accurate, completely reliable once I learned to load only 9 rounds into it instead of 10. rifle weighs virtually nothing. My guess is 3 lbs. Polymer reciever and stock. Easily find them for $100-150 used.

#7 ·
I've got lever guns, semi auto .22's, AR's, bolt guns and shot guns of all different actions and gauges.

I am interested in this, because it fits a very slim little niche in my arsenal. I am just hoping that keltec will finally get off their asses and produce a product in more than small quantities.

#8 ·
I am satisfied with my PMR-30. The chance to combine it with a carbine would be worth 400-500 bucks. Right now I have a lever action that shares the .22 mag ammo, and a little NAA revolver too.

If the RMR-30 functioned flawlessly I would consider eliminating some higher powered /higher cost carbines. The trade-off for a common caliber would be worth it.

#9 ·
sure the rimfire rounds are quite common but they don't have the shelf life of centerfire rounds. The RMR looks like a really good rifle though. If it doesn't have feeding issues it would be one of the best choices for smallgame/varmints/predators i suppose it would work alright for <100yd defense but after 150 yards its only going to hit as hard as 22lr's

#10 ·
10/22 does great, they made a .22 mag version of it.

Also I dig my M4 for it's compact size and light weight (I don't hang 47 billion accessories on it) and it's a centerfire rifle.

#13 ·
I'd consider a Single Six convertable, using .22 WMR cylinder as an adequate knock about the woods gun. Provided there were no large or dangerous animals to contend with.

#17 ·
Another option to consider...

Since you are looking at Kel-Tec, why not consider their SU-16B rifle in .223? Folds to 25" long and weighs only 4.5 lbs empty. Takes regular AR mags, and has storage for 2 10 rd mags built into the butt-stock.

I own 2 of them, and have put about 500 rds through each one with no function problems with a variety of magazines (I keep mine clean and oiled). They make a fine alternative to the AR when size and weight are important, and they are a great alternative for poor souls who live in non-AR friendly states. I get 2-2.5" groups at 100yds shooting offhand (YMMV). These are usually available wither new of on the various gun auction sites. Good luck!!

#18 ·
Guns are tools to me and like my roll away tool chest, my gun cabinets are filled will tools that fit a specific need. I have a crescent wrench that will crudely do just about most of what I need to do. I also have a 10mm stubby flex head ratchet wrench that does some things perfectly.

I spend a lot of time in the timber and brush gathering mushrooms, berries, lichen, fishing, and so forth. While I am out and about, I usually carry a predator call for coyotes and bobcats. Also if presented, I will take grouse, rabbits and squirrels.

Most of my shots are under 40 yards and never past 100 yards. I want a light handy little rifle that is not going to turn a squirrel inside out yet still take a coyote. Most of the time the gun will be on my back while I am harvesting edibles and I want it to be out of the way and not be a distraction.

I have been looking at the 5.7 because it fit the bill and I could carry 50 rounds in one clip. No need to carry an extra clip. With the one clip I have all I need for ammo for up to a couple of weeks. Now a member on another thread made the suggestion of a .22 Mag instead of the 5.7. I like the idea but until I saw this RMR rifle I had not seen a .22 mag that carried anything more than 10 rounds.

Now the RMR30 holds 30 rounds, has a collapsible stock and weighs under 5#'s. For me it fits that slim little niche that I am looking to fill.

I do not expect it to fit the needs of everyone. I also expect that very few on here spend the amount of time in the woods that I do nor have the experience in the woods that I have. Yes there are some in here that are up to the task and some on here that can teach this old dog a few tricks. However, when a man spends a life time in the bush, he learns what works for himself and knows exactly what he is looking for and what he does not need. This is how so many custom guns are built every year.

#20 ·
The Springfield M6 Scout would be a good one, yet they quit importing them from CZ quite a while ago and the price for one has gotten quite steep. I've seen some examples that were set up with an essentials kit. Actually a fairly decent set up for a break open survival gun. Light too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.