Survivalist Forum banner

help setting up a bol new guy please help

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Mtnman Mike 
#1 ·
Hey all I've had 40 acres of land that I was given to me since I was 16 I want to make a good bol I'm about 20 miles outside of town my nearest neighbors are about a mile away and I have a small stream that runs through the area no matter how dry it is around here also have hunted the area lots of deer around and an insane amount of grouse around the area as well id likne to start a small shelter id like ur input on what I should have at the site any input is welcome thank you very much sorry about the terrible spelling

#2 ·
Sounds like a nice situation to be in. However, to make suggestions, I will assume a whole lot of missing information is true.

1. You're a young, single guy
2. You currently live and work elsewhere.
3. You've already got your main location prepped to your satisfaction.

If those are all true, I think it would be a great place to make an underground bunker that is well camoflaged. Somewhere close enough to the stream that you can get water, but far enough away that no one following the stream will stumble over your shelter. Also, put some strategically placed tree stands that can be used as lookout towers (i.e. Not for hunting, if you hunt there you probably already have tree stands where the game goes).

Sometime later you may want to put a hunting cabin or a house, away from the bunker, just for more comfort while you spend time at the property. But, for a true bug out location the underground shelter, completed and stocked, and well hidden, is more useful.

Also think about planting edible trees and plants throughout the property wherever the soil and sun is nice. Whatever grows best in your area and comes back year after year.

If you only want to keep it for a safe BOL don't make a whole lot of improvements to the property. Let it stay mostly wild.

#3 ·
Good stuff, and good question.

I would suggest that you start with a cache, then add a cache, after that develop a cache.

Basically, bury stuff there in multiple locations. You want to be able to arrive naked at your location, starving and injured, yet be OK.

The ability to arrive naked should not be underestimated. While everyone else is packing their vehicle, you are already driving. While everyone else is trying to figure out what to carry so they can survive as long as they can (and fail), you have minimal gear for a short walk - and really don't even need the gear. In other words, your bugout kit could be a bottle of water instead of a 70 pound rucksack that won't get the job done anyhow.

I suggest this as a first step because you can handle this yourself with minimal financial investment and have it done quickly. While you would of course want to add a house there eventually, that will take the obvious serious investment you may not have. Because of that, you may be tempted to put it off.

The fast cheap investment of a cache system on the land will change everything, and can be done over the course of a few weekends. It can turn your bugout plan from a raider-survivalist plan into a true survivalist plan.

I would suggest a system of around four caches.

1) Arrival Cache. Place this some ways away from your planned actual camping location and primary caches below. This should have about two weeks food and other 'naked arrival' supplies. The idea is that this will be an easier to access cache and would be occupied and used upon first arrival while you recover from the trip, deal with your primary location being occupied by some other bugout survivalist, or any other number of reasons that you would want to access some immediate gear without yet exposing your primary cache.

So we are talking some food, basic shelter (like a cheapo tent), some clothing. Nothing too fancy. Maybe some ammo so you aren't tempted to try and carry a million rounds. If you have a cheap rifle this might be a good location for it.

But nothing long term key that will be needed, you want the additional ability to totally bypass this cache and not need to later access it.

2) and 3) are your primary caches. I would suggest that you split your primary 'stash' between at least two separate locations. The idea being that rather than exposing all of your supplies you simply use one cache. The intent being that if you are forced to bugout from the bugout, you retain the ability to return later without having lost your entire supply.

In reality, the way you would want to do it is that each weekend you work on your cache system you would probably just build a new cache instead of digging up one large one and then hoping to hide it, and the new stuff, and the end of the weekend.

4) Runaway Cache. In the event that you have to bugout from your location you will want to retain the ability to do so 'naked'. Basically, build a mirror of your number one cache.

Both the 1) and 4) could, and maybe should, be located OFF of your property.

YMMV,
Chad

YMMV,
Chad

#7 ·
I live in maine i can't do a underground set up cause id like this to be more of a hunting camp type deal I live about 25 miles from the area if I take main roads but can take all dirt roads / 4wheeler trails and make it there in about an hour with my truck if I had to avoid main roads id like to do some type of back up energy source whether it be solar or try and do a water wheel type desighn anyone have any information on anything like that ur advice would be greatly appreiciated

#8 ·
I live in maine i can't do a underground set up cause id like this to be more of a hunting camp type deal I live about 25 miles from the area if I take main roads but can take all dirt roads / 4wheeler trails and make it there in about an hour with my truck if I had to avoid main roads id like to do some type of back up energy source whether it be solar or try and do a water wheel type design anyone have any information on anything like that ur advice would be greatly appreciated
Well, maybe someday you will build some kind of underground shelter, root cellar, storage area or at least a good storm shelter.

It was about ten years after buying my mtn land before I built the bunker / underground shelter.

And instead of telling you what to do here are examples of what I did which has worked out very well for me and has not cost very much money to make a good BOL / retreat; maybe you can do something similar >

A link with pics showing my solar setup and a neighbor's fancier solar "system" > http://survivalhq.info/index.php?topic=730.0

3rd pic thread with more than 60 pics and in post #5 is the excellent survival retreat/BOL Checklist > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=84562

Any questions anyone might have about BOLs, survival retreats etc. just ask in a post or message.
Although after June 2nd I will be much more difficult to contact since I will be camping, working and Living on my BOL / retreat from June to Nov, maybe even Dec. this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.