Survivalist Forum banner

setting a fish net under the ice

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  nebguy 
#1 ·
Anyone know how to do it?

#3 ·
Anyone know how to set a fish net under the ice?
Yes I do but it is a bit of work to do it. For a 40 foot, weighted net you need:
1. you need an ice hole digger or cross bared spud bar.
2. a thin, light, curved rod about 15 foot long with a bug hook on one end.

Cut a series of holes across the current about 10 feet apart.
1. Lower your net into one of the end holes ones.
2. have some one lower the rod under the ice from the next nearest hole and work it to the hole with the net.
3. Hook free edge of the net and pull it to the nest hole with the rod.
4. repeat untill you are at the last hole.
5. secure that edge of the net so it can not slip down into the hole.
6. to retrieve the net, chop an oblong hole, parallel to the current, at one end and then one to free the other end.
7. carefully hand over hand the net through the bigger hole and harvest you fish as you go.
8. to reset, cut a series of holes across the current about 10 feet apart
repeat steps 1 through 5.

#4 ·
There are some variations on how to reach from one hole to the next but
that is basically how i've done it. You dont really need help with it, one person can set the net. drop a rope from the first hold, reach from number two and hook it.

the net should be secured to a pole at each end, usually tho i still water there is less need. Use a rope tho, so you can just pull the net back under again and dont need but a hole at each end. Can do it with a sort of pully and only use one hole but i never found that satisfactory.

You can get a lot of fish with a net and very little effort. Surprising how few people seem to have any idea about it.

hardest darn thing is to get a decent ice pick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.