Survivalist Forum banner

Long Term Food Storage

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Illini Warrior 
#1 ·
I have a general question on 5 gallon buckets storage. Has anyone every seen a instruction on how to make a mixed item storage bucket ie rice, corn, wheat, etc consolidted in one five gallon bucket.

#4 ·
I have a few containers of "mixed" items. They aren't really mixed together, but are in separate smaller mylar bags (w/ O2 absorbers, sealed, etc) and then put in the same larger plastic bin (easier to stack them in a square container vs bucket) for protection. I use this method for things I either (1)don't plan to keep much of or (2)won't eat in quantities smaller than a full bucket before it goes bad (quinoa, for example...it would take me years and years to eat 34lbs of quinoa).

#7 ·
New to food storage.......does mixing two types of contents in a bucket, such as grain and beans have any long term effects of a negative nature? If the bucket is sealed and prepped properly is there any negative side? I just don't want to find out the hard way a couple years down the road that I screwed this up!

#8 ·
I pack 2 lb and 4 lb single mylar bags all the time ...... I mix the variety of rice, beans, peas for varied usage purposes ...... I can pack 3 - 4lb and 6 - 2 lb mylar bags in each bucket ...... each mylar bag has limited head space and needs only a 300CC 02 absorber ....... after packing the single bags into the bucket and before lid sealing, throw in about 900 - 1200CC 02 absorbers ......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.