Survivalist Forum banner

Long term food storage questions.

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  tortminder 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I am new to the board but have been reading the forum for about a week now and I haven't come across the answers to a couple questions I have.

1. Is the typical vaccuum seal bag, the clear type found at Walmart, good for long term storage? I keep reading about the Mylar bags, but it never mentions these.

2. Empty new paint cans from Home Depot / Lowes. They have new empty 1 gal paint cans. Has anyone researched them to see if they are food safe?

Both of these methods would be used with O2 absorbers and for dry goods(wheat, beans, sugar etc).

Thanks for your time.

#2 ·
Food storage and preservation

2. Empty new paint cans from Home Depot / Lowes. They have new empty 1 gal paint cans. Has anyone researched them to see if they are food safe?

Both of these methods would be used with O2 absorbers and for dry goods(wheat, beans, sugar etc).

Thanks for your time.
Chances are that the cans would not be considered "food grade" storage. Having said that, if you were to line the can with plastic "food grade" bags with the appropriate o2 absorbers, I would think that would be a suitable application.

You might also want to look into building a food dehydrator and also "old-timey" canning to preserve food.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.