Survivalist Forum banner

Wasr-10

5K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  badkarma 
#1 ·
Thinking about picking up an AK47...I have to admit I not as knowledgeable about the AK's as I could be...The WASR-10 looks a little rough around the edges but the price is right. I'd like to get some feedback on it...Pro's and Con's, is it worth the $$$$ or best to pass on it.

Peter

#2 ·
WASR are hit or miss. The ones that are on .... are ON IT! The ones that are miss make a great club.

I only have one thing to say about them thats negative. DO NOT BY A CA import !! they make the best $350 clubs I've ever seen.

For what its worth, my opinion, is to save another $150 and buy a quality AK.

#3 ·
Saiga is another good option IMO, but you may want to mod it some. but they are made by Izhmash- the ORIGINAL AK manufacturer

#6 ·
gunshots in woods are always louder- especially in the winter time. I think theres a lot of sound reflection from the trees. And Kev most definitely needs a show on the Outdoor Channel.

Reactions: Paulycracker
#7 ·
I have a WASR-10 and mine is OK. It does give a little trigger slap but not enough to mention. My mag well was actually undersized. I little work with a lathe file squared that away. I never noticed the front sight being canted, but I never checked it either.

Kev hit the nail on the hear regarding the pinch point. I personally would have called it "cut the hell out of your bare hands and leave a blood trail to the nearest first aid kit point" myself. That sheetmetal cover was razor sharp on mine.

#8 ·
From what little I've gleaned from other sources the WASR-10's Romainia exports are not as well made as the ones they keep for thier own use. Maybe???

On the other hand some seem think it's a good starter rifle for those new to the AK...
That would be me...

Doc Young....
$150 more...what would that get me?
I am guessing CA is Century Arms?
The WASR I was looking at was going for $399 at Cabelas and I didn't see an Importers name on it? Where is it on the rifle?

Kev
I'm on dialup so the videos are going to have to wait....I'm bummed about that...
Peter

#9 ·
Buy a fixed stock Yugo or something. The price difference is about $75-$100, at least here. Considering mag wobble, canted sights, trigger slap, and pinch points......it's worth the money to upgrade.
I agree with Doc.

#25 ·
I don't get it. The Yugo doesn't have a chrome lined barrel and it has synthetic grips which someone told me has been known to melt. Everything wrong with the WASR-10 seems to be fixable and you can take more pride in something you've fixed by yourself rather then buying some $600+ Bulgarian AK-47.

And you gotta remember that your buying an AK, it's not meant to be pretty and perfect it's just meant to get beat up, shoot oodles of rounds, little maintenance, and still shoot.

As of right now I don't currently own one but I have spent a lot of time reading up about them. Can someone else please shed some light?

#13 ·
The SAR-1 is basically the Wasp-10 just the Wasp=10 was originally made for a 10 round mag to meet some import restrictions the SAR-1's were cut originally for the AK mags. My group has a couple of the SAR-1s and they have given good service. Originally we outfitted our semi-auto carbine team members with SKS's as that was what we could budget at the time we sold of most of the SKS's and went to SAR-1's and now are going to AR-15's. We are not replacing the SAR-1's as they fit well for the terrain and we have a good supply of ammo bought before the shortages along with some gear and enought mags. We will now be looking at aquireing AR's and/or M1A1's.

#15 ·
Looks I'm going to have to sharpen my pencil and do a little home work before I put down my hard earned cash...
Several problems were expressed in this thread, trigger slap, canted sights and mag well issues. Anyway to detect some of the problems before I buy?
Peter

#17 ·
The problems with WASR's can be corrected. The easy ones to correct are trigger slap (replace FCG or dremel) and mag well (dremel). The front site cant can be avoided by buying one that is straight. Or you can correct them after buying one, but not easy for the person with no mechanical skills.

#20 ·
The front site cant can be avoided by buying one that is straight. Or you can correct them after buying one, but not easy for the person with no mechanical skills.
Easy fix. Dremel, hammer, punch. Takes 10 minutes.

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/fsbcantfix.htm

This fix is alot more then you really need but gives you an idea of where to go with it. Its cheaper then buying a new ak.

Again wasr/sars are hit or miss. Just spend the extra $100-150 and get a real ak. It may save you some time and money.

#21 ·
Hello all, neat site. My wasr 10 was a little finnicky at first, but through learning about the weapon I have worked the kinks out. I like the club statement. Again neat site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.