Survivalist Forum banner

WASR-3 AK in 5.56?

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  WVMountainMan 
#1 ·
Oops, I had this posted in the wrong section! Fixed now. Sorry, mods!

A hypothetical buddy of mine was looking for a decent SKS (not me, since I don't own any guns, of course), but ran across a WASR-3 AK in 5.56 for the same price as a decent SKS. This buddy is a little disappointed by the lack of stripper-clip loading, but oh well....

I have heard horror stories about jamming issues, unless one uses a particular east-german magazine. Or the Romanian magazines that came with it.

True? False? FUD?

Is $800 a fair price for one, given the current panic conditions?

Here's a couple photos with various model numbers and such. Needs a good cleaning and a little rebluing in a couple places, but $800 seems good at the moment, if it can be made to feed reliably..... My hypothetical buddy hasn't gotten a chance to hypothetically shoot it yet, as all he has at the moment is a bunch of empty .223 brass needing reloaded right now (not having owned a rifle in that particular caliber for several years), so I have no idea if this one has the feeding issues or not....

Thanks, all!

See less See more
#5 ·
Ah! Too late! This buddy had been looking for a decent SKS for a month, and all he was able to find was a really thrashed Yugo SKS that needed several parts replaced (and for $300!). So, not being able to find anything else without buying sight-unseen, he hmm-hawed for a while and then plopped down the money for it!

He grumbled a little inside as he did it, but was happier to support the friendly local gun shop and pay a little more than to buy something off gunbroker and discover unmentioned problems after receiving it. ;)

Thanks for the advice, though! I will advise him to be on the lookout for a possible trade once the panic is over, assuming everything isn't banned by then.

#8 ·
I used bakelite (orange) mags that were marked with a white sticker that said "5.56" on it. 5.45 didn't work in it if I remember correctly. I did have a steel mag or two that I sold with the gun, they were hard to find.

The 5.56 chicom AK's took their own magazine. My friend has one and the last time I found mags for that rifle they were in the 65 dollar range.

The Galil is a full size rifle, no doubt about it. For its 9 lbs of heft, you could carry a M1A, HK-93 or FN-FNAL.

There are no deals out there right now. Good luck with your purchase.

#10 ·
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

On the topic of ammo: Sheesh. I had to drive across the state today. I stopped at no less than 7 different WalMarts looking for something to feed this thing. No .223 to be found!

I guess I will have to buy some boolits and develop a handload. I am thinking 65gr Sierra GameKing with some TAC behind it, for the 1:8.5 twist that these things supposedly have.

Any of y'all have any particular favorite handloads for these things?

I expect it would be a good idea to use a fairly hard primer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.