Survivalist Forum banner

how many of you have a WASR-10?

9K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  STFF 
#1 ·
and like it...?

#4 ·
I love mine and it will eat anything I put in it. If your thinking of getting one just check it out and handle it see how the mag fits into the well. They do have a little wobble in them on some mags but I've found 20 round mags fit nice and tight in them as well as some 30s. I was shocked at how good it shot really I wasnt exspecting it to be a tac driver but did really well and I did a lot of bump firing to and it did really well. buy one and you will be just as happy as if you spent more money. I also redid the wood on mine and looks great.

#6 ·
I have one. It's not pretty, it's kinda shoddy (but the better of the Romanian), but it gets the job done. The only misfire I've had on it was due to a magazine that stopped pushing halfway through the mag.

I pulled it out to clear the jam and the bullet in the top of the mag FELL OUT because it wasn't being pressed up against the feed lips. Ew!

#7 ·
I have 2 and love 'em both. 1 is my beater truck gun and the other is it's backup and no matter what I've fed into them neither have ever let me down. Sites are arrow straight, gas tubes line up and no mag rattle.

Really I've never understood the dislike of the WASR rifles. They are what the AK is supposed to be, simple, straight forward, combat accurate rifles with no frills, easy to employ,maintain and shoot. I know there are bad ones out there but there are bad AR's, M1-A's,FAL's, SKS's etc.... along with every other firearm ever made. The WASR's are no different. They are what they are,nothing more or less.

Actually....to be perfectly honest I prefer the WASR's and the other mid-range AK's like Yugo's, Vectors etc.... much more than the high priced Arsenals and the custom types like Krebs. Don't get me wrong, they are all nice rifles but the only thing they offer is a pretty finish and maybe higher quality wood which makes absolutely no difference to me. They don't operate any different, are no more accurate or reliable, they only cost more.

#13 ·
I love the concept behind the AK and nearly all russian technology- simplicity, ruggedness. I am a big fan of form follows function, and the AK is ALL business. Not to take away from the AR series- but the two weapons were made to very different mindsets.

The AR is built like a precision implement, the AK is built like a farming tool. You can fire thousands of rounds, set the foregrip on fire- and all you'll have to do is occasionally recycle the action. Made to be abused, and it shows. When I try to baby my WASR 10, it doesnt perform as well

Reactions: Gunnolf
#20 ·
I own a WASR-10, and it does what its designed to do - its goes bang when I pull the trigger. Every, single, time.

If you want a pretty rifle, go buy an AR. If you want something you can say "screw it, its an AK" then buy a WASR.

Question: Whats the difference between a $400 AK and an $800 AK?
Answer: $400

#24 ·
+1 a big +1 on everything Kev said. This is what I have been saying about the ABCs of AR-15s. I dont care if you spend 800-1500 to have that name on the side if you cant shoot like a marksman its not going to make you. I've put my .02 in on the ARs and now on the WASR-10. This rifle does what its meant to do no questions asked of it and eats anything. I love mine and wouldnt trade for another high dollar AK.

#21 ·
WASR= Century Arms chop job... Imported as single stack, Century drops a jig on the receiver and puts the die grinder to it... I purchased a 6 pack for my shop 3 were fine, 1 was real sloppy(transformed into post sample beater machinegun), 2 went back... Came back from century still useless, traded them off to another dealer and will NEVER put another into inventory...
You can still find $4-500 SAR-1s and the odd MAK 90, both are way better firearms.

Just my opinion, as an 07/02 S.O.T. with 15 years in the paramilitary firearms buisness, Both in sales and manfacturing...

#36 ·
I agree with Gunnolf and Kev on this. In these days when the price of ammo goes up, we need to buy it rather than fancier weapons; unless you have a special reason to buy a certain weapon. They are tools that do a certain job. The AR and AK are not the same, and some are better off with the AR, but comparing an AK to an AK could cause a very good waste of an extra $500, unless you buy it as a collector; or have lots of money to spend.

SAR or WASR. No need for anything else in an indestructible assault weapon.

#38 ·
I have owned one, from what I hear it was one of the good ones because I never had an issue with it. Sure, it wasn't perfect QC-wise, but it fired every time I pulled the trigger. I once wanted to see how long I could shot it without having to clean it, and that lasted until I sold it off :) (thousands of rounds later).
I'm seriously considering another AK, and this time I'm probably going to send it off to Jim Fuller to have one built. I've heard nothing but the best from people that have one of his AK's.

#39 ·
century is not known for high end quality, we got 3 in at the shop where i'm an armorer and 1 had a loose shoulder stock right out of the box! but it's easier to raplace than send back which is what makes the ak so great anybody with a minimal amount of ability can keep them running. just remember it's a lead sprayer not a sniper rifle. ($579.+ttl)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.