Survivalist Forum banner
20K views 64 replies 41 participants last post by  Primalpriest 
#1 ·
Im looking to add another gun that shoots the 762x39 round to my collection. Im looking at the SKS or a WASR, it will be a fun gun and used for hunting, plinking, ect

#18 ·
I say BS.

I picked up a Romanian AKM (WS1-64) clone on Monday, produced by C.N. ROMARM S.A./CUGIR in 2011. Under folder, chambered in 7.62x39.

After cleaning it, I went to range yesterday and shot it for the first time (steel cased Wolf FMJ ammo). Zero issues regarding reliability and precision was fair for an AKM clone in a caliber which is known for it's doubtful precision. Hitting a 12" target @100 meters seems fair to me, with iron sights, standing.

The rifles directly come from Romania and they are cheap and they do what they are intended to do. If the jerks in the states mess up the rifles in order to achieve 922 compliance, bad for you. But stop saying this is a general problem.

If you want a more precise rifle, get an AR.

#7 ·
SKS all the way! Stripper clips can be stuffed into pockets and require no maintenance or worry. With a little practice, stripper fed ammo can be loaded probably faster than screwing with magazines. Sames goes for the M1 Garand rifle using the 8-round en-bloc clips which despite what the armchair know nothing commandos say, is in fact a great advantage over a magazine equipped semi-auto. Mister Garand and the Army Ordinance Department figured through trials back in the 1930s, that a detachable box magazine on their M1 semi-automatic battle rifle was a no go for numerous reasons.

Cumbersome tin magazines on a semi-auto rifle is not smart or logical. It may look macho and cool within the yahoo community, but for field use, the mags are pain in the ass. Used to do some serious war gaming years ago facing off against real military units. They always had us play the roll of an insurgent or guerrilla force. At first, we bad guys started out using AR15s and also those semi-auto M1A make believe M14 rifles. Running around the woods for days, it was soon learned that metal box magazines needed to be managed and maintained. Got to hate the things! After a couple of war games, the M1A/M14 semi-autos were left at home in favor of M1903s and Garand rifles. We didn't have blanks or adapters for the SKS so did not use those.

Also, with ammo left in the magazines for any length of time, the weak springs get weaker and cause feeding problems.

Used to fill the pockets of my field jacket with 8-round clips for the M1 Garand. No web belts or bothersome bandoleers. No distracting fumbling around with magazines. When on the move, not having a bunch of magazines to deal with is a big bonus.

With the SKS and stripper clips it's just as easy to handle. Had assorted semi-auto version AK-47 type rifles over the years mostly picked up in swap deals. Disliked the banana magazine of the AK intensely which really gets in the way all the time. For a defense semi-auto battle rifle, in my humble opinion, an SKS is excellent.

#24 ·
Cumbersome tin magazines on a semi-auto rifle is not smart or logical. It may look macho and cool within the yahoo community, but for field use, the mags are pain in the ass. Used to do some serious war gaming years ago facing off against real military units. They always had us play the roll of an insurgent or guerrilla force. At first, we bad guys started out using AR15s and also those semi-auto M1A make believe M14 rifles. Running around the woods for days, it was soon learned that metal box magazines needed to be managed and maintained. Got to hate the things! After a couple of war games, the M1A/M14 semi-autos were left at home in favor of M1903s and Garand rifles. We didn't have blanks or adapters for the SKS so did not use those.
No offense but I've also played OP4 with an SKS, Mauser Kar98k, FA PPS-43, FA MG34, semi AK47... Having mags is pretty cool. Stripper clips are alright, you are correct. Alot can be stuffed. But I proper chestrig loaded with AK mags has a leg up on just a ton of randomly placed stripper clips.

#12 ·
I'd go saiga. WASR's are poorly made, kinda bottom of the barrel.

Sks is used, may have been abused, and some weren't so well made.

A brand new saiga has 3 calibers to choose from, is cheaper than a WASR or SKS, comes with a 10 round mag but can be converted to take normal capacity, and best of all is top quality Russian new manufacture.

#16 ·
I own two SKS rifles (One Norinco, One Yugo)... I love them. I also own a Vector Arms AK47 (very well made firearm, one of the best AKs).... Anyways moving on to the point, I can shoot an SKS WAY better than an AK47. 300 yards with an AK47 on the prone... Sorry, it's kinda hard. But with an SKS you can hit a man just about every time at that range. That being said, for SHTF... I'd still rather go to my AK or another rifle. But just for an all around fun rifle, I think the SKS wins. Aparently you already own rifles in 7.62X39 so I guess one of those is your "go to" firearm.

#21 ·
We all know that AKs and AK clones are not comparable with other firearms, regarding fit and finish.

OK, the original Bulgarian Arsenal rifles are somehow special, because they are really well crafted (machined). The milled receiver is a dream, but they come somehow heavy, if compared with stamped receiver ones.

But that what is done in the US to some of the cheaper AK clones...the rifles are messed up there, and I personally do not consider them Romanian, Polish or whatever made anymore. For me they are US Frankenguns. Sorry, but I know a lot of people buying and shooting AK clones, Molot, Izhmash, Arsenal, Cugir...Cugir rifles are the cheapest ones (starting from 400 bucks) but they are imported as produced in Romania.

And they work.

No modifications needed on them to accept double stack magazines and so on...

I have seen rifles in the US, AK clones and UZI clones which did not work properly. And they were messed up in the US. Sorry, but the AK as well as the UZI both are reliable and caveman simple systems. IT really takes some engineering skills to mess them up. But they did. Why? Because there are some regulations to be compliant with, but after importing the customers are not willing to pay for the needed modifications in order to make firearms compliant to whatever law.

I would be very careful what names I use, because all your precious Arsenal, Izhmash and so on rifles, in fact are something else...

It is like saying those gay Colt 1911s...the queen of failure to feed. That bitch does not even suck on a round nose 230 gr...but I for sure do not tell you that I have not an original Colt 1911, I have a very rough crafted Norinco clone. Get it? Just as an example, I don't own ****ty firearms.

#42 ·
Not sure what you are saying in this post...and Arsenal AK's come in to the country from the Izhmash Arsenal in Russia and are "IN FACT" real Russian made AK's in sporter configuration. ANd aside from the fact that their finish is basically BBQ paint they are VERY WELL MADE weapons. ANd I don't even mind that finish because it is easily touched up when needed. As far as AK's coming in from Romania and being built up here in the US okay maybe you have something there since most of them on the market are Century guns...but even their quality is improving. And as far as them having to be made compliant it isn't difficult or expensive to do it...I have converted 2 Saiga rifles in my home shop with hand tools and READILY available US made parts and they run flawlessly. Now as far as Saiga vs SKS it is a personal preference thing...I prefer the AK platform because it was designed as a removable high capacity magazine weapon and the SKS was not. There are some guys on the SKS Boards who have made some great products allowing the SKS to use hi cap mags and even with out the dreaded duckbills. ANd they work very well...I even posted a video running my Paratrooper on another thread here with the duckbill-less magazines. But I still prefer my two AK's.

#25 ·
The sks Is a milled rifle. all the ak's minus the milled are sheet metal. But again there tough as nails. I like my sks, it will out last the ask every day anyday, but for the type of fighting it was designed for the aks. for us civilians who most likly will never see real combat, than the sks is more than enough gun.knock the tapco if you must but for what we use it for. it will never break. i have dragged it with a quad, i have filled the action with rocks and rock dust and then shook it off and it still ran. you can so the same with the ak. but everything on the sks minues the stock and springs are milled. i highly dought theres gonna be any civil wars

#36 ·
Sure a milled receiver is a "nice to have" feature. The milled receiver has the one big disadvantage: it makes the rifle more heavy.

I would not be concerned of a stamped receiver, just have a look over to Afghanistan: there are so many old AKs, receivers seem to be no problem. Before the receiver dies (even the stamped ones) you have out-shoot your barrel. And that takes some time.

#28 ·
im actually gonna have to agree. the magazine is the #1 reason for most failures in semi-auto, Auto rifles. theres a reason they keep comming out with the latest and greatest mag.. becuase they keep improving them. the mag gets dirt,dents, water mixed with dirt turns into mud. with externals you have the floor plate. witch is held in by 4 little pieces of metal. gi's dont have the luxury of having pmag or other top notch makers. they have uuuuuuussssed gi sheetmetal mags that have probebly been rebuilt so manytimes. you cant even count. Internals are better in that onces the bolts closed the ammo is protected about 98% so the guns gonna run. i also wouldnt give up superior mag capacity either. if the m-16 di system was alittle bigger in diamiter to allow more gas into it, than i bet it would be a more rugged system. As a civilian you should always keep your weapon clean and ready. theres no excuse. in the service they dont always have time, that is why theres more of a chance of jamming. i would rather be sleeping than cleaning a weapon. hopfuly they have designated gun cleaning teams just to keep the gun clean and running 100%.also, if you widen the gas hole 1/2 .001 and pull the gas hole back .005 that would give it a little more kick. but then that wears the uppers internals down alot uicker.......

#30 ·
Ok... Umm.. WHAT? You are insane if you honestly believe this as fact! Personal preference, sure. Fack, no f'in way! :D
That was my opinion, based on personal experience. If it's insane to make whatever you're doing easier and less complicated, then I'm nuts. For running around the woods after SHTF (whatever the hell that is suppose to mean?) playing Sergeant York while having to fumble around with a bunch of magazines for a "spray and pray" semi-auto rifle fubar is your business. Knock yourself out!

Since I'm now too old and fat to "bug out" when the time comes, we will no doubt stay put and "bug in". For inside close work we have pump riot shotguns and M1911 45-auto pistols.

With that said. for "Schick Hits the Fan", we will have two, bi-pod equipped FN-FAL rifles deployed in upper floor windows overlooking our front property. Any trees that were there are not there now. It's an open killing field out front. From those vantage point positions, an interlocking cross fire will take out marauders and their vehicles when they roll up the long double driveways. A low boulder barrier will be set up across the driveways about half-way forcing vehicles to stop. When they bailout of the shot up car or truck, whichever way they run, it's in the open with no cover. Of course those rifles have 30-round magazines because we need to shoot the criminal pillager bastards to pieces lickety-split.

#32 ·
With that said. for "Schick Hits the Fan", we will have two, bi-pod equipped FN-FAL rifles deployed in upper floor windows overlooking our front property. Any trees that were there are not there now. It's an open killing field out front. From those vantage point positions, an interlocking cross fire will take out marauders and their vehicles when they roll up the long double driveways. A low boulder barrier will be set up across the driveways about half-way forcing vehicles to stop. When they bailout of the shot up car or truck, whichever way they run, it's in the open with no cover. Of course those rifles have 30-round magazines because we need to shoot the criminal pillager bastards to pieces lickety-split.
Why not get a beltfed semi? Oddly enough, they're pretty good for fixed positions.

#34 ·
I love high caps. but that has become a rich mans game. i have gone back to 22lr. THats great for training, and other things. the sks is a great rifle for peasents. or in america, MOst of the untrained un simpithetic to the 2nd Amendment. but if they have to use one this is a great gun. Again the sks rifle is not a 300 yard tac driver but im sure sum people could come close,. the sks is also a training gun for alot of shooters who are/were new. I am upgrading to an ar platform. It truly is a more user friendly gun. And just like the 9mm, the 556 has plenty of punch. just have to train for accurate hits.

not to highjack buthow much would the conversion cost U "Dmac27" for your set up? I seen it and have to say it is a sound set up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.