Survivalist Forum banner

.223 ak? wasr 3? help...

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Christian 
#1 ·
so i have chosen to use an ak platform rifle as my gtfo/shtf/**** the zombie armadillos are attacking-situation gun. my father has chosen his colt AR in .223. i got to thinking that it could be more beneficial for me to have the light weight of the .223 ammo as well as the ability to share ammo with my old man. is the wasr3 andy good? ive heard horror stories as well as praise for the gun, so is there anything i should look for in a good gun, a wasr3 in particular?

or is this a trivial thing and the negatives outweigh the positives i have stated pertaining to switching from x39 ammo to .223? and no, im not going to try and talk my old man into getting a x39 ar. thanks a lot in advance.

oh, and does the wars3 have the standard bayonet lug? thanks again.

#2 ·
I don't have any experience with a WASR 3. I do have experience with the Saiga rifles. In my opinion the Saiga rifles are hard to beat, and they come in .223 new. I would highly recommend getting a Saiga and converting it. I did a conversion on my x39 Saiga in about two hours.

#7 ·
Yeah, stay away from American made AK mags... Arsenal mags are good. +1 on getting a Saiga AK 'sporter' in 223 and converting it to AK stocks. Russian made. If you go Century, look for canted front sight-- but 99% of the problems can be fixed.

But why not go AR? Same mags as your dad. A CMMG bargain bin M4gery runs $599? Keep it clean, it will work fine. Its no AK in reliability- but a regular AK aint no AR in accuracy! You gonna be low crawling through mud 'n sand???

#8 ·
Yeah, stay away from American made AK mags... Arsenal mags are good. +1 on getting a Saiga AK 'sporter' in 223 and converting it to AK stocks. Russian made. If you go Century, look for canted front sight-- but 99% of the problems can be fixed.

But why not go AR? Same mags as your dad. A CMMG bargain bin M4gery runs $599? Keep it clean, it will work fine. Its no AK in reliability- but a regular AK aint no AR in accuracy! You gonna be low crawling through mud 'n sand???
You never know, but an ak using good .223 or 5.45 is a lot more accurate than people would think.

#10 ·
i've thought about ar as well, but it just dosent seem "me." i have much more experience with the AK platform, having run thousands of rounds through mine and maybe 1-200 in the ar. right now, NO new gun seems in the budget so it is only a dream. and when funds are acquired i will probably just end up going the wasr route and spending the extra cash "fine tuning" it so that it runs flawlessly.

#11 ·
The only AKs that don't have reliability problems with the .223 cartridge are the ones made by the Russians. The Saigas. Which is why I have one. Saiga .223 rifles require a US made Surefire brand polymer magazine to avoid using foreign modified magazines. If the foreign modified mags are chosen to be used, three other parts need to be replaced to satisfy the law, usually the trigger group. And a bullet guide needs to be installed to get the bullets to feed, which is done by drilling and tapping a hole into the trunnion. All of that is simply too burdensome for me, so I went with swapping out the stock with a collapsible stock and using a Surefire magazine to meet the remaining three parts law. Never had a jam and the gun works reliably.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.