Survivalist Forum banner

Sighting in a scope, need help!

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  kajunman1 
#1 ·
I'm fixing to go sight in my AR and the scope I have is the Nikon .223 scope. It's a mil-dot and has a windage and elevation adjustment knobs.

Here are my questions

1. Do I fire my first shot with the scope as it came outside of the box?

2. When I find the zero at 100 yards how do I remember where that zero is so when I do adjust it I can remember my 100 yard zero?

3. Scope rings.. 20 MOA, please someone just explain This as simply as possible!

And that's about it.. Help is much appreciated. God bless

#2 ·
I'm not familiar with your specific scope.

1. Did you mount your own rings and scope? If so, did you level and/or align the scope as much as possible? Did you lap your rings if necessary? Those are good things to do before taking your first shot. However, if you can't or don't want to do that, go ahead and start shooting. As for whether you need to adjust your scope itself, it probably comes set at 0/neutral for elevation and windage, but it's good to check that before starting.

3. 20MOA mounts should be angled by 20 MOA for longer range shooting. A general rule of thumb is to use 0 MOA for 0-600 yards and 20 MOA for 600-1000. Because bullets drop farther at longer ranges, with a 0 MOA mount, your scope might not be able to adjust as far as your bullet drop. By putting additional MOA into the mount, your scope can then be used further out.

#3 ·
I am totally confused by these questions. Here is my procedure:

1. purchase good quality mount, scope and rings.

2. mount the mount to the rifle.

3. place the rings

4. Gently set the scope into the rings

5. sight through the scope to determine eye relief, may require different checks for high / low zoom. Adjust the scope and rings as needed

6. with the ring positions determined, tighten the rings into the mount. Don't overdo this, you're not done yet.

7. Lay the scope in the rings.

8. determine vertical. This can be the bubba method (of which I'm pretty good) or a combnation of scope levelers

9. with vertical determined, gently add in the top of the rings and tighten ever so slightly

10. determine vertical again as above

11. tighten the rings and the mounts

12. go to the range. be prepared to repeat any and all of the 11 steps above at the range.

You're done with the 12-step program.

note: doing your homework beforehand may prevent you from having to repeat step #1 above.

#5 ·
#8 gets me all the time. It is my mind game.

If I hit the paper at 100 yards, I start adjusting. If I miss, I start backing up till I hit paper.

I don't adjust windage(left-right) once zeroed. Which may take several or more times to the range. Removing the scope, a bump, cleaning the rifle, etc... may cause a need to adjust.

Look at the velocity chart on the ammo box. It tells bullet drop. Different ammo weights and velocities change vertical zero.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.