Survivalist Forum banner

Problems sighting in Scope on SKS

14K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  gbm75 
#1 ·
I have the Chinese Norinco SKS and got the NC-Star Tri Rail weaver mount and put on it that replaces the top receiver cover and all. I just had a Simmons 3x9x32 Deer-field scope I took off my 30-30 and slapped it on just to see how it shoots. I started at 10yrds just to see where it was shooting. I have the scope turned all the way up as far as it will go and at 10yds its shooting about 6-8 inches below bulls eye. If I move the target out about 30yds it shoots the dirt in front of target. If you hold the open sights on the bulls eye then look at cross hairs on scope there clearly 6-8 inches to high and scope will not adjust anymore if you go the other way its just keeps shooting lower. Any suggestions? Do you have to get a special scope cause it sets so high up that will adjust more? My nephew ran into this same problem on his AR-15 and he had Leupold scope on his so I know its not just cause I got this cheaper scope. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
Not sure if your rounds are generally on line but I would not concern myself with it hitting short at that range. If impact of the round is on line with the center of target, continue to move your target out in increments untill you are at 100 yards. 7.62x39 is actually climbing until about 75 yards with an aiming point of 100. As you increase your range make small adjustments to the scope. Also make sure you have your iron sights properly adjusted. If your comparing your scope to your iron and the iron is not properly set, your taking steps backward. Also, when trying to Zero, make sure you are using a completely stable rest. No sense in trying to zero off hand. No one is that steady.

#4 ·
Buy a laser bullet in 7.62x39.I had to lower the adjustment a lot to bring my scope and laser points together. My scope is a Vortex red and green dot scope.There wasn't much more I could lower it vertically in the adjustment of the scope.My scope is mounted on the front gas cylinder wooden cover. I brought the two laser dot together at 25 yards.It don't get any better than that.From there I shot 3 rounds and made final adjustment for 100 yard shots.

#7 ·
Yea scope is mounted the right way and everything seems to be tight. I know its adjusted as far as it will go but the bullet still needs to come up 6-8 inches its dead on as far as left and right. I will try to find time to play with it tomorrow again. Thanks for the replies.

#8 ·
I've never heard of even the el heapo scopes not being able to sight in on a tri-rail receiver cover mount, but the receiver cover mounts are notorious for not holding zero after about 30-50 rounds, even the ones that come with the set screws. They are about the worst mount you can get for ability to hold solid and are not very good at holding zero when remove and reinstalled.

#9 ·
Well first I would say this, you buy cheap scope you deal with the problems associated with them. Your going to trust your life to a 200.00 (tops) dollar rifle, topped with a 30.00 scope? Give me a break.

Your optic should match the value of your rifle if not be more expensive.

Here you go, let me help you out.

http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/sp-series-red-dot/

http://theconsumerlink.com/product_detail.asp?BID=Millett&T1=TCL+RD00904&navStart=0&.

As far as the mount not holding zero I have no experience with the one you have, but this is the one I have and it has held zero fine for years of continues use. Word of advice: Locktite everything.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/30923582-1.html

#16 ·
Lots of good info above!

Receiver mounted scopes do not hold zero. Repeat.....receiver mounted scopes do not hold zero. You are wasting your time with one.

Look at a Choate mount or a scoutscopes.com mount (requres LER scope).

Now after all that, the SKS is not a good rifle in general for optics. It's hard to get a good cheek weld with one.
Is the scope mounted as solid as those mounts get...lol...While not my favorite mount I do have a few and they work..not great but they work...Choate is better but hey. I prefer the iron peep sights and/or a scout style mount. I like shooting eyes wide open.
Did you bore sight the scope 1st to get on paper? Can you hit paper at 25 or 50 yards? I like the cover mounts better for a reflex or sure shot type sight or red dot?

#10 ·
First off did you try adjusting the scope the opossite way? Say if your arrow points one way and says up and you take it that way it may take it to were your shooting low. Try that also when you do your adjustments tap lightly on the turrent. There is times it can get stuck and a light tap will break it loose. After that pull it off and remount it. Also watch your brass when it ejects it will hit the front of your scope. Anyways if none of that helps the you need to shim your scope. I ve done it on certain scopes. Or go get a differnt scope. But dont let them get you down on your scope choice. I shoot simmons and nikon. I also have a cheap bsa mil-dot on my ar for coyotes that has went threw hell and back. Same with some of my simmons scopes.

#12 ·
Sounds like maybe I just need to ditch the scope and stick to iron sights on my SKS. I will buy me a good scope for my AR-15 when I get one. Thanks for all the replies.:thumb: I for got to mention I used my bore sighter on this also and had the same problem in the house trying to get the lazer where it was suppost to be on the target was the same and it wouldn't bring the lazer up high enough either but I just thought it was my bore sighter.

#13 ·
Ok took the sks up in the hayfield at 75 yards. Can put this thing in a vice and hit target well with iron sites. If I raise my eye up to the scope with it turned all the way up as far as it will go im over a foot above the target with the scope cross hairs. If I turn my scope all the way down im about 3 foot or more above the target with my cross hairs. So scope isnt hung up its adjusting I guess it just wont adjust far enough. If I put cross hairs on bulls eye at 75yrds I shoot about 5ft in the dirt in front of the target thats as close as i can adjust it. If I turn scope all the way down I will shoot 10 or 15ft in front of the target. Its got me stumped I have shot guns and lined them in all my life. Here is a pic with the scope on the gun and everything is tight and lined up well. Must be cause its so high on gun I dunno.

#15 ·
solution

Take the mount off, place in garbage, use irons. Seriously though that mount is trash and not a stable mounting solution. Think about it. The recoil spring butts up right on it and it is held in by a push pin.

I've tried one, thought it could work if filed perfectly and real tight...Nope. It's either not going to hold zero, or you will get through x amount of rounds and then it will fail to hold.

Just a warning but I'm sure you'll stick with it till it fails you just like it did to me and tons of other. I've yet to hear one good story with those mounts.

#17 ·
I have the same scope mount on my sks but I just use a reflex red dot. I had no issues getting mine dialed in and it holds zero well.

check clearance between the receiver cover and receiver and see there is a gap in the front or back, might indicate it is tilted slightly. I had to file mine down a bit before it would fit correctly

#18 ·
Anytime you place a Scope that high above the Axis of the Bore you are going to run out of Elevation. That's why I laugh when I see those Scopes mounted on top of Carry Handle backed AR-15s.
That said, both NC Star and Simmons are both Trash, and as was stated earlier, those mounts will not hold a Zero for long if at all.

Also, just noticed that you were pulling double duty on the Scope, as the SKS ejects Casings upwards. This means that without a "Shell Deflector", your Scope is getting tinked by Empty Brass everytime you squeeze the Trigger.

#19 ·
I did try to bore sight it but had same problem. I couldn't get the lazer to go up high enough with the scope adjusted all the way. Anyway I see that this mount is junk and I dont think the scope is any good. I now have my original cover back on using the iron sights. Thanks to all you guys replies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.