Survivalist Forum banner

personal financial disaster

2K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  mangyhyena 
#1 ·
ok i hope its ok i break this outta the homeless thread (poor homeless thread, can someone please home the thread :p ) and that it still will sound interesting.

ok say u had a personal/family economic crash. for some odd reason (no, in this game u cant prevent the crash) u have no income and no home. sorry for those who arent in debt over their homes, had to include u somehow (even if in real life owning without debt must be the safest). anyway, something force majeure took place.

what would u do? where would u go?

for me, i know my friend would help me out. shed lodge me until i got back on my feet. id say most people dont have a perosn they can depend on this bad. proves how incredibly important social relations is.

if i couldnt do that, id probably try to live on my friends moms property and save up.

if i couldnt do that, id run for the woods. i think id choose that over the homeless shelter.

#2 · (Edited)
I think between various government and charitable services I could quickly get myself set up in a low rent studio apartment on a bus line with a minimum wage job. A cot, a pot, a spoon, a towel, a change of clothes, and a door that locks is all I need.

I’ve wondered if I could get by if dropped naked in a foreign country where I didn’t speak the language. I think I’d focus on demonstrating a willingness to work for anyone I came in contact with and see how far that would get me.
VW

#3 ·
a squeegee, a bucket, and a spray bottle...and in 5 minutes for $3 (which i scrounged from the vacuum cleaners at the coin op car wash, or from around the bases of parking meters) at the dollar store i'd be set up in an all cash window cleaning business in the downtown area. wouldn't take but a day or so to get into a low rent hotel, and work up from there.

Reactions: VW.
#4 ·
It happened to me.

Got sick, lost my job, my apartment, almost lost the truck. Ate my food preps. Sold my prep equipment for medical equipment.

My brother took me in, paid for my bankruptcy and stood by me until my disability decision came in positive (thankfully, after two appeals and two years), moved me into subsidized housing when I qualified. He still checks on me every month or so.

Can't say enough good things about my brother. I'd be dead without his help.

#6 ·
That kind of personal disaster happens to people every day, and that (personal disaster) is the most likely survival scenario I expect to ever find myself in. It's what I prepare for. I'm not worried so much about nuclear war or an asteroid. Sure, those things are possible, but they're not as likely as me finding myself without a job and without a home.

Not too long ago my vehicle broke down. I live in a rural area where there is no public transportation. No vehicle = no job = no home. If my father hadn't helped me to get a new vehicle, I would be out in the woods right now building a shelter and hunting squirrels.

#8 ·
Both my wife's and mine families are here in the Chicago area. Parents, in-laws, uncles, aunts, cousins, the whole nine. The in-laws have their house paid off, so that would be plan A. My parents would be plan B. Plan C, someone from the extended family would take us. Besides, we have about three years' worth of expenses in the bank, so that should help.

#10 ·
I would get someone to video tape our sob story and send it to extreme home makeover... they'd build us a house 4 times bigger than anyone needs, pay off the mortgage, give me like fifty grand to upkeep the house, probably send my kids to college, and maybe if I'm lucky get me a new car! Woo hoo! :)

#11 ·
I would do what I did....
Move into tent, work to better my situation.

I lived in a tent for 5 months. While there, I worked, I started a non-profit to help the homeless, and did my best to learn from the experience.

#12 ·
While I hope it doesn't happen to anyone, I think it is a very good learning experience.

You will learn who your friends are. You will learn just how your family regards you.

I didn't lose my home, but I was in a severe financial crunch in 2002 and I learned that probably 98% of the people I thought were my friends wouldn't have anything to do with me. In truth only two people stood by me. Neither was able to really do much but they promised I wouldn't go hungry and they would do whatever they could which at the time meant a whole lot to me.

My family (mother, father, and brother) were generally supportive. My father had some harsh words for me at first and blamed me for what happened, etc but he never threw me to the wolves.

#13 ·
"I’ve wondered if I could get by if dropped naked in a foreign country where I didn’t speak the language. I think I’d focus on demonstrating a willingness to work for anyone I came in contact with and see how far that would get me."
VW - I think how you would do depends on what you look like naked. :D Personally, I think if I were dropped anywhere naked, I'd be doomed.

#14 ·
Well, I suppose it could happen no matter what you've done to prepare. BTW, do I get to use my PM's? If so, I would very quickly pick up a used RV pull trailer and live in that. I do have friends who would let me park at their place and plug in---for a time.
I would work at a job if I could find one, and I would definitely be looking for any type of job no matter what it is. And/or, I would work for myself doing whatever I could---window washing, picking up dog poop from peoples' yards, mowing grass, cleaning out garages, hauling junk to the dump---whatever during hours when I'm not working for a company.

I paid off my debts, built my savings, and invested in both stock and PM's for this very reason. Next, we're moving onto a homestead so we can become as self-sufficient as possible. Hard times can happen at any time and it is still my job to feed my family and keep a roof over their heads. I'm trying to maneuver into a position where I can do this during the hardest of times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.