Survivalist Forum banner

Survival skills, who practices?

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  nicktide 
#1 ·
I'm not saying I go out and build a bow and drill but when I go camping or hiking with my daughter I use a compass when moving and never use a match when I can use steel & tinder, how many of us practice the basic skills?

#3 ·
how many of us practice the basic skills?
I try to practice basic survival skills when up here shown and told about in this long thread > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=84562

Although I also work, camp, filter water everyday and live up there from June to Nov. so I also use matches and some other things quite a bit, since it is faster and easier.

There are quite a few who practice or at least post about doing so in this wilderness section > http://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

#5 ·
The basic skill that has come in most handy these last few years was the ability to defend myself, so that's what I practice most often. I combine that with goign to the gym so as to stay healthy and strong. Thi not only has advantages in terms of disuasion factor and actual use for self defense, its also just good all around for my health, boosts inmune system, reliefs stress, so meny benefits there. Haven't been camping latley but hope to catch up in acouple weeks.
Use matches daily (oven :p ) and practice with ferrocerium. My water filter is installed becuase tap water is polluted, so I can't say I practice that. I do know how to repair and maintain it and have a few spare parts for it. Kind of important having filtered water around here.
Awareness and keeping an eye on suspicious movement is also second nature where I live.

FerFAL

FerFAL

#7 ·
When we go to the BOL. We have no running water, electric or septic. Very basic. I recently purchased a generator for using power tools.
I do use a chainsaw to help clear my land and have a backhoe. I have a tent camper to sleep in, purchaced that over a year ago, was staying in tents. Campfire to stay warm and use it to cook our food.

Built an outhouse this last year after using a bucket for two years.

#10 ·
Just joined today, great site. Been reading for a while and decided it was time to participate. Until recently, I have been more of a "lost in the woods" survivalist and not a "shtf" type. If I did as much practicing as I did reading, I would have my own cable show. LOL.

Anyway, I practice fire skills quite often. Fire is life- keep warm, purify water, distill sea water (simply put a rag over a pot of boiling water and collect steam), cooking food, light, ward off unwanted animal. Practice a 1 match fire without paper or chemicals. Once you learn that, practice flint and steel and bow and drill.

Another skill I practice is finding shelter. While hiking and it starts to get a little late, I start thinking, "If I was lost what would I do?" and I start looking for shelter. It is everywhere... large rocks make a great wind break, a tree fallen across another as a frame for shelter, etc.. While I am looking, I am also looking for anything that would make good fire starter for a match or flint and steel / bow and drill.

I also look for a little something to eat. Maple leaves may not be great, but the young ones are tolerable and young seeds are good. I guess the seeds have protein and the leaves have some carbs. It also gives me time to learn things. For instance, I found what turned out to be paw paw. I thought it might be so I took one home and Identified it. What a great find that would be if I was lost. Or for that matter, in a shtf scenario, I know where a wild stand of paw paw.

Many scenarios go through my head when hiking, Like what would I do if I was lost and I or my hiking partner broke a leg right now, or if I came across another hiker who was sick from dehydration? I now carry a spare bottle of water and I know how to build a sledge to drag my partner off the mountain or to instruct them to build one if my leg was broken. I also now carry a flare gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.