Survivalist Forum banner

Casting bullets out of bullets out of... bullets?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  prconnection 
#1 ·
I live next to Fort Polk, and on one of their ranges they allow air craft to shoot at ground targets. As an end result, they have thousands of 30mm lead nuggets lying all over the place. I really want to take a bunch and melt them down, but they all have these plastic rings around the diameter.

It looks like the rings function as a sabot, and fit the rifling of the barrel, as such they're pretty darn hard to remove. Also, some of them have minor rust as well as small patches of blue paint.

My question is this, if I threw them in the pot and melted them down, would all of the junk (including the plastic) melt and separate so I could skim it out, or would it blend with the lead?

I would just melt it down and see what happens, but I don't have my melting pot yet and the wife probably wouldn't take kindly to me using her cooking pots. That being said, any advice would be appreciated!

#3 ·
You better be careful, the A-10s from Barksdale sometimes use the range for there main gun and it shoots depleted uranium slugs. If they are rounds from the Apach helicopter chain gun watch out for a yellow stripe on a black band, this is a high explosive round, you probably don't want to try and melt those.
Google M230 chain gun and do some research before you play with these.

#4 ·
I don't know anything about those rounds. If they are depleted uranium, normal methods of working with them probably won't be effective.

If they are lead, then yes, melting them would separate out the other stuff, including plastic. It should work fine if they are lead and not something else.

Don't be standing there when an A-10 strafes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.