Survivalist Forum banner

Car parts to stock in car? what broke that caused you be stranded once?

9K views 73 replies 47 participants last post by  Klbsa 
#1 ·
Ive been stranded due to dead battery, flat tire, broke fan belt, broke a fan belt pulley which broke a belt once also, water pump failure, fuel pump failure, no keys, frozen fuel line possibly once, delayed from icy windshield, broke brake line and sticking calipers, out of fuel,,... so with all this,,here is what i'd for sure like to keep in a car from now on..
1. a way to jump yourself off like those battery jumper boxes,
2. spare tire and good jack. and some fix a flat cans.
3.extra fan belt and tools to put a new one on.
4. be sure to have plenty of fuel before you leave.
5. if your car is old, have an extra thermostate and fan belt pulley wheel, and extra radiator cap.
6. some water and radiator fluid.

when i broke down about 100 miles from nowhere, i was wishing i had got the name of some tow trucks in different towns that i'd be passing thru. i got lucky and had a brochure that i had picked up earlier at a truck stop that had a two truck name for that area, he took me back to his shop and put on a new water pump and thermostat which took a few hours to get and put on. if i had had that in my car it wouldnt have took long at all to get going again.

but for sure,, have a jumper battery and whatever you need for flats, and a spare fan belt.

See less See more
#2 ·
Reliable comms on the road has been a life saver for me several times. 2 meter ham repeaters give good coverage over most of the country, but doing the long haul over the road, 40 meters SSB gives transcontinental coverage and you can always find somebody on ECARS, NorthCARS or SouthCARs, GoodSam or the CountyHunters to do a phone patch for you when out of cell coverage.

Only thing better than ham is Iridium if your employer pays for it.

#13 ·
Reliable comms on the road has been a life saver for me several times. 2 meter ham repeaters give good coverage over most of the country, but doing the long haul over the road, 40 meters SSB gives transcontinental coverage and you can always find somebody on ECARS, NorthCARS or SouthCARs, GoodSam or the CountyHunters to do a phone patch for you when out of cell coverage.
Two meters can be dead as a doornail in some places, particularly when you're away from a major city and/or the time is outside of the AM or PM rush hours.

Forty meters is OK for some help, but don't forget that phone patches are dependent on the other station having a "landline" phone and a phone patch - and both are getting rare as hen's teeth.

Only thing better than ham is Iridium if your employer pays for it.
If you're calling your employer, I'd agree, but Iridium's central office is in Costa Rica, and any return call has to be dialed back to that country. Very few people are willing to dial international calls, and AAA will flat-out refuse. Iridium phones are OK for outgoing calls, but if you're calling AAA or anohter road-side service, you'll have to tell them you're using a borrowed cell phone.

HTH.

William Warren

#4 ·
Blown rod bearing. Twice. On two different cars. Blown transmission. Twice. Same car.
Blown timing belt. Left me halfway from home to work. On the coldest day of the year. With a back seat full of leftover booze from a boys weekend.
The usual flat tires, dead battery, overheat, etc. are usually no biggie.
I've driven an endless run of beaters so you get used to diagnosing and fixing stuff on the fly.
I had a semi race 66 Mustang I used to drive to work on occasion years ago. It digested a lifter AND pushrod after an ill advised parking lot burnout. Ran on seven cylinders for quite awhile. Never did find the lifter or pushrod.

#7 ·
This is one of those combination threads that aren't always clear. It sounds like a "what left you stranded?" question, but that's not especially useful because every car and DRIVER are different. Still, it's fun to complain about being stranded.

There's also the "what spares do I need?" thread, but that is invariably polluted with endless lists of parts store inventories, needed or not.

The parts I would stock in my BoV will be very different than the likely parts needed in, say, a poorly maintained 1990 Honda Civic. The former has a few and is quite secure while the latter would need to literally pull a trailer full of likely suspects. It depends on where you're starting from.

It also depends on how you view preventative maintenance. A serpentine belt? No chance. Simply because any serp belt will outlive any 2 or 3 accessories it drives. If you change an alternator and a water pump but DON'T change a serp belt, then yes it will fail. But if you change it every few idler changes, it will never fail -- or at least several other things will fail first.

And it also depends on how deep you want to go. Years ago, i was stranded in Tulsa with a spun bearing in a Toyota. Who would carry such a thing?? But it wasn't the Toyota's fault, it was my overlooking some preventative maintenance. Cars will remind you of that. In fact, that's usually the case.

Unless you keep track of everything you've done to your car, you can't possibly predict what will be needed next to any degree of probability. That's more work than most people want to do. I do it with my BoV, but not with my Daily.

DS

#8 ·
All of my vehicles have spare fluids in them, and I usually keep the old wiper blades and brake pads when I replace them, JIC. I've seen new stuff just self destruct too often to trust it until it's got a few miles on it. Tools, spare fuses and bulbs, some wire, duct tape, JB Weld, silicon sealant, some grease.

No parts. My theory is whatever part you carry will NEVER be the one that breaks, so the best way to make sure nothing breaks is to carry an entire spare car...but that's not practical, so I carry a phone and a credit card. Sometimes it will be a long walk or a long wait to USE those things...but that's how all the best stories start. There I was, 100 miles out in the middle of.....:thumb:

#59 ·
All of my vehicles have spare fluids in them, and I usually keep the old wiper blades and brake pads when I replace them, JIC. I've seen new stuff just self destruct too often to trust it until it's got a few miles on it. Tools, spare fuses and bulbs, some wire, duct tape, JB Weld, silicon sealant, some grease.
:
I do this as well.
Usually, I keep the old parts until the next change and rotate the parts.
Also carry the regular things like window washer fluid, oil, tools, duct tape, etc.

Thanks for this post ajole

#10 ·
Zip ties, hose clamps, electrical tape, duct tape, syphon kit, headlight, hands free light for working.
We have most of the basics mentioned here. Neither of us know enough to work on a car past maintenance but I carry tools and a Chilton for someone who can. We have radiator and gas caps and a fan belt but no fan pulley. I guess we could add one of those if they are not too expensive.

#11 ·
when my serp belt broke, it was due to that wheel pulley that spins on its own but it had bearings in it.. my suv is about 16 years old now and i guess the bearings went out and then it got loose and broke my belt and so i was on the side of the highway, lucky for me i called my friend and he stop by autozone and got me a belt and new pulley wheel (if thats what you call it) and we put it on right there on the side of the road, no big deal as long as you some tools.
moral of the story, replace that pulley wheel if its old, as well as your radiator cap (they rot and leak around the seal and let air bubbles in). glad ya'll reminded me of having spare can of oil and duct tape.

if you can still find one, put a metal coat hanger in your car, you can undo them and open car doors with them or fetch keys left on a seat if the window is cracked.. todays hangers are usually plastic so save a metal one while u can.

#14 ·
Most of the standard maintenance and service items have been listed. Here are some of the things I have carried, or intend to carry when finances allow:

A repair manual (very important)
A replacement starter
A replacement alternator
A replacement A/C compressor
A replacement power steering pump
Pre-flashed computers
At least one extra mounted spare
A set of primary, will not run without, sensors
A set of 'make-do' parts so you can limp home if need be
A set of 'non-specific fix-it parts' such as JB Weld, mechanic's wire, zip ties, electrical wire, connectors, clamps, and things of this nature

Of course, all the necessary tools and specialty items needed to do the replacement. Along with enough replacement consumables for the installation, in addition to the maintenance and service quantities.

The best, and easiest (though more expensive), way to have items that will work is to go ahead and replace the current ones when you know they are working, and have the new ones put in. That way you know the things are going to work. I have had more than one instance when the auto parts store gave the wrong part to me or to the mechanic. This is a good way to upgrade, too. Keep the original parts, as long as they will still fit, else you will have to either keep what it takes to put them back in, or carry a replacement identical part.

Even if you cannot carry all of these parts in the vehicle all the time, try to at least have them at home. Carry them on trips if at all possible, even though that can impact cargo space.

It is extremely important to carry some of these parts with you when travelling, especially when getting away from major metro areas, if you have an unusual, uncommon vehicle that does not use more or less easily available parts. It could take days to get the right part for some vehicles, even during normal times. In a crisis, it could be weeks, or even not at all.

And it is much better to have the right tools, especially specialty tools if at all possible, even if you cannot do the work yourself. A mechanic might not have everything required to do the job. Not to mention, you might be out on the road or in the back country, but a mechanic, even a jack-leg/shade tree mechanic, might be available, and can do the work if you supply everything needed. Including the repair manual.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: Gva
#15 ·
Stranded...

One car caught on fire. Too cold in winter, oil burst out on top of the engine and burned thru spark plug wires. I extinguished fire by throwing snow into the engine bay. Kept the car for several years after that.

Next one had timing chain/tensioner whatever break. Not belt, chain. Sold the car, next guy got a replacement engine.

Then one car had a water hose connector break between engine and firewall. Everything I poured in came right out, so I had it towed to the service.

My current car just had it's alternator break few weeks ago... It did still run but automatic gearbox stopped working so it was towing time again.

Those have happened in almost 25 years timespan so not everything breaks that I touch.

#16 ·
Here is what is currently in the back of my Avalanche

Large footlocker containing
New AC Delco starter and Alternator
New Delphi fuel pump module assembly
1 new front hub assembly
Set of Goodyear belts
Professional tire repair kit
Set of spark plugs
Set of wires

Electrical repair stuff
2 Fluke meters
Clamp ammeter AC/DC
Relays
Fuse kit
Wiring

Fluids
2 gal coolant
6 quarts oil
Oil filter
2 pints brake fluid
1 QT trans fluid
1 gal water

Excellent set of mechanics tools
2 1/2 ton floor jack
5 ton bottle jack
HD jumper cables...long...made from welding cables
Jack stand
Blocks of wood
Jumper / compressor
300w DC / AC inverter
OTC Genesis Scan tool with scope module
Fuel pressure test kit
Snap on Blue point Kv ignition tester
Midtronics battery tester
1/2 torque wrench
3/8 torque wrench
AC Guages R134a
Power Probe 3 Kit

#21 ·
On late 80's and early 90's jeeps, best keep a spare ignition coil handy. I use to keep the special screwdriver to change them in my center console, and could be back on the road again in minutes. But when they're bad, good luck starting the engine on a cold or damp day. (But you can dry one out over heat and get yourself moving again if you have to.)

#22 ·
Maintain your vehicle properly. Replace belts, hoses, and battery whether they need it or not when they are at the end of a typical service life. Flush and refill the cooling system every few years. Check your tire pressure and oil level periodically.

I carry a good tire plug kit. good tool set, spark gap tester, and code reader. A LION jump pack, a RYOBI tire inflator, and a 12V cig plug type tire inflator.
Learn where your spare tire is and practice lowering it if it is hung under the vehicle.
Check the tire pressure in the spare when you drop it. Trying to figure this out in the dark on the side of the road is not the way to go. I don't carry fix a flat in a can. If I want to ruin my tire I will simply stab it with a knife.

Spare fuses and a multimeter are a good idea.

A spare qt of oil and trans fluid are good to carry. Some cars like my honda require a special setup to remove the transmission fluid fill plug. basically a a big breaker bar and about an 18 inch socket extension. Even then, you have to really pull to loosen that plug. Sounds like a gun going off when it breaks free. the typical socket set one carries will not do the job.

For the love of all that is holy, if your fan belt is squeeling, or something is howling under the hood, check it out, don't just keep driving.

AAA membership with extended tow mileage and trailer coverage if you tow a trailer.

Carry a good 4 way tire wrench and I usually have a second better jack in the vehicle along with a couple tire blocks, warning triangles, a bright area lantern, couple flshlights, a high vis safety vest.

Jumper cables of course, battery wrench and a little wire brush. Parts retrieval grabber. I carry mine next to the driver's seat. Something is always falling between the seats. In the driver's console always carry a flashlight, and a winshield snapper punch in case you end up in the water in a flood. Flip flops for your feet as well if you have to get out in high water. Prybar is useful if you have an accident and need to bend the fender away from the wheel if it is drivable.

Duct tape, JB weld, Aircraft wire, hose clamps, mirror superglue, a mover's blanket, hack saw, some ignition wire, long tow strap with hooks, a coat and gloves, spare overalls and sweatshirt.

Things that have stopped me on the road:

Tire blowout (looked like the tire was shot in the side by a rifle) and simple tire punctures.

Transmission fluid low and torque convertor wouldn't spin the wheels.

Battery cable loose (on a brand new Honda). I guess the cable is removed for shipment, and needs to be attached and tightened by the dealer. they screwed up the dealer prep on mine.

Corroded battery terminal.

Dead battery on another 1 yr old Honda. go figure. At least it did it when I was trying to leave an autoparts store of all places (just buying some fuel injector cleaner). 2 minutes later had a new battery and was back on the road.

water pump seized on an old Ford E-150 conversion van and wrecked an engine. (I tried to drive out of a 1 lane jersey barrier construction zone. barely cleared it when the engine seized.).

Stuck in slippery mud in a low spot.
Stuck in beach sand. A helpful Canadian fellow pulled me out with a tow rope.
Stuck in a flyash pond (It looked like a beautiful asphalt parking lot. (it wasn't a parking lot. It was a 2 ft deep goo pit)
Stuck in a flash flood and destroyed the car engine. Apparently water is incompressible. :)
Completely destroyed a tire and wheel in a client's parking lot. They had a bizarre hole in their parking lot resembling a Burmese tiger trap.

Had my van simply stall and go dead in the 80's on a road going past a K Mart auto center. I yelled out the window to the mechanic, he said "wait right there, I know what it is".
1 minute later he trots out and attaches a wire from the engine to the frame. Started right up. Fixed. he wouldn't take my money. He was so happy he could fix it so easily. That's what America used to be. Not anymore.

I am still that way. Several times someone had a car that was stuck because they had a corroded battery terminal or a couple times someone had a vehicle stuck in park.. I volunteer to look at it, fix it quickly. And every time I reflexively thanked them. Walking away I always wondered why I thanked them. I guess because it makes you feel good.

#23 ·
My '87 4runner's alternator crapped out in St George, Utah with a snow storm coming. I was driving from CA back to Salt Lake, and had stopped at my Grandma's house in Hesperia to pick up some boxes of stuff I had left there the year before. Amazingly, one of those things was a good used 22re alternator from another old Toyota I had had. Swapped it in a gas station parking area. Toyota manual (which I had) said you had to drain the coolant. Well, if you're strong and you push on the lower radiator hose real hard, you can squeeze the alt past. I had very little money so I would have been stuck there with my 15yo brother. Pretty much as close to a miracle as I've ever experienced.

#24 ·
Another time I was driving from Iowa to California in my '71 LeMans. I was carrying a spare for nearly every swappable part on that car. Spun a rod bearing in the 455 in Nebraska(nearly to Wyoming, again with a big snowstorm coming). The $1100 in my bank account and my laptop saved me. Rented a U haul and trailer. The next day I drove up into the mountains through an ice storm, in the dark. When I made it to my sister's in Bountiful, UT I felt like I'd had a couple heart attacks and couldn't stop shaking. That U-Haul was all over the place.

#27 ·
It was all going great till....

...the transfer case input gear came off the transmission output shaft.

That sucked.

That is a hard one to diagnose in the dark during a rain storm on a muddy road. Lesson learned.

When I converted this old Willys to a 'granny' gear 4-spd transmission the output shaft changed slightly. The original 3spd had a castle nut and cotter key retaining system. The new transmission used a more modern Nylon lock-nut. Nylon lock nuts are only good to about 220F. I am pretty sure the transfer case runs hotter than that on the highway buzzing along at 3100rpm for hours. After about 5 years and a LOT of wheeling, and highway miles on the old girl, the nut backed completely off and the gear walked off the shaft. By some miracle it fell down in the top of the transfer case and didn't hurt a thing. The nut however got a little chewed up.

My solution. I made sure I have the proper socket for this large nut in the tool bag. I also threw two spare nuts in the parts bag. During reassembly I cleaned everything and added a little red loctite onto the threads. I will probably try and check it about once a year through the PTO port....

#29 ·
I just got my renewal in the mail. I plan to renew. Thankfully I've havent had to use it. Its like any insurance, it better to have it and NOT need it.

I've had AAA for 2 years. If you drive older vehicles, it will eventullay pay off. I have the premiere plan, which gives me one 200 mile tow, and IIRC three 100 mile tows annually. Most wreckers charge a hook fee then milage, so If your car is getting grumpy, that alone will save you at least a grand over a year.

If you're in the middle of a road trip, and your car craps the bed, they will also bring a rental to you, with the first day being free.

There are a lot if benifits people forget about like...

Lock out sevices

Fuel delivery 5 gals

Free passport pics

Free paper maps

AAA discounts on hotels, flights, and car rentals.

Also don't forget your AAA benifits follow you, so if a friend or family member is having car issue, you just call AAA for them.

My Chrysler is going on 22 years old. Its the largest fwd chrysler ever made. The inside and outside looks new, and its like driving a leather couch down the road. I still drive this ol beast cross country, and it has never let me down. When time catches up with it, AAA will foot the bill
for towing.

Sent from a Galaxy far far away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.