Survivalist Forum banner

Yes or no?

137K views 27 replies 26 participants last post by  almac 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I'm about ready to buy this:

http://www.hyattgunstore.com/howa-5-1-308-win.-w-green-synthetic-stock-scope-rings.html

For $580 plus tax

I would add:
Box magazine extender - from 5+1 to 8+1
Harris bipod
Pop-up lens covers
good sling
Stock ammo holder - 5 rounds with flap that covers rounds

I don't have a large caliber long-range rifle, and I'm thinking of this one to get me started and learn the skills.

Please post opinions and/or experience on it.

See less See more
#2 ·
I believe you can get a Savage with a accutrigger for less. I do not own one, but my buddy has one in a 30-06 and he loves it!! Good luck either way!

Reactions: bayez and sachson
#6 ·
Howa is the riflemans best kept secret.They are outstanding rifles for productions.And by longrange i hope you mean 500+ meters.Id think about maybe a 300wsm it works a little better as far as wind calculations etc..308 is at the end of its trajectory at 1000 meters.However if this is going to be your shtf gun go with .308 as that is what all military and nato use so it would be more available in the shtf situation.

#8 ·
Howas is seriously the best kept secret in the firearm world. I got mine on a black friday sale for 299.00. It's in .30-06. I love that rifle. My friend has a rem 700 SPS tactical. And always get to shoot both. I would take mine over his 700 anyday. When we have little shooing competitions at the range I always seem to pull tighter groups (I think his is a 18" barrel and mines a 24"). But I doubts it's the rifle though; it has to be my impecible shooing skills lol.

#9 ·
Howa's are great rifles...just not many gunsmiths work on the since they use metric threads = more difficult to rebarrel...there are some aftermarket stocks for Howa's as well.

Savage has more in the aftermarket department and best part is you can do most of these things yourself.

If it was my money, the Savage line wins...not including the Axis/Edge line of Savages.

#14 ·
I have a Weatherby Vanguard(same as Howa) 30-06. It is my third Vanguard, and they are very good rifles.

In my first two, I replaced the triggers with Timneys. My current one has an excellent stock trigger.

That being said, I would vote no. I would buy the Howa without the scope. You should be able to get one between $300-$400. Top it with a better scope and rings.

#15 ·
My Vanguards have been good rifles Have a new poly-stock one, 308. Factory stock needs replacement. Hogue OM, Ramline, Boyds walnut or laminate, or high end Bell and Carson medalist with full aluminum bedding... Add a good scope AWESOME

$500+ new OK Used? Overpriced Unless a real nice scope...

Howa 1500 Same as Smith and Wesson 1500 or Weatherby Vanguard- hand select... And made in Japan My old Vanguard by Howa is better quality than newer Vangaurd. But most guns are...

#18 ·
Howa, Savage and Remington all make great bolt action rifles. I would go with one in .308 and use maybe a 10 power scope on it. I would zero the rifle with high quality or match grade ammo if possible.

Another option would be to locate a scope that has a range tracking system to it. As in an ART or MART scope from former military use. ART = Automatic Range Tracking and MART = Military Automatic Range Tracking system. What this basically is would be the distance between 2 reticles measures a certain number of inches. You adjust the scope until that reticle pattern is the right size on the target you intend to shoot. Let's say you have an 18 inch pattern. You aim on the left side of a deer or feral hog, adjust the scope until the pattern is right and then place your cross hair where you want the bullet to strike. That was how the range tracking system of scopes were used.

#19 ·
You won't be sorry you got it if that's what you want but I bet your bipod ends up on the back of the top closet shelf gathering dust like mine did. I like the 20" barrel and I while I prefer looking at pretty wood at home it's different when I am in the woods. I prefer not having to worry about rain warp and sun damage to the wood. My Weatherby 300 Mag is built by Howa and I couldn't be happier, well I could if ammo was cheaper:D:. It just amazes me they do such quality work with firearms and will sell to anybody except their own people, oh well so it goes.

#20 ·
Howa, you've come a long way since the Ariska baby. I here the Japanese make good guns now. It does seem heavy for what it is. I don't like the stock, and I now want iron sight on all my rifles. More utility. I think I would pass and either look at the Savage or a Tikka.

#21 ·
Howa review on SniperCentral is a good read:

http://www.snipercentral.com/howa.htm

There is also a page of other good rifle reviews:

http://www.snipercentral.com/rifles.htm

I'm partial to the Savage!
Currently own a 10 FCP HS Precision(.308) with a 10x scope, hand load 168gr Sierra Match HPBT's and to quote Doc Brown, "It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen! And it's pointed straight at your head!" Its that good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.