Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can Kids Contribute During a Disaster? AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 05-18-2017 09:30 PM
Kids hanging out at work?!? zuren General Discussion 57 03-23-2017 07:09 AM
We had a manhunt for 3 kids who were missing from their home last night tokwan General Discussion 19 02-28-2017 10:16 AM
LAPD off duty threatened by kids tedlovesjeeps71 General Discussion 172 02-26-2017 06:39 PM
Obama Releases 220 Illegal Alien Kids PER DAY Creek Walker General Discussion 2 01-03-2017 11:22 AM

Old 06-20-2017, 01:26 PM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOpie View Post
besides a whistle, what else on their person?

glow stick (for emergency only), mylar blanket... anything else that would be good to have them their body (belt, necklace) at all times? (not stuff for their backpack.)
At the time nothing else as they were too little to get to far with out me noticing. Now that they are older, I let them get farther away as long as they have their camelbacks with them. In their camelbacks they both carry.

Whistle,
Mylar banket,
Swiss explore knife (youngest, about to start middle school) or ESEE 6 (oldest, about to start high school)
1st aid kit,
Mini-bic lighter with 2 fire tabs in a small zip lock,
Snacks,
Sunscreen
Bug spray
and a flashlight

But the same rule if they get lost still applies, sit tight and signal.

This summer my oldest wants to start backpacking so I'll teach her how to read a map and compass, pace counts, shooting an Az, plotting a course, terrain association and reading a grid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lazarusrat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 01:30 PM
Deplorable

Thanked 6,888 Times in 3,008 Posts

PBJ and crackers. no way they'll go four-five hours without eating.

+1 on magnifier, bug / bird books, maybe tree/leaf books. you're in nature so make the most of it.

cheap little flashlights. they can scan the trees at night.

puzzle book(s) in case it rains.

smore kit with skewers.

don't let them out of site. shockingly easy for ones that age to wander.

some campers want to leave all the tech behind. a cheap digital camera and laptop lets them record their adventure and see their pics, even without internets. they can facebook (or whatever) when back to civilization.

Last edited by Sailorsam; 06-20-2017 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: add useful info
Old 06-20-2017, 02:56 PM

Default Kids

This may be a little off your topic. My kids. I setup a small mountain tent in my den. Let the kids play in it for months. We slept in it on the weekends. Then I moved it to the backyard. We played in it, napped in it, and slept in it on the weekends. On our first big trip, camping was so old school, they never missed a beat. I always brought, colors and sketch books for playing in the tent. They have natures playground outside the tent. Get their own headlamp etc if can.. helps on familiarity.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oaty For This Useful Post:

Old 06-20-2017, 03:14 PM
Forester

Thanked 9,583 Times in 4,723 Posts

Kids need to learn to play with sticks and rocks and shells and fish. Bringing all of their stuff from home just distracts them from Nature.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ppine For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 04:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,517 Times in 1,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Kids need to learn to play with sticks and rocks and shells and fish. Bringing all of their stuff from home just distracts them from Nature.
Makes you wonder what the point of camping is if you bring "home" with you.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:08 PM
Certified Organic Grower

Thanked 9,918 Times in 3,157 Posts

I've been car camping near a couple who decided to bring the entire toys-r-us collection with them.
It looked like a freaking yard sale.

When my kids were tiny tots:
Good pair of shoes, small backpack, and a small water container for each kid.
We would find a good walking staff for each along the way, and allow our surrounding environment provide the distractions.
Worked like a charm each and every time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeftCoast Grower For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 08:23 PM
Hunter

As camping director for a cub scout pack ( 1st thru 5th grades) the last 3 years, just a few recommendations, if Car Camping

Favorite : pillow, stuffed animal, good tasting food, plenty of snacks, water, tent, air mattress, if camping at a state Park get the Jr. Ranger book. Be sure that they have Fun and are comfortable.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:58 PM
King of Canada

Thanked 5,892 Times in 1,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast Grower View Post
I've been car camping near a couple who decided to bring the entire toys-r-us collection with them.
It looked like a freaking yard sale.

When my kids were tiny tots:
Good pair or shoes, small backpack, and a small water container for each kid.
We would find a good walking staff for each along the way, and allow our surrounding environment provide the distractions.
Worked like a charm each and every time.
We don't have a vehicle, so we never go car camping.

We have been taking our children into the bush since they were 3 months and 6 months old.

We do all the same things as you listed.

We carry all our gear in/out, my son (3 1/2) will walk most of the way; we let him take brakes of course. Our daughter (1 1/2) is usually in a baby babypack/chest thing.

Sticks, stones, looking for animals/tracks, picking the raspberries, blueberries and strawberries that grow everywhere up here. I taught my son which are strawberries and raspberries, I would get him to go pick a bunch and bring them to me to check; he learned fast.

I bought a cheap pair of binoculars ($20) from Cabela's for myself, but ended up giving them to my son. He loves looking for birds with them.

My son likes to feed the squirrels various fruits and nuts from the trail mix. Which is good, he'll fatten them up and I'll hunt them.

He helps me to build the shelter, he'll wear safety glasses and stay out of my way while I'm chopping wood, or pass me the bankline when I need it.

Our longest outing was 5 days, no resupply. We are what we found/caught and some of what we brought.

My kids love the outdoors, they beg to go outside and play; even in the rain or -55c and I will always oblige. We have done some winter outings at -55c and all of us had a great time.

We don't bring toys for them, or anything.

I'm lucky to be blessed with two nature loving children.

Maybe it's because I "baptized" them in a terrific thunderstorm and asked the gods of the wilderness to bless them. I don't know, but it worked.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeavyHauler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 12:03 AM
Hiker

A proper attitude and realistic expectations for both you and the kids. Make it fun so they want to go back again. Think like a kid as you plan.

Flashlight(s) because the dark can be scary. More than one because the batteries will go dead or they will get lost.

Hygiene stuff because pooping in the woods is messier than at home for a kid. Besides, there is not a sink handy for them to not use to not wash there hands like they don't do at home.

Any good idea you see here take more than one because it will get lost in the wilderness.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,625 Times in 974 Posts

Speaking of cheap binos, Bushnell power view binos have a $15 rebate till June 22. The 8x21 are available from 15-20. Not great but I got one for free, goes to a nephew.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 01:23 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 10,442 Times in 3,764 Posts

All my adult life I have "prospected" for valuable minerals, ranging from placer gold, PM minerals, rare earths, gemstones, base metals, industrial minerals, etc.

Have staked mining claims over many, proved some up & sold them @ significant profit. Others I kept & profitably mined.

So my children grew up camping at, near or around various mineral deposits in off grid areas in Alaska & the western United States.

My children have hundreds of pounds of all sorts of valuable minerals (including ounces of placer gold), gemstones, etc., in their collections they gathered themselves, as do my grandchildren now.

Research the area where you might camp for placer gold deposits, gemstones, agates, crystals, geodes, etc. If there is anything like that in the area you might camp in? All it takes is a rock hammer, gold pan, small sluice box, pick & shovel to get a start gold panning, gemstone hunting, rock hounding, etc.

Kids love hunting for those sorts of things outdoors, because it's like a "treasure hunt".
All it takes is a few "finds" & they will be wanting to go again & again.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:48 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
Kids love hunting for those sorts of things outdoors, because it's like a "treasure hunt".
All it takes is a few "finds" & they will be wanting to go again & again.
I had a girlfriend that used this trick on me when we went to the mall shopping. My aunt's birthday is next month and she really likes turtles. See if you can find one while I try on these clothes. So I am busy scouring the mall for turtles instead of standing around bored to death holding her purse. Of course I never did find the right turtle but the "treasure hunt" trick worked and I fell for it more than once. The good part was she looked hot in the clothes she bought.
The Following User Says Thank You to KittySlayer For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 06:39 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,813 Times in 507 Posts

Bring stuff to make it fun for them so they want to learn about nature and will want to go back. Also suggest making memorable camping foods like s'mores, camp fire pies, or dutch oven cobbler.