Survivalist Forum banner

Are Solar Panels damaged by Solar Flares?

17K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  andrew_paul111 
#1 ·
I'm Kinda New to The whole solar Panel thing. But it seems to me that if these panels are exposed to the atmosphere that they would or could be effected by the Solar Flares CME things.
I'm pretty well set now with every possiblity in whatever SHTF throws at me. and now I'm prepping for the Toys to keep myself entertained when not working or maybe while working. So I'm Thinking that I need a little Free energy. Before I make the Leap into buying some type of system , I want to explore "all" the possibilties. We Have a lot of steady wind here where I live and that may be another option. I heard thru reading on other sites that there are ways to protect wind turbines from solar activity, but none for solar panels....
anybody have experiance with this issue? Thanks

#2 ·
I've never read that they are.

I teach in the renewable energy area; solar PV is part of the curriculum. I've never heard of solar panels being susceptible to solar flares, and I believe I would have run across that if it were the case--especially since I look at things like that through the lens of prepping and survivalism.

Now, what that means, if it's true, is that none of the panels have been fried by any solar flares/CMEs that have happened since the advent of such panels. If we received a CME equivalent in magnitude to the Carrington Event in 1859, well, I have no information on that.

FWIW: If I had solar panels, I wouldn't worry about a normal solar flare. If I knew a Carrington Event scale CME was coming, I'd disconnect everything I could and wait it out, placing any of the equipment I could inside Faraday cages.

#3 ·
I had thought that they wouldn't be totally destroyed, but possibly be damaged in some way that the collection capabilities would be diminished.
I remember seeing the older panels that had non UV covers on them that were so faded that it lower the collection rate.

#5 ·
I don't think the modules would be damaged. My PV system took a direct hit by lightning and other than blown out diodes the modules were fine. If the solar flare provides more irradiance you will simply produce more than the nameplate specs on the module, but will not damage it. If it really over produces you may blow a fuse. This is assuming you have your system installed correctly with over current protection.

#6 ·
Interesting thread! Actually, I was thinking about this very topic last night. But my concern was...would my portable solar panel system survive an EMP event? I'm thinking that the main vulnerability would probably be the charge controller. So I intend to take the original box that my solar panels came in, and wrap it in aluminum foil, to make an expedient Faraday cage for it. I don't have solar panels on my roof or anything...just a 200 watt folding panel, (similar to the one below), to charge a set of deep cycle batteries. I don't really need to use the panels or the batteries, until TSHTF...and I can always charge my batteries with an AC charger, for a simple power outage. I just want to make sure that my panels are there...AND operational when I really need them.

Zulu Cowboy

#7 ·
I just bought another set of Harbor Freight panels, 3 15 watters and controller. I intend to just put the whole set in a 55 gal drum for a faraday cage and store it. If I ever have to use it, it will be a far cry from the power I have now, but it will allow me to keep batteries charged for handi talkies and LED lights and other very handy lite use stuff.

#9 ·
What I have read, is it is not the panels you have to worry about, but the Charge controller...Just make sure your system has a good earth ground. I have my Charge Controller hooked up by quick disconnects, and can have it caged up in a couple of minutes...Same for the inverter...Since we usually get several hours notice, I have plenty of time. Now an EMP...Panels should survive, but the other components will be toast. I already have a spare inverter, and the controller is on the buy list...But that's about $500. Being poor folk, that will take a while, as life sometimes get's in the way of prepping.

#14 ·
Solar flares can not affect PV panels, either by power or ultraviolet/IR energy. The energy from flares are mostly attenuated by the earth's magnetic field, than the atmosphere further reduces its power. If some power is left over, it is greatly diminished. However, if you have a long wire, like a power transmission line of several hundred miles long or more, then its one massive antenna and it will pick the residual power and in some case, enough of it to fry transformers down the line. Lui

#15 ·
Short answer is no. Long answer ... no

Reactions: Lui
#20 ·
So I'm Thinking that I need a little Free energy. Before I make the Leap into buying some type of system , I want to explore "all" the possibilities. We Have a lot of steady wind here where I live and that may be another option.
Jmtc, but if "this" is the main theme of your interest, PV solar is the wrong place to look. Listening to a interview w/ Steven Harris a couple of weeks ago on TSP, he stated that solar is the 2nd most expensive kind of power -the 1st being "none". ;)
The cost breakdown/ROI was amazing, about $2000 per Kw. It's would take over 30 years for the system to pay for itself if the batteries didn't wear out and have to be replaced every 10 years or so, which they do.:(

However - it is better than none at all in an EOTWAKI scenario. :xeye:

But if you're looking to live a better life today, as well as being ready for a crappy tomorrow, you could probably use passive solar more effectively for heating your water & living space rather than electrical power, and then use those cost savings to invest in an alternate power source like a windmill or genset.
Check out http://www.solar1234.com/ for more info

Best of luck whatever you choose. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.