Survivalist Forum banner

�Hurricane Sandy� vs. �A Long Island Jew� --

241K views 953 replies 164 participants last post by  Ankylus 
#1 ·
“Hurricane Sandy” vs. “A Long Island Jew” --

Hurricane --- One :thumb:

Jew --- Zero :rolleyes:

Lessons learned - relearned or remembered -

You never have enough -- You think you do -- but you don’t -- the item in stock is as fragile as the item it replaces - Murphy -- is that you.

If you are stupid enough to buy a home in a flood zone - don’t come pizzing & moaning to me -- I’m a moron to !

Don’t leave half your canned food stock in the basement - bring them “All” up.

Don’t leave all your toilet paper in the basement - when it gets wet - it doesn’t work as well - but makes one hell of a spit ball.

2 liter water bottles filled to the brim -- will float.

“Tools” - don’t float - except for wooden concrete floats - ironic.

And neither does a oil fired furnace ( I closed off the outside vent tube to the tank and the valve to the burner ) / clothes dryer / washing machine - but they did move a bit.

After sealing up all the little cracks I found over the years --- I found new ones - even a water feature I didn’t know I had

Jalousie basement windows are useless - and should be replaced with portholes.

All your neighbors suck -- All your neighbors suck --- “ALL YOUR NEIGHBORS SUCK” :mad:

One block over, a “rocket scientist” had his generator running in his garage with some stored gas -- more on that later :rolleyes:

You never have enough stored gas !

A neighbors 30’ Crisscraft in his driveway up on cinder blocks --- “will” be your new lawn or door ornament

Outside fuel oil tanks --- float.

The “EmerGen” manual transfer switch you installed next to your fuse box - will not work under 6’ of water ( Note to self - move transfer box to main floor )

80 year old women can’t tread water very well - but 87 year old men bob nicely :eek:

“Neighbors Suck” :mad:

So about 10:pM - I moved Wifey and her Jeep to higher ground --- I’m wading back through waist deep water ( I’m 6’ ) and my ass is wet ! So I figure what the hell -- this is a great time to “Wiz” -- Then coming toward me is a 30-ish year old guy - with a life-vest on - trying to hold up his mother ( no life vest ) - with not one word spoken I grabbed her and spun her around and grabbed one arm -- sonny grabbed the other and we floated her to Montauk Hwy. I said -- I’ll see you tomorrow and headed back.

Now the water is a little higher and there’s 50 MPH smoke and ash blowing in my eyes - I’m being pelted with walnut sized glowing cinders in the face ( where did I put my shooting glasses ? ) I get to my house - the main floor is 10” from taking on water - I already have the indoor pool I always wanted - but its filled with appliances and “tools” -- I gotta do something about that :rolleyes:

All the homes across the street ( canal side ) have water halfway up their front doors. I take both cats and jam them into one cat box ( I bet they loved that ) and headed back to higher ground. I looked up at my next door neighbor’s house to see their silhouettes at their second floor window. Do I hear -- “Gary -- you OK” -- “Gary - do you need help” ? --- Nope !

I wanted to hear -- “Gary - will you come back for us - if the water gets higher” -- “NOPE” !!!!!

( And this guy is a EMT for New York City Columbia Presbyterian Hospital --- and he chose to stay in his house with his wife and two kids )

“Dumb Neighbors Suck” :mad:

75 yards up the street is Wifey’s cousins house -- 50 feet-ish from the main road. One of the Deer Park Fire Dept. stump jumper trucks is parked on their lawn with a 12’ zodiac - backed up to the front door. Kenny ( 57 yrs. ) , Terri ( Wifey’s cousin ) are in already and they’re trying to put 87 yrs. old Ed into the boat -- lets see --- let the cats drown or help the 5 firemen ? ---- A Joke !

I said to Terri -- “I’ll tell Squeaky - you’re ok” -- she just stared at me - all bug-eyed :eek:

Ever try to sleep in a Jeep Grand Cherokee - the wind hollowing - smoke - sirens - a snoring wife and two screaming cats -- so I thought I’d be a nice guy and let them out of the box -- they both crapped in the back --- more on that later -- maybe not

The next morning at daylight -- docks in the street / fuel oil tanks in the street / boats jammed up against houses / on the next street over - one house burned to the water line --- setting fire to the house next door - the town came with two pay-loaders and pushed the houses into one big smoldering pile. I heard in Queens County - ( Breezy Point ? ) --- 100 houses in a row - burned

Some people returned with their pick-up trucks with their fridge - washer - dryers and microwaves ---- very smart

And the two best --- there’s a house with two lawn screws used to hold the family dog with a yellow rope over the roof of the south facing porch ( brilliant ) ---- and another guy goes to his house - pulls out the garden hose with the back and fourth sprinkler and waters his lawn --- Priorities -- Priorities ?

Me - I went out for more gas before the lines started --- and took a nap

Day Two -

As the neighbors trickle back in -- they start to clean their front yards - “Priorities and Appearances”

Except for large chunks of decks and stuff I can’t leaf-blow away -- I’ll still wait for the last leaf on the trees to fall before I clean the yard --- inside is a little more important now ;)

Gas lines are way longer than the 70’s - I odometer-ed one at 3 miles long :eek:

Looting -

Started the next morning - in North Amityville and Copiague. Then into Lindenhurst - in broad daylight “They” would just walk into any totally destroyed house. Wifeys cousin Terri’s ex-husband is a Suffolk cop --- He said their writing down address’s during the day - and going shopping at night. ( And Uncle Ed is fine ) :thumb:

I moved the Jeeps to the picture window side of the house - they both have locking gas caps which should slow them down just enough for me to get Mossy pointed out the window for one warning blank shot ----- just “ONE”

After it cooled - I moved the genny into the kitchen -- zipped bagged the 5 gal. gas cans and moved them inside as well. I’ll have a better way - next time.

The gas company came by and turned off and locked all the house meter’s - till the street lines are blown out and pressured tested - then all home owners have to show a plumbers certificate of safety before they’ll take the fancy lock off the meter’s. I can see it now -- “Yep - you had the forethought to shut off the dryer and disconnected it - as well as the hot water heater - “You were Prepared“ ------- $200 DOLLARS Please” :mad:

There’s a guy I drive past every so often in town - we wave “Hello” - today he and his young son were holding the lawn mower up side down draining the gas into a big salad bowl -- He said he got up at 5:AM to look for gas - the lines were a mile long --- “IF” they had any :eek:

I said -- “No stored gas - canned food” ? -- “I’ll drive to my mothers in Brooklyn for dinner tonight - my father might have some gas” ? ---- “What if your parents don’t live forever ---- when will you ever be prepared to take care of your own family” ?

Then for some reason he asked ----- “Are you one of those Prepper’s” ? As I drove away I just said --- “Do you see me all bug-eyed and stressed out” :thumb:

We went to the closest school - there’s a FEMA trailer set up --- “it’s a Mad House” We registered the day before and got our claim #

Around 2:AM I spoke with two “kids” ( I was young once -- I don’t remember ) in a brand spanking new HUMVE - from The Westhampton Rescue group ??? --- they said a few blocks over the looters are popping holes in gas tanks and breaking into abandon houses .

About 30 minutes later I spoke with cop on Montauk Hwy. --- they drive down the street in a pick-up or van - radio blasting - two guys get out with flash lights looking for metal on the curb ( look at us ) ---- then one or two more dressed in black go to the rear - break in - then the second floor T/V’s - then the stuff go’s out to the curb ---- “Salvage”

Day 3 --

Volunteer kids from the high school / church groups / fire depts. are coming down the streets with blankets - water - food stuffs --- working they way to the bay --- I spoke to a few of the priests and captains and asked -- “Why aren’t you-all starting at the end of the streets -- those people “HAVE NOTHING” !! - then come up here ? -- ( no answers )

Remember the Neighbors that were watching Wifey and I walk in the waist high water ----------- they run out taking any “FREE” stuff they can get 20 minutes later out of my back window I see their barbeque going and hear one kid say ---- “This sandwich we just got from the fire dept. truck -- is stale” ----”Just throw it in the garbage --- here your hamburger is ready”

“Neighbors Suck” :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'll post up photos and vids later --

--but in closing ---

“Neighbors Suck” :mad::mad::mad::mad:

See less See more
#729 ·
See you could live in Middle of the Island like I do and not worry about flooding. though we did go without electricity for almost two weeks as they thought our street had been turned back on. Problem with Centereach is no beach front property and too many Freeloaders.
My first Wife was certified Nuts, she would get drunk and think of me as one of the bad guys in the Novel she was reading at the time. I wouldn't stay home when that was happening. I would get home from Work and I would here her call me some strange name and I would just get back in car and go over to friends house. LOL

#731 ·
The pictures remind me of something after Alicia in the early 80s. When a storm with a big storm surge comes through, it can drastically change the seabed. This can change tidal and flooding patterns. (Also wiped out one of my sweetest honey holes for fishing.) after these big storms, it's always interesting waiting to see how things have changed. This might be your new pattern for particularly high tides.

This is one of mynfavorite threads. I have learned a lot. Thank you.

#741 ·
Sounds like your living amid, what the Wolf of Wall St would call, a Waspish Stronghold! LOL.

You could write a book about your neck of the woods, especially with the big flood that occured.

Check out my book writing thread and get those fingers typing out a few chapters...

#742 ·
On 31 / Mar / 2014 -ish I found this house --

A few days later --- this ---

This has got to be a record here --

Not pre-fab - all stick framed -- but with a canal 100' down the street -- they only went up about 20" ??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't walk on others property without permission -- but from the street I can see straight through the house -- they redid the siding / windows - but the house is still gutted and empty --

#744 ·
File under "For Future Reference, If Needed":

Found on the "This Old House" website -- 10 uses for old charcoal:

#10: Place a few chunks in a nylon [like a knee-hi, just check with the female owner on which one to take first ;) ] and put the knee-hi in your tool box to absorb moisture. Reduces the oxidation/rust. :)

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,20336142_20725834,00.html

I think those tools are beyond redemption, Rice. :(

#749 ·
I did have time to take a hand full of wrenches and one new-ish power drill and put them in a bucket of fresh water for a day or two ----- the wrenches - dried - sprayed down with carburetor cleaner then saturated with WD-40 ---- they're fine :thumb:

The drill - I totally disassembled down to the last nut & screw - fresh water / carb-cleaner / elect. contact cleaner / white grease the gears --- it still works today :thumb:

I would / should have done all of them -- but I was a just a wee-bit busy ---- with everything else :mad:

And when, the Bay went back where it belonged's --- it took a week for the basement to drain back far enough to use the regular pump that's down there :xeye:

#750 ·
100 years a go - I had the first and only boat I'll ever own ( not counting the bug out boat ) -- kids went through the marina - pulling the drain plugs -- about 50 were sitting on the bottom in the morning :mad:

I called my buddy with the Father who had a out-board repair shop --- "Get it here as fast as you can" :eek:

The first thing he did - was to take my 55hp Evinrude and drop it in a tank of fresh water --- he dissembled everything ---- the only part that couldn't be saved was one of the magnet coils in the bottom end ( select-shift - then a $90. part :mad: ) - it ran better after that ;)

#752 ·
I don't -- yet -- maybe -- kinda -- 33% -- over here it called - "Waffle-ing" --

If ? - I do a small-ish boat -- and -- move offa this rock -- that's one more thing to deal with / unload later - no pun intended :D:

But that doesn't mean I cant shop - search for a 1/2 way descent deal and pre-plan -- maybe :thumb:

For that "porpoise" I'd look for sump-in like this --

( one of the boat-nicks near me )

#754 ·
Would the missus let you bundle her into a boat with all the gear and set sail for new lands I wonder?

In my sequel book to Mountain Hold a few New Yorker types flee to New Hampshire via boats where the scene is set for big things later...

#757 ·
Remember - "Rob" - who had 5' of water in his living room --- started to disassemble his house by hand -- when all his copper piping was exposed --- they stole it :mad:

The town gave him a hard time about stacking his house on the curb 2 days after the towns cut off date for free pick-up ---- then he had to pay for dumpsters to haul it away -- :mad: :mad:

Well -- his new house is being delivered Wednesday from Pennsylvania --- and he needs to remove his chain-link fencing --- I have a farm jack that's doing nothing on the hood of the YJ --- Soooooooooooooo why not help a classic - "antisemitic" ;)
( where hes standing -- the bay was about his shoulder level :eek: )

I'll try to post up a few pics of the house -- dropping :D:

He wasn't 20 minutes into it --- when one of the local scum was there looking to score the scrap metal -- guy on the left :mad:

Someone had a flooded out trailer -- he stripped it all out - and donated it to the local kids soccer team for storage --- :thumb:

Another good thing --

"We" -- keep a close eye on the county planted - "child molesters" :mad:

One of them lived here :mad: Canal back view --

One of my buddys told me to check out his house the other week :rolleyes:

The street view :thumb:

Now we have to wait for the - "Megan's Law" site to up-date :rolleyes:

#758 · (Edited)
Sooooooooooooooo -- :D:

I'm trying to sleep last night -- 2:AM - I thought the FEMA vans were coming down the street to snatch everybody :mad:

Just a house passing by :eek:

6:AM - they started :thumb:

The first time I've seen a smile on Robs face in about a year and a half ;)

"Is that my bedroom Daddy" ? --

And the happy - happy - family ---- is --------------------

Side note --

One of our local politicians ( gun grabber :mad: ) was there -- never let a photo-op go to waste :mad:

He remembered me from a few town meetings ---- he wouldn't come near me :xeye:

P/S - Robs house before --

#759 ·
All full headed nails used - no clipped heads -- full sized lumber 2 X 4's not 2 X 3"'s -- no finger-jointed crap anyplace I could see - major beams glued & screwed -- 5/8th's OSB exterior walls -- 3/4 OSB roof sheeting -- house wrap -- no electrical butt connectors - all to be hard wired together --

Looks like a well made product --

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.