Survivalist Forum banner

Edible plants

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  charliemeyer007 
#1 ·
What is the best source (book or download PDF) that has full color photos that I can carry into the woods of Mississippi to learn about edible and poisonous plants. Some plants are obvious to me, but in a desperate situation we may be bugging out or trying to get back home and need food.

Thanks, Randle

#3 ·
Couple of books out there:

Edible Plants of the Gulf South

+

National Audubon Society Regional Field Guide to the Southeastern States: Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North/South Carolina

Also consult your local organization, such as a Fish/Wildlife Department or Environmental Conservation, most states have something like that. Go to a local library and ask for the shelf with local flora books. Don't get popular general books on edible plants from all over the country - get localized info. Don't go for resources with black/white drawings, go for color. Plants can be deceptive and deadly in their physical similarities/attributes.

Also check out videos/books by Jim Meuninck, he is very good.

#5 ·
I suggest a couple guides instead of only one. A false identification can yield discomfort or death. That's not to suggest against foraging, only to emphasize the importance of multiple references. While you are learning, you'll have twice the pictures and twice the description to go by. It makes a huge difference.

The most important thing you can do is sample properly. Do not assume a positive identification until you have enough experience with that plant. In the short run, here's what to do when you think you have an edible plant.

1. If the plant is not an irritant, squish it and drop some of the juice on your wrist. Watch 2 hours for any form of rash or irritation. If irritation, wash immediately and do not consume.
2. If no irritation, prepare the plant for consumption and place 1/4 tsp of it between your bottom lip and gum. Go about other business and wait to see if you are bothered by it. Aside from irritation, you are watching for numbness and other negative signs. An unpleasant flavor often indicates an inedible plant. If no negative signs, proceed to step 3.
3. Consume a small portion of the plant and watch for any negative effect over the following 24 hours. If no issues, consume in moderation.

I follow the above sampling process with all my foraging, even with multiple references. I have had several false identifications when referencing only a single book; please do not take that chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.