Survivalist Forum banner

edible plants in arkansas

24K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Hick Industries 
#1 ·
i live in the ozarks and i can only think of maybe 4 or 5 edible plants indigenous to here. anyone got some info?:confused:

#3 ·
Edible plants are rarely listed by state, Hawaii being an exception. The reason is plants don't recognize state lines. There are dozens and dozens of edible species where you live. A good book is Edible Plants of North America by Elias and Dykeman, 2008 edition or later. Also, if you can get by without pictures (look those up on the internet) consider Edible Plants of the Gulf South by Charles M. Allen. (And if you're ever in Florida attend one of my classes, we have scores of plants in common.)

#5 ·
Why would someone write such a book then give it away? Most of the PDFs will be put out by state agencies and will be species specific. More to the point, there are perhaps 6,000 edible species in North America. Such a book would take a life time to compile and would be huge. Books tend to be regionalized and or of the most common plants found in North America. About 90% of the plants on my website will be found in your area. I have about 700 edible species on my site.

#6 ·
Not sure which 4 or 5 plants you are thinking of in the Ozarks, but I live in NE Arkansas in the foothills of the Ozarks and I am just starting to learn this stuff, but I can probably name and identify more than 4-5 plants in this area. Let's see what we can come up with:

sassafras
clover-red and white
cattails
plaintain
sheep sorrel
chickweek
pig weed
muscedines
black berries
dandelion

I am sure there are many many more, but that is all I could think of off the top of my head. My dad was actually very good at this kind of stuff, he was very into herbal teas and grew up on a farm where they recognized all of the various plants and trees. Unfortunately as I was growing up I did not value his knowledge as much as I should have and did not pump him for info like I should have. He passed away in 1991 and I miss him terribly.

#11 ·
I'm in north eastern Louisiana, much like Southern Arkansas for topography. We have lamb's quarters
dandelion
wild onions
wild blackberries/strawberries/blueberries/gooseberries
thistle
clover
acorns
pecans
hazelnuts
walnuts
cat tails
watercress
may haw
and many others. I found a local edibles field class with LSU ag center. I'm sure U of A has one, too. If so, sign up. They are fun, informative and a great family activity.

and, hello Neighbor! ((waving))

#14 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.